ShellShock

Comments

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Posts: 190 Enthusiast
    All three videos are just WOW!
  • TylerDarden
    TylerDarden Posts: 76 Enthusiast
    4ccd304bb9f2.png
    Happy to report that my next short film "Stalingrad" is almost done!
    But now I need some help.
    In the film has little phrases and dialogues, and they are in Russian, of course. Right now I'm doing English subtitles, but my English is far from perfect. So I need someone who could correct the text. And I hope that some of my English-speaking friends on this forum can help me with this.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    What is the word count?
  • TylerDarden
    What is the word count?

About 300.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,529 Ambassador
    I am willing to take a look at your subtitles. I have done work before adjusting subtitles for some Korean and Middle Eastern film makers/game programmers before, and your word count is pretty small.
    I do want to point out I am American, simply because you might get a slightly different result from me rather than someone British or Australian because of minor dialect/spelling differences between different countries English (example: "Truck," Apartment," "Color" in American English vs "Lorry," "Flat," "Colour" in British English.
    Feel free to private message, or communicate in this thread as you wish. Given the quality of your work, I bet you'll get other volunteers, because we're all already expecting "Stalingrad" to be fantastic.
  • TylerDarden
    Here we go. Finally, I am proud to introduce to you my new short! This work took more than six months. This time the action is not so much, but it should be much more interesting.
    Thanks Triem 23 - there are English subtitles, and I hope you all enjoy this story. 
    I look forward to your comments!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yT9Ej-G1gs
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,089 Staff
    Wow. You outdid yourself on this one!
    I have a couple of comments (SPOILERS for those who haven't seen it):
    1) You were talking about the english subtitles a bit earlier and they were all great except for 7:25 when he says "So lets aren't waiting around to do it". It doesn't quite make sense but I'm not sure what it would be replaced with. 
    2) The use of the camera on the television (I'm assuming you used a GoPro?) was great and really unique.
    3) The grenade in the wheel was a really awesome idea - but I cringed a little at the stock audio there when they explode. It sounds like the screams you hear on 90's games - really high and split and not what you'd expect from the characters really. 
    4) Usually the fact that both assailants have two guns and seem unable to hit each other would really annoy me, but you've got the choreography so perfect that it seems absolutely right. They have no opportunity to shoot each other despite being cm away. Really well done on that!
    5) The knife was a little graphic but I really liked the scene after that where you focused in on the blue of his eyes. You didn't need to show the graphic part - just the eyes told us everything we needed to know. 
    So yeah - my hat off to you sir. Please be sure to put this on the movie wall - five stars! :) 
  • TylerDarden
    KirstieT, thank you so much!
    1) Well, perhaps there is something wrong. I'm not good at English to notice that. Sorry.
    2) This shot on GoPro Hero 3.
    3) It was the "Wilhelm Scream." It is used in every Hollywood film. Just a little easter egg.))
    4) Thank you!
    5) And thank you again))
    You are an amazing spectator!
  • Triem23
    Kristie, I

