Hitfilm 2 Kickstarter Stretch Goals

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
First congrats on being a successful kickstarter.  I have to wait a couple more days before I can show my support and donate.
I saw the new stretch goals and they have me intrigued.  I am really hoping you guys hit the 40k level and that should be possible if pledges keep rolling in like they are.  I am curious... can we get some insider exclusive info on the stretch goal #2 for the
"So if you’d like procedural, anamorphic lens flares and cinematic grading, £40,000 is the target."
Cinematic grading is the wording which really caught my eye.

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Second that! I hope it's going to mean at least color curves  :D 
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Im more so hoping for scopes to more accurately tweek the colors to ensure that they are broadcast safe. 
    It would be nice if there was a whole slew of features.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, that one has me a bit excited as well.  As stated in the context, Cinematic Grading is a specific effect that will be added (if the goal is met).  I've still not seen it, so I can't say much as to what it will involve, but I do know that its referring to an effect, not to a general workflow or anything of that sort.  It does sound pretty cool though.
  • AmbiroaAmbiroa Website User Posts: 180 Just Starting Out
    If I pledge The Hitfilmer, do I get the PC version right now or is that also in November along with the Mac version? Also, what would be the minimum and recommended specs for Mac?
    Thank you.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Cantblendthis - Kickstarter serials will be sent out when the Mac version is released, around November. The reason we're doing it like that is to be fair to people buying the PC version direct from HitFilm.com. The offer is basically that you can get a great discount if you're OK with waiting until November.
    Just to stop the speculation going too wild - we're not talking scopes or curves here. But both of the proposed effects have a LOT of customisation options.
  • AmbiroaAmbiroa Website User Posts: 180 Just Starting Out
    Fair enough, thanks. Hopefully my paycheck is coming soon  8-| 
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    Well, it would seem that stretch goal #1 was just hit, so a huge thanks again to all of our backers, and to RodyPolis who is working with us to fullfill the reward that particular goal.
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    Yay, 35k! Once you guys reach 50k, that means free Hitfilm for everyone right?
  • TomMcTomMc Website User Posts: 112 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2013
    Don't speak too soon people, pledges can be cancelled and changed right up until the last minute...
    A big pledge was cancelled, so we've dropped back below £35K, but hopefully we'll be back up there soon.
    On the plus side, it does mean that a great tier is available again:
    Pledge £395 or more
    (Approx. $600) THE SCHOLAR
    : A live, one-on-one, personalised, online training session (minimum 1 hour) + HitFilm 2 Ultimate Limited Edition luxury box signed by the FXhome team (includes: Mac & PC software, tutorials compilation CD, t-shirt, mousepad, badge, postcard set) + your name on an in-program credits screen + special backer badge on the HitFilm.com forums + 3D models & stock pack.
    anyone want some 1 to 1 training from Simon?
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    Yea, just realized that. We jinxed it!
    And we're back again over 35k  ;) 
    Just to clarify this, if the second stretch goal is reached and the two new effects are developed, will they be a free update to all existing HitFilm 2 licenses? Or are they restricted to Ultimate users or backers only or something like that?
    Also, going to back the kickstarter too, just need to make sure I can use my dad's credit card for that - don't have one  :D 
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    If we hit the 2nd stretch goal, the new effects will be added to HitFilm 2 Ultimate, both Mac and PC, including all current users. They won't be backer-only. Though it does mean it's in all HitFilm 2 Ultimate users' interests to get us up to that 2nd stretch goal....... ;)
    Thanks in advance, Robin - if you're able to convince your dad. :P
    Thanks for the clarification Simon!
    I'm afraid I can't pledge very much (yeah, students and money...), but hey, if there were no drops in the ocean there wouldn't be an ocean at all right?!  ;) 
    So that image that represents the cinematic grading looks very interesting.
    I know hitfilm has helped to produce some of the amazing content by freddie wrong & other creatives and have shot their own content too.  Have you guys considered a FXHome produced feature?  A successful kickstarter clearly proves your influence and reach.  By the conversations reviewing movies and directors, I can tell there are some hitfilm staff members who may have some ideas on content.  Has the idea ever been kicked around?  Action/Sci Fi is something you guys seem to really have a firm grasp in making and that is also something thats insanely popular. 
    I know FXhome is not a production company, so money laying around to make a feature is non existant.
    @Simon In the FXhome Newsletter it oulines stretch goals at the bottom with a picture for each of the goals. 
    anamorphic.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Ah, that image is actually a preview of the anamorphic flares, not the cinematic grading stuff. :)
    We've dabbled in film production in the past, primarily with Fracture. It's a fun, creative and rewarding experience but our general conclusion is that it doesn't really tie in with what we want to do as a company, and actually distracts us from our main focus. Producing a feature would be a massive task and we'd have no time left to make software. It's not so much a money issue as a time issue.
