Cache Memory Limit 4GB?

hjscott7690hjscott7690 Website User Posts: 1
Hi,
I am having an issue with the performance of HitFilm 2 Ultimate when creating atomic particle or Particle systems. I understand that most of the 3D layers and/or simulators consume a huge amount of resources from the computer, but it just seems like i should be able to push these systems alot further then what i am getting now. Also i wanted to know why there is a cache limit on this program and it be changed, the Highest it will allow me to go is 4096MB.
Thank you.
CPU: Intel i7 Quad 4.25GHZ
Memory: 32GB 1800MHz
GPU: 2x Geforce 660Ti 2GB GDDR5
Drivers: Up-to-Date

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,436 Staff
    edited May 2013
    Hi,
    I am having an issue with the performance of HitFilm 2 Ultimate when creating atomic particle or Particle systems. I understand that most of the 3D layers and/or simulators consume a huge amount of resources from the computer, but it just seems like i should be able to push these systems alot further then what i am getting now. Also i wanted to know why there is a cache limit on this program and it be changed, the Highest it will allow me to go is 4096MB.
    Thank you.
    CPU: Intel i7 Quad 4.25GHZ
    Memory: 32GB 1800MHz
    GPU: 2x Geforce 660Ti 2GB GDDR5
    Drivers: Up-to-Date

Hi,
    At this present moment in time the maximum size for the Cache (Preview) is 4GB & it cannot be increased any further. We are looking to update this area at some point in the near future as in your case, some machines have access to a lot more RAM.
    Keep checking the blog & our social network channels for information on any updates to the software.
    Sorry I can't be of more help
    Thanks,
    Ady 

• HireTheStacheHireTheStache Website User Posts: 18
    Whats the purpose of having 64bit software if it cannot utilize a system with higher-than-32bit-specs?
  • AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,436 Staff
    Whats the purpose of having 64bit software if it cannot utilize a system with higher-than-32bit-specs?

Hi,
    As previously stated, this is an area we are looking at, the Cache preview is something we wish to improve. Ideally it needs to be more intelligent & allow users to adjust their Cache values according to their specifications whilst not compromising stability which can happen when adjusting Cache / RAM usage.

• tekguytekguy Website User Posts: 1
    I was able to bump up the value in REGEDIT
    Here
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FXhome\HitFilm 2 Ultimate\Options]
    check under
    "PreviewCacheMB"=dword:00002000
    Which equals to 8192 MB
    I have 32GB on my Windows so I can't really tell if this helped but when I check the options in HITFILM2 I does show cache preview as 8192MB.
  • IdrankwhatIdrankwhat Website User Posts: 131
    I was able to bump up the value in REGEDIT
    Here
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FXhome\HitFilm 2 Ultimate\Options]
    check under
    "PreviewCacheMB"=dword:00002000
    Which equals to 8192 MB
    I have 32GB on my Windows so I can't really tell if this helped but when I check the options in HITFILM2 I does show cache preview as 8192MB.

Trying this it seems to not make any difference in preview at least on my machine.

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    The reason is so they can implement this update at some point. To get hitfilm 2 out I am sure they had to limit the features they were adding. You can't chase down every idea in the beginning or you will never put out a product. If you just leave room for that improvement later... like making it a 64 bit program... you can code for a higher ram setting while everyone is enjoying what you put out.
  • Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

Bump

Are we still really stuck with 4 GB ram preview cache in HF3 ?