Video quality question

guitar74guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
Thanks for the people that take time to answer this question.  I know there are a lot of video programs out there, but this is a little problem I ran into.  I got a video, I cant even tell you the quality, but if I blow it up on a 20 inch monitor the edges of objects that should be smooth are now kind of block looking.  I was wondering if there is a program to make the quality better so when I use a bigger monitor it will look like it should.  I'm sure the quality was very low and compressed, it looks like a bad video on youtube if that helps.  Thanks for any info.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I'm a little confused by your post. It sounds like you have a bad quality video to begin with, which you're then trying to watch on a larger screen, is that right? Poor quality or low resolution will of course always be more obvious on a larger screen.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    Magic Bullet makes a product called Instan HD, which is designed for up-res-ing footage and improving the quality.  Its more designed for increasing the resolution of good quality footage without losing the quality though, rather than improving the quality of bad footage.
  • guitar74guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the people that take time to answer this question.  I know there are a lot of video programs out there, but this is a little problem I ran into.  I got a video, I cant even tell you the quality, but if I blow it up on a 20 inch monitor the edges of objects that should be smooth are now kind of block looking.  I was wondering if there is a program to make the quality better so when I use a bigger monitor it will look like it should.  I'm sure the quality was very low and compressed, it looks like a bad video on youtube if that helps.  Thanks for any info.

Yes, Simon the quality is very low.  When I watch the video on a larger screen the objects that should be smooth edges are blocky looking.  It is the Star Trek Borg game bacck from 96, I want to make a interactive DVD for myself since it does not work with windows 7 tow well.  I want to take the bad quality video, run it through a program and make it look nice on a larger screen.  Thanks for you help!

Thanks Axel, I will give that a look and see if it can help.  I did not know if Hitflim 1 or 2 could do that or even Vision lab.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    If it's FMV from the mid-90s, chances are it's tiny res (640x480 or below) and horrifically compressed.
    You can't add data back into a low quality video to improve the quality.
  • RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    If it's FMV from the mid-90s, chances are it's tiny res (640x480 or below) and horrifically compressed.
    You can't add data back into a low quality video to improve the quality.

That is so true, Simon. Last weekend a group came to me with some footage they had shot. They are going to be running the Artemis Simulator (multi-computer starship bridge simulator) at a local convention in a couple of weeks and had shot an introduction video for each scenario. I think they shot it in a kitchen with an older smart phone. It was low res, very grainy, and had a ton of echo. In short, it was unusable.
    I ended up having to re-shoot the whole thing for them. I set up a green screen and my lighting kit along with a lav mic. It was role-playing games at our house that night anyway (d6 Star Wars), so while they rolled dice, I modeled a very simple Starfleet background and composited it with the footage I shot. They left happy with eight 30–90 second introduction videos.
    So yeah, there are tricks to smooth the video a bit and clean up the audio (echo is a beast, though!). But you can't put back what was never there in the first place.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    But they do it all the time on crime shows.  Freeze, and enhance!
  • RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    But they do it all the time on crime shows.  Freeze, and enhance!

Yep. You have to love all those 4k security cameras!