    What we tend to focus on is getting involved with other people's projects. So either locally through It's A Trap, or the short films that Josh is currently working on, or more international projects such as the Compound Fracture movie, Video Game High School, The Dark Knight Binges - that makes a lot more sense for us as a company, as we can focus our efforts on post, making use of HitFilm, and everything ties together more logically.
    An exception, obviously, is our own promo films. The HitFilm 2 trailer we produced last year was the biggest production we'd ever tried and it turned out great (if I may say so myself). Chances are we might do similar things again in future, though as with the trailer it's important to bring in outside talent - hence we had Martin Swift direct and Jake Scott DP, while I headed up the VFX and Tom edited.
    It's all about using the skills we have in the most efficient manner, so that both the company and our customers get the best possible return on the investment.
    Well I have an idea for a contest of sorts based on that.  If hitfilm for mac is just dollars... or better yet pounds away from hitting its #3 stretch goal by the end this would be the "bonus prize" for getting close that would be useful with any additional funds.
    The Hitfilm 2 trailer was great because it asks the idea What is your idea?  I think the follow up trailer should be a contest.  Here is my idea! is  a contest where users come up with a short that will be compiled into the next trailer Hitfilm trailer and probably debut right with Hitfilm for Mac.  You have to start similar to how the trailer starts each transition where someone says "Here is my idea for a great film" and then its a minute long short.  When you submit it your sign a document, something saying that yes you are 18 or older and its your content and nothing violates copyright and that this contest is legal where you live, and scan and email it in.  FXhome would pick contestants to move on and submit their project files.  FXhome can make tweaks to help improve the quality. 
    FXhome would outline the genres to be used to avoid all submissions being sci fi/action  shorts and encourage the filmmakers who do not do action or sci fi to come up with something for the contest.
    The prize would be based on the extra funds if Hitfilm for mac does not hit the #3 stretch goal.  Maybe 4 winners get a GTX titan or their choice of GPU.  Or a processor or something clever.
    We just bumped over the £40,000 mark.  As we have seen, this could still change and go down, but its pretty safe to assume that the #2 stretch goal will be secure once the Kickstarter ends 3 days from now.  Super exciting to see.
    Im glad... I wanna as much hype as possible for HItfilm.  Im surprised you guys haven't been elevated to kickstarters front page.
    Interesting idea, MJ! We've kicked around various ideas for a community-based film over the years. It's definitely something - as a loose concept - I have a lot of interest in, and I know Tom and Josh do as well. The trick is in figuring out its specific focus. For example, your idea is based around a community project also serving as a HitFilm promo, but that inherently then requires it to be of a certain quality, and to fit certain criteria that are more business-focused than creativity-focused.  It's a complicated concept to flesh out into a firm idea, basically!
    I think it'd be too complex a message to put out as an additional stretch goal - it's a whole other project, really - but it's something I'd definitely like to come back to, in one form or another, at some point.
    Back to the Kickstarter, and it's great that we tipped over the second stretch goal overnight. We're only just over, though, so we'll definitely be working at securing it a bit more over the next few days. Aside from backers and you guys, *I* want to see these new effects in HitFilm as well, so that I can use them. :P
    I was going to wait to donate and try to be the last 100 bucks to put hitfilm at 45k... but I figured id just forget so I just gave you my money now.  Congrats on a mega successful kickstarter.  If there is any extra money left over buy yourselves a 30 pack of bud light.... and then pour it out.  Your hard work deserves better then shi*** beer.  Oh and if anyone chimes in about pabst or natty ice being better... that is a boldface lie.
  • DewrDewr Website User Posts: 129 Enthusiast
    My sentiments exactly Michael, although I would recommend some Shepherd Neame Master Brew.  It has been amazingly successful, and i can't wait to use it.
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    Just pledged!  :) 
    (would've pledged more if I could, but still saving up my bucks to finally upgrade to HF2!  ;) )
    There should be a crazy #4 stretch goal added as a quick hail Mary. Like if we can hit 50k then everyone gets beta tester access to the new updates.
    Massive thanks to all of you who have backed the project, at whatever level. A lot of you have been backing us for a long time by purchasing & using the software, plus talking about it here and anywhere else you can, and we appreciate that massively.
    The success of the project has really helped us in getting the word out about HitFilm, and that will have benefits for us of course, but will also allow us to continue developing the software and making it better for you guys.
    I imagine we'll be having a drink or two tomorrow, in this part of the world it will likely be a pint or two of Woodefords, maybe an Adnams, or if you're Josh, a Rum Old Fashioned!
    I was going to make a metric system joke but everyone knows what a pint is over here.
    I was going to make a metric system joke but everyone knows what a pint is over here.

I've had quite a few pints in the States - I'm rather partial to a Brooklyn IPA myself!

Well I think I know what NAB event is going to happen.  Hit the bars with the Hitfilm team.
  • DewrDewr Website User Posts: 129 Enthusiast
    Nearly at £50,000 with 16 hours to go