Star Gate Puddle light reflection effect

guitar74guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
Thanks to everyone that answers this.  On Star Gate tv show, when the gate is open and they show the actors, the puddle has a light reflection on the room and actors.  Is there a cheap way to reproduce that.  It remind me of a swimming pool at night with under water lights on.  Thanks for the help.

Comments

• ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    I suspect you would have to use actual water to get the effect.  Put your light where the 'gate' is (making sure that that light is the brightest one you're using) and then put an aquarium tank in front of the light filled 9/10 of the way with water and have someone jiggle it slightly.  Or if you have a clear plastic freezer bag, you might try putting water in that and jiggling it in front of the light. But I'm not sure it would be thick enough to give you the amount of refraction that you want.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    This blog post has some interesting tips: http://neiloseman.com/?p=2667
    G
    eneral idea seems to be to use large, wobbly foil elements to reflect the light unpredictably.
  • guitar74guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
    I suspect you would have to use actual water to get the effect.  Put your light where the 'gate' is (making sure that that light is the brightest one you're using) and then put an aquarium tank in front of the light filled 9/10 of the way with water and have someone jiggle it slightly.  Or if you have a clear plastic freezer bag, you might try putting water in that and jiggling it in front of the light. But I'm not sure it would be thick enough to give you the amount of refraction that you want.

Thanks ES Pics that might work, have to try it.  I know years ago I took footage of a swimming pool that had ripples in it and then did some grading and slowed the waves down and layed another video of water waves on it and got a cheap way of doing the Star Gate effect.

This blog post has some interesting tips: http://neiloseman.com/?p=2667
    G
    eneral idea seems to be to use large, wobbly foil elements to reflect the light unpredictably.

Thanks Simon, there is some good pointes in that vid.  I was trying to figure out how that was done in Star Gate SG-1