Wow. You outdid yourself on this one!
    I have a couple of comments (SPOILERS for those who haven't seen it):
    1) You were talking about the english subtitles a bit earlier and they were all great except for 7:25 when he says "So lets aren't waiting around to do it". It doesn't quite make sense but I'm not sure what it would be replaced with. 
    So yeah - my hat off to you sir. Please be sure to put this on the movie wall - five stars! :) 
    Kristie, I did the last pass on the subtitle script, and suggested "And we aren't waiting to do it." I think it's referencing the fact the room isn't sterile. This was under a hard deadline for Tyler (making submission deadlines for festivals), and if I had realized how tight it was I would have done the pass BEFORE going to Downtown Los Angeles Film Festival, not after getting home. Short turnaround time from script edit being turned it. He probably missed that line in retype.
    You can edit YouTube subtitles without re-upload of video, right?
  • TylerDarden
    Triem 23, if line "And we aren't waiting to do it." more correct, I will fix it.))
  • Triem23
    Tyler, now that I have seen it, I have a couple of line changes. There are a couple of things I didn't catch from not seeing the film. I will PM them in a few minutes. As soon as I get the time codes.
    Wow, this is gorgeous. Are you still shooting with a Rebel t3i and Gopro?
    The shots are beautiful, the pacing is fantastic, the choreography is gorgeous. Your last film proved you can tell a complex story visually, and this film shows you can shoot a monolog/reaction scene and make it compelling.
    Loved it. This should get you into festivals and get you more work.
  • TylerDarden
    Triem23, yes, I still shooting with a Rebel t2i and this is first project where I use GoPro.
    Thanks for the help! It would be great if this film will be accepted by some festivals.
  • TylerDarden
    11000 views per day! Wow. It's a hit!))
  • Triem23
    Holy hell, it was only at 3200 views four hours before I typed this!
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Phenomenal work, Tyler! There's some ridiculously inventive action stuff in here. Your style reminds me of both John Woo and Michael Bay's early work (before they both got a bit rubbish). There's a freshness to the way you shoot and edit action which makes it really exciting. Ideas like the computer monitor mace and the grenade-in-a-tyre keep the viewer (and the bad guys) guessing all the way through.
    It's that innovation that makes it work - the actual story content is fairly ordinary (prisoner escapes, has a shootout, gets revenge), but you approach it in a really unique way.
    Having said that, your story work in Stalingrad is MASSIVELY improved from Lockout and previous stuff. You have characters with motivations, you have proper dialogue, your actors do fine work. The Stalingrad theme is introduced neatly and the payoff at the end is perfectly timed and executed. Even small things, like the main bad guy only taking the exact money he was owed, add a huge amount to the overall experience - that one action makes him interesting: suddenly he isn't just a Generic Bad Guy, but somebody with clear motivations and some kind of professional code; he's evidently a professional and has done this many times.
    On the VFX side, it all works extremely well except for the very first shot of the bullet impacts, which stood out a bit and seemed over-bright and too obviously CG. After that it all works really well. The gore enhancements are particularly effective: the kick of the head into the wall is nasty and entirely unexpected. Would love to see a VFX breakdown, or just some stills, of how you did some of that stuff.
    The best thing is that your VFX are incorporated into your visual style perfectly. It all feels part of the same thing.
  • TylerDarden
    Simon, can I just hug you?
  • TylerDarden
    TWENTY freaking THOUSAND views in two days! This is insane!
  • jonesbros
    jonesbros Posts: 54
    Totally Awesome! This deserves millions of views.
  • Triem23
    I've said a lot of this in PM, but I'm going public-record:
    This is just an excellent piece of film making! As Simon Jones noted, the plot line is simple enough, but the way the action is staged, shot and edited keeps it moving along and keeps it a lot of fun to watch. Simon Jones compared it to early John Woo, but to me it was more early Robert Rodriguez. Oh, look, you just got compared to two of the greatest action directors in the world! (Simon, I CAN'T go with Michael Bay--he's always been rubbish, with the possible exception of his "Playboy Video Centerfold shoot." Not that I've seen it, but even Michael Bay can't screw up just shooting a naked woman because she's naked.)
    Visually, you show that it's possible to get truly beautiful looking footage off fairly low-end gear (Rebel t2i, GoPro3). The camera moves are creative and lend a good sense of motion to the film without becoming trapped in so many quick-cuts and shakey-cam that you lose track of the action. Every motion is clear and serves the storytelling. You make good use of the GoPro to get some really creative shots (I agree with everyone else that the spinning computer monitor is a great gag) without using it TOO much!.
    Your VFX work is consistently high quality--again, as Simon noted, there's one or two wall hits that are a little bright, and there's one bullet shell that's a little too crisp in frame, but the compositing, muzzle flashes, wall hits, explosions work very well, indeed. Some of the kills are BRUTAL! And you did a good job with the digital blood enhancements. Usually, CGI blood looks terrible--and I'm talking CGI blood looks terrible in a $100 million Hollywood film--but you used it correctly and integrated with with practical blood. The one shot where your hero takes off a thug's head with the computer monitor looks so good I thought you had a practical model! I'm guessing it's CG, but, again, it looks like you did a full head-sculpt, filled it with blood and smacked it off with a monitor! Again, to agree with Simon, I would love to see a VFX breakdown!
    Acting. Good job! This is your first film with dialog, and it shows that you can write nuanced speech and get a compelling performance from your actors. The "Stalingrad" theme plays out nicely, and, with minimal speech, you've managed to create three distinct characters: The head kidnapper only has three lines of dialog, but in those three lines, you let us know that he is a "thief with honor," who sees himself as a professional. (He is certainly not a butcher). Your torturer is compelling--and his speeches about video games and his grandfather in WWII give him some nice depth and backstory. Again, you have another professional doing his job, yet we also know that he has a sense of history and admiration for the ways of the past, and get a glimpse of his frustration with the way things currently are. Your hero's lines bring up a nice contrast between him and the torturer with the differences in their family histories and allegiances as well as tying up the entire "Stalingrad" theme.
