Magic Lantern: Free Canon EOS Firmware Enhancement

B3NB4ILB3NB4IL Website User Posts: 74
I directed a music video teaser shoot the other day, and a few days before it, my camera operator told me he's found, "Magic Lantern" firmware upgrade for his Canon 600D. He sent me to the website to have a look at it and it looked pretty cool. Running from your SD card allowing you more adjustable features in your camera. 
We used it the other day on location, sadly he didn't dedicate any time learning about it before the shoot so my knowledge on it first hand is quite low, but from what I used, it's a nice update and allows some nifty features, such as a focus marker allowing you to see where your focus is, and some FPS overdrives, etc.
But I thought I'd leave it here for you Canon users (as they haven't created it for any other brands yet) but it seems to work fine, and it's free and easy to install and uninstall. I'm a Nikon user at the moment so I'm afraid I can't really offer any experience with it.
Here's the link!
http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Best of all: They managed to get true RAW video from the sensor of the 5D in a pre-alpha version, and it looks awesome!
    Now if only the 650D/t4i was supported...
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Yea magic lantern is pretty popular and has some nifty features.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I've only ever used it very, very briefly. The kind of shooting I tend to do on my 60D, the default firmware is fine. But it's definitely very clever stuff. Might look into it some more in the future should I embark on another filmy project.
  • PhilWessonPhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    edited May 2013
    I use it on every shoot, but only certain parts. It's great for having finer control of fps, more ISO options, knowing where your focus is, HDR bracketing (more useful for photography, obviously), crop marks and more. Plus, I have it set to Zebras, so that I can tell which parts of my image are overexposed before shooting. It saves a lot of time and headaches. 
    photo.JPG?format=1000w
    Just a quick shot of the interface while I'm at my desk. Red= Overexposed. Blue=focus peak, then all your relevant info on the top and bottom, also, the top blue bars are the audio levels. 
    If you can't tell, I highly recommend it.
  • fredclipsfredclips Website User Posts: 228
    I like the time lapse stuff and Rack Focus with the arrow keys is very handy.