Visionlab to new El Capitan I-Mac??? Hitfilm Suggestions???

billy82billy82 Website User Posts: 3

I know I may be wasting my breath on this one, and yea still need to eventually upgrade to hitfilm soon, but I have just acquired a new Imac OS X 10.11 El Capitan with most of the specs topped off. I still also run on my old OS X 10.5.8 for my old programs including Visionlab Studios (still love this software). 

I do recall the software allowed 3 devices to be set up with it. I'm just curious to if it might work with my new Imac. And if not, as far as Hitfilm goes, whats my best investment and learning curve option as I have not yet had the opportunity to work with it yet but I hear good things all the time.

I know I'm a bit oldschool here but any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,238 Staff

You are kind of on your own trying to run VisionLab on a modern Mac. It wasn't designed for that at all. I would recommend grabbing HitFilm 3 Express, its free and already has most of the tools that VisionLab had: http://hitfilm.com/express

And you can add even more effects and options through the variety of add-on packs that can be purchased for the software. Its a great way to get familiar with the HitFilm interface and workflow, which is significantly different (improved) from VisionLab.

• billy82billy82 Website User Posts: 3

Cool. Although I take it I would need the full package of 3 or 4 to utilize things like the lightsaber and other presets and everything right?

I tried it a while back and while I didn't really have alot of time to play with it on a friends computer, the interface was a bit confusing compared to Visionlab. It was the free version and it didn't come with alot of the stuff I work with.

Also any tutorials available on things as this is still going to be a learning curve for me since I'm trying to get back into film after an absence. 

• billy82billy82 Website User Posts: 3

And btw, it's Billy from that Godzilla Battle Royale film if you recall. I remember you were very helpful whenever I ran into bugs/issues with Vision Lab which was the main program I used for that film. And also one of the reasons the film got over 1 million hits on Youtube within a year.

Just wanted to say thanks again for that.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Best place to start with tutorials is here: http://hitfilm.com/video-tutorials

Check out Axel's 'Start here' tutorials and you should get up to speed in a few hours.

VisionLab is over a decade old, which also makes me feel old. It also means there's a good chance it won't work with modern computers, just like I'm starting to find modern technology confusing.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

@billy82 we're also a friendly and active forum. Just the front pafe of the techniques forum will cover a range of beginning to advanced topics. 

I loved Battle Royale, btw. All of your kaiju films, really.