    Music. It fits the visuals and the story. You've written your music more in the "create a mood" style (Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams) that's been very popular for the last decade. My personal preference is for more "thematic/motif" driven soundtracks (John Williams, John Barry, Danny Elfman from "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" through "Mars Attacks."), but the music you wrote is at a quality level equal to current soundtrack styles. Again, good work. (Another reason to compare you to Robert Rodriguez. Not TOO many film makers write, shoot, direct, edit AND do the soundtrack--Rodriguez and John Carpenter are really the only two Hollywood directors I can think of who do that.)
    The ONLY thing I'm not a fan of is the use of the "Willheim" scream--Yes, I know it's an "in" joke for sound editors, but, for me, it's a joke that's been played out. As soon as I hear a Willheim scream, my brain notices it and logs it, which means, for about three seconds I'm taken out of the movie. That's just my opinion.
    I greatly enjoyed "Lockout" and your Lazer Tag commercial--I'm such a fan that, when you asked for subtitle help I immediately volunteered because, based on "Lockout" and the "Stalingrad" trailer you had something really special in the works. "Stalingrad" is, overall, a huge improvement in your work--you kept the exciting, innovate and clear visuals of your previous work, and added in characters with motivation and depth, and compelling dialog scenes. As someone who was already a fan of your work, I'm proud to have done my own small part, and I hope that the edits I made to your subtitles made the dialog flow for English-speaking audiences and correctly supported the meaning and intent of your story.
    This is a truly excellent short film. I would be utterly shocked if you didn't get picked up by some festivals, and I am certain that adding this to your reel is going to get you some more work. You should be very proud of what you and your cast and crew have done.
    Hey! You've topped 26,000 views in one day! This beats the total views for "Lockout!" Obviously, I'm not the only one enjoying this project. Congratulations, and very much looking forward to seeing what's next from you!
  • TylerDarden
    edited July 2014
    Jonesbros, thank you very much!
    Treim23, wow, it's very nice review! Thank you! I'm glad you did not regret that agreed to help me. I think that so many views because English subtitles enable to capture a worldwide audience. Without them the film would be of interest only to those who understand in Russian.
    Now I'm think about making some VFX breakdown for all you.))
  • KirstieT
    Congrats on the amazing views :) PLEASE do make a VFX breakdown - I think you'd cause simultaneous swooning across the HitFilm community.
  • TylerDarden
    Especially for my friends on this forum I have made this vfx breakdown:
    https://vimeo.com/102943472
    Meanwhile, the film has already gained almost 100,000 views! And was selected for the competitive program of one of the biggest Russian festival of short films (http://korochekino.com/#fest). Our "Stalingrad" will compete with the works of professional directors. And I got some very interesting offers from film producers.
    Definitely - it is a success.))
  • Triem23
    Congratulations. I have never had any doubt that STALINGRAD would get you into festivals and get you work. And it will pass 100,000 views any day now. You just did such a good job on that film! Yay! VFX breakdown!
  • Triem23
    edited August 2014
    Areseny, I see you've already read my previous post, so--new post. :-)
    Wow--that's a really great VFX breakdown! While I think it's pretty obvious that things like muzzle flashes, explosions, blood and bullet shells were composited in--only because we know you didn't have a budget, not because anything looks bad, because everything looks really good--I think other people are going to be as surprised as I was about some of the things that were composited in! The street sign at the beginning is a good example, and the one Merc's belt is another great example! I'm going to assume that pretty much nobody in the world besides you had any idea that a BELT was a composite overlay. I also didn't realize that some of fight work was composited--I did realize (for example) the guy getting kneed into the pillar was VFX work, but not that shot you showed of your hero spin-kicing the merc in the face!
    Large flashy special effects look cool, but they also have a tendency to stand out--to use Avengers as an example, no matter how good the CGI on Hulk is, we're always going to know he's VFX--because he's a 12 foot tall green guy with exaggerated proportions. What's most impressive to me is the VFX for correction or enhancement. VFX that do subtle things that go completely un-noticed. Things like... belts, signs, or the blood splatter on the monitor during the GoPro shots. I thought you'd just put a little bit of fake blood on that monitor before shooting! It never occurred to me that was a composite. Also the enhancements on the blood on the torturer's pants leg at the end--thought you put blood on his leg, no idea you'd enhanced it with CGI.
    If Stalingrad the film showed off your command of camera, editing and storytelling, this breakdown shows your command of VFX. Very nicely done work, sir. I wish you luck at your festival and with your producer meetings!
    I went ahead and re-shared the film on my Facebook account as well as the VFX breakdown. Thank you for that, again. Very informative work. Again, thank you for allowing me to assist on subtitles. I think the amount of views you have indicates I kept you storytelling intent intact while making things flow a little more.
    You have earned this success Arseny. Congratulations, again!
    I sent you a PM as well--just noting that, with your festival screening, you may be eligible for IMDB listing!
  • KirstieT
    edited August 2014
    Hey Tyler/Arseny/ShellShock - SO MANY congratulations on the offers from film directors, and for your place in the KOROCHE Festival :)
    I'll make sure that everyone has a chance to see the VFX breakdown - thanks so much for taking the time to create and share it. 
  • TimLan635
    TimLan635 Posts: 48 Enthusiast
    I'm bumping this thread just because I think Tyler's VFX breakdown video (4 posts above this one) really needs more views!  It is very impressive work, with many unexpected composited details.  Just overall fantastic work, and super-focused attention to detail.  Well done, and very interesting.

• Triem23
    Arseny should put his VFX breakdown on the Movie Wall, so FxHome can feature it--because they certainly would... Right, KristieT? ;-)
  • KirstieT
    Definitely Triem!
  • TylerDarden
    edited March 2016

Well, it's good to be back!))

• Triem23

Welcome back! Been looking forward to a new film from you! If you need assistance on English subtitles hit me up again.