Sony Vegas integration with Hitfilm Problem

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
So I started working on an old project of mine that had I had started when Hitfilm 2 Ultimate was first released.  THe program is edited in Vegas but color grading and effects were added through the HItfilm integration.  Well after I did all that hard work and went through several clips and regularly saved it...  like half my clips  went dark and if I scrolled the playhead over them I couldn't see anything.  If I used the "add effect with hitfilm" button Hitfilm would open it up and show me my clip just fine.  The next day all  those clips started saying Offline Material  in a red box.  All my drives are connected and have the same lettering since yesterday.
I know this is automatically sounding like a sony problem but apparently their tech support is no Hitfilm tech support and so there are people waiting on similar issues.
I am going to uninstaller Vegas Pro 12 and then reinstall it and hope that works.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I've recently noticed a application running in the background with very high (well noticeable) CPU usage.  FXmediaServer will hit 19% and I do not know if that is related.
  • AvalonAvalon Website User Posts: 96
    Did you save the Vegas-connected HitFilm project under a new name? This would cause Vegas Pro to be unable to find the HitFilm project.
    No I would never change the names... I always just hit save and then close hitfilm.

+ some of the footage if showing and other is not... but they are all in the same folder on the same drive.

So I decided I am going to just power through and export everything through Hitfilm so I get the version I need and then recut it to try to match things up.  That's when I started noticing a problem...  All the files that I started opening in hitfilm started being considered offline in Sony Vegas.  I can still add effect in hitfilm(in vegas) and do whatever I need.  Then going back into Vegas it shows as offline material.
    So I don't know what the problem is... but I made a work around by cutting the file into 3 separate Sony Vegas files.  I have noticed that FXMediaQTServer(32 bit) and HitfilmServer keeps running in the background processes when I am only using Sony Vegas.  THe FXmediaQTServer is still running even though I closed Sony Vegas.  Its hogging 17.5% of my CPU.  These are Mov files... Hopefully this can help Hitfilm figure out whatever is gumming Sony up. 
  • Marshall199Marshall199 Website User Posts: 5
    Isn't the fxmediaqtserver the quicktime codec in Vegas? My thought is that it starts up when Vegas does.. Also it would make sense the hitfilm server would be going if there are HF files in the Vegas project..

I do have a couple of thoughts on the issue you described. I was flipping through the Vegas manual (I use movie studio, thinking it would help me) and I saw something about order of install. Had you recently updated Vegas? If so then it says to uninstall both Vegas and HF, then reinstall starting with Vegas first.

When I saw it in the manual I thought of this thread, hope it helps!

Marshall
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    FXMediaQTServer.exe on my system is in \Program Files\FXhome\HitFilm 2 Ultimate, so I'm guessing it's one of the frame servers provided by FXHome/HF used by Vegas for the integration.
    Michael, as a reference, here's what seems to happen on my system. 
    Assuming niether HF or Vegas running, when I start Vegas with no project, FXMediaQTServer is not running (No FXhome executables are).
    Once I add a video and use Add Hitfilm effect, of course it starts up all kinds of FXhome executables (two copies of FXMediaQTServer.exe, HitFilmServer.exe,HitFilmUltimate.exe and Skyway_Guard.exe).
    Once I exit HF, Only one copy of FXMediaQTServer.exe and HitFilmServer.exe are running.
    If I start a new project in Vegas, so no HF connections are needed, The last two stay running.
    If I exit Vegas however, FXMediaQTServer.exe and HitFilmServer.exe both stop running.  It sounds like on your system, this is not the case.  Once you exit Vegas, do you still have any vegas processes running?
  • moneybanks3moneybanks3 Website User Posts: 3
    so hitfilms isnt showing up in vegas 13 or vegas 12 on my laptop but it was showing up AND working on my laptop before when i had just vegas 13. Now it shows up on my desktop in both but when i try to add a clip from vegas 2 hitfilms off the timeline i get an unknown error and it never opens up, but hitfilms works by itsself i just want that intergration back it was excellent, if i had known it wouldnt work at all on my laptop i would have stuck with vegas 12 altogether cause this is horse dung 
  • mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    so hitfilms isnt showing up in vegas 13 or vegas 12 on my laptop but it was showing up AND working on my laptop before when i had just vegas 13. Now it shows up on my desktop in both but when i try to add a clip from vegas 2 hitfilms off the timeline i get an unknown error and it never opens up, but hitfilms works by itsself i just want that intergration back it was excellent, if i had known it wouldnt work at all on my laptop i would have stuck with vegas 12 altogether cause this is horse dung 

I think you have to install HF after vegas for the link to work correctly so when I added vegas 13 he other day I just uninstalled HF and reinstalled it and everything was fine might be worth a go.

i did that it didnt work but thanks 
    yeah i sent in a ticket earlier today and they just responded back. i hope i dont have to try for sony support ive read alot of forums and like you said noone gets help from them...
  • JEROMEMCFADDENJEROMEMCFADDEN Website User Posts: 7

I have the same problem. I purchased Vegas pro 13 suite with Hitfilm and it doesn't integrate. I Found when you right click in windows 10 in the uninstall program feature it brings up a box to: change, repair or uninstall. if you choose change you will see vegas integration is not checked. I check it and continue to change program. it acts like its changing something but when you go back to the box ,vegas is still not integrated.  Can any one help. or is windows 10 not supported.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,296 Ambassador

Jerome, first question is did you install Vegas first? Vegas needs to install first for the integration plugin to install. 

Otherwise neither Vegas or Hitfilm currently list Windows 10 as a supported OS. We may need patches from Sony and FxHome. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,948 Enthusiast

SCS does state that Windows 10 is officially supported for Vegas, et al.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?messageid=929420

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,296 Ambassador

I stand corrected. Good to know. Thanks, @NormanPCN

• JEROMEMCFADDENJEROMEMCFADDEN Website User Posts: 7

Yes i installed vegas first still no change. Did this several times actually .I still think its in the installer or windows 10. Tell me why windows will install certain programs to the old side of windows the choice of icons on the desk top and programs like Hitfilm no choice and it installs  in the metro side?