Proxy Files

UmzikyUmziky Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out
I'm having very poor performance when editing, even without adding any FX to my clips from my 650D.
This is solved if I compress my clips pretty harshly before editing, but I obviously don't want to render my video with such awful quality.
Hitfilm is missing a pretty essential feature - to replace the video files. I'd want to replace my compressed files with my good-quality files before I render. I can't find this anywhere - please tell me if I'm missing something.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    We don't have proxying at the moment, sorry. What spec is your computer? And are you running 8-bit or 16-bit projects in HitFilm? You can often get considerably better video performance in 8-bit mode.
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    Isn't that achievable by moving the location of the low quality files on your hard drive, and reconnecting them to the high quality versions? Hitfilm does give you the option to relocate missing files, right?
  • UmzikyUmziky Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out
    We don't have proxying at the moment, sorry. What spec is your computer? And are you running 8-bit or 16-bit projects in HitFilm? You can often get considerably better video performance in 8-bit mode.

I've always used 8-bit mode.
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    CPU:AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (Overclocked to 4 GHz)
    8 GB RAM
    If there's nothing wrong with those, could it be my hard drive? It's nothing amazing. Just a casual 2TB SATA 3, 7200rpm.

Isn't that achievable by moving the location of the low quality files on your hard drive, and reconnecting them to the high quality versions? Hitfilm does give you the option to relocate missing files, right?

That could be worth a try.
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478

I've always used 8-bit mode.
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    CPU:AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (Overclocked to 4 GHz)
    8 GB RAM
    If there's nothing wrong with those, could it be my hard drive? It's nothing amazing. Just a casual 2TB SATA 3, 7200rpm.

That could be worth a try.

Your system specs should be fine, I ran a similar setup before upgrading and it was never really an issue editing.  Have you updated your video card drivers recently? 

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I think Simon just let a new feature slip..  Hitfilm 2 Ultimate version 2.1 update... Proxy files.
  • UmzikyUmziky Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2013
    Your system specs should be fine, I ran a similar setup before upgrading and it was never really an issue editing.  Have you updated your video card drivers recently? 

Cool, and yeah my drivers are up to date. I also noticed that 720p editing isn't that laggy. But the framerate on 1080 is really low.

I think Simon just let a new feature slip..  Hitfilm 2 Ultimate version 2.1 update... Proxy files.

I sure hope so! :D

• NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    I've been converting my video files to DNxHD. It retains the video quality while reducing the file size. Its made a huge difference for me when working in HitFilm.
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    For those converting to DNxHD, what settings are you using? Mine sometimes seem to be bigger than the original.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    For those converting to DNxHD, what settings are you using? Mine sometimes seem to be bigger than the original.

I use:
    Color: 709
    Alpha: None
    1080p 145 8-bit
    or sometimes
    1080p 36   8-bit
    Depending on what type of file format your starting with you may get a smaller file size but, I didnt mean the give the impression that the file size makes it run better. DNxHD just seems to run better with HitFilm than other formats. 

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

I use:
    Color: 709
    Alpha: None
    1080p 145 8-bit
    or sometimes
    1080p 36   8-bit
    Depending on what type of file format your starting with you may get a smaller file size but, I didnt mean the give the impression that the file size makes it run better. DNxHD just seems to run better with HitFilm than other formats. 

From what little I've played with DNxHD, I agree, HF seems to playback better when adding effects than files straight from my Canon 7D, but I seem to keep running into other issues.  I just need to find the time to experiment some to see what's going to work best for me.  Thanks for the settings - gives me a place to start.