help with 3d tracking and models and sliding?

diabloogrediabloogre Website User Posts: 33
Ok I am still using the demo version for now I figured once I get it down then I can start doing some neat things here is my question.  I have some  footage of walking around a garage and I used mocha to track it  and then I open up the composit shot in hit film and bring in a 3d model and I am trying to  make the model  stay in one place as the model moves how ever I try it almost  stays but it appears to  slide  or glide across the floor.  Does anyone know what I might be leaving out or doing wrong?

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    It could be that the track in mocha wasn't solid before you got your solve or it could be that the model isn't properly aligned in the scene, so its not lining up with the floor properly.
  • AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,445 Staff
    Ok I am still using the demo version for now I figured once I get it down then I can start doing some neat things here is my question.  I have some  footage of walking around a garage and I used mocha to track it  and then I open up the composit shot in hit film and bring in a 3d model and I am trying to  make the model  stay in one place as the model moves how ever I try it almost  stays but it appears to  slide  or glide across the floor.  Does anyone know what I might be leaving out or doing wrong?

Hi,
    Might be best to watch this Tutorial from Imagineer on how to fix a 3D Model into a scene as well as explaining about the Tracking of mocha HitFilm.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• diabloogrediabloogre Website User Posts: 33
    Ok I went and checked again and really did some more work with the camera track and here is where I found the bug. As long as I don't scale or do anything to the model  it works fine.  When I scale up the model  that is when it appears to slide so not sure what to do to fix this.  Anyways I put together a video with an example   I show  model un scaled   at 100 percent  and the 2nd clip is like  400 percent scale and you can see what I am talking about.
    http://youtu.be/DXhZfpdp4xc
  • BrianJohnsonBrianJohnson Website User Posts: 83
    I was thinking along the lines of what Axel said.  I know from my own experiences I have found that the Points created from a Mocha track are usually very close to the camera. So I have to scale down my models, zoom in and really double check my alignment to make sure the objects are on the same level as my floor plane.  If not the objects "drift" or "slide" around during the shot.

This brings up a question of my own.  Is there a way to change the scale of the Points generated from Mocha so that they are a bit larger/distant from the Camera or something.   Example: If I film a scene standing 20 feet from my Garage and I then track the Garage door and the ground. Then export that track to Hitfilm.  THe tracking points for the ground and the garage are only a few centimeters from the Virtual Camera in Hitfilm. So when I import a 3d object I have to scale it way way down to get it to properly sit on the floor.   Does that make sense?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    When you change the scale of the model, you need to make sure you adjust its position so that the feet line up with the floor again.  When you increase the scale, its probably scaling in all directions, so the head moves upward, and the feet move downward, and you will then need to move the entire model upward until the feet match the floor plane again.
    hmmm I will play with that some more here in a few when the boss isn't looking lol. I am at working using the demo  ha ha.
    In that particular shot, if you track an area of the floor, right where you want the model to stand, then that will give you some reference points for the floor position.  Then you can use the Front View or one of the Side views in HitFilm to line up the feet of the model with the floor level.
    Hey you were right I tried that and it pretty much worked there was a small glitch but for the most part thanks so much. Now I can do some real playing when I get home.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MspS5REX278