Help for RAIN?

902 Posts: 33
edited April 2013 in Post-production techniques
Hey,
I'm having trouble making rain look not fake.   I have the composite motion blur on 360  { max? } but that doesnt seem to help.     How can I blur this more?

thanks

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    Without knowing how you are going about creating the rain, its difficult to offer suggestions for how to improve it. Are you using the Rain effect, from the Quick 3D folder of HitFilm?  What is the problem with the rain that makes it not look realistic?

thanks for help BenjaminWozniakTV!
    Wheres Tooshka when you need him- lol?

Try to recreate this in hitfilm
    http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/lightning_strike/

Hi,
    thanks for reply.  Yes using that effect.
    Just doesnt look real.  I think if you could blur it more,  it would help a lot.   

Without knowing how you are going about creating the rain, its difficult to offer suggestions for how to improve it. Are you using the Rain effect, from the Quick 3D folder of HitFilm?  What is the problem with the rain that makes it not look realistic?
    edited April 2013
    Right here ;)  (Sorry only just seen this post)
    However i don't think that we need to go to the extremes of porting a video copilot effect this time
    http://youtu.be/4TS6uw54L1o

thanks  Tooshka,  much appreciated.
    Looks much, much better.   I also had to cut the opacity.  
    Trying to change the rain color {  hint of the background }  is a new ball game - I'm not sure possible ,  since it takes on a day glo effect?  { couldnt use dropper,  to cross composites, right?   so I just colored from the box,  but
    the colors turn hyper glo .}
    but I'm still learning the composite - IN a composite technique,  so I might be mucking it up.
    but definately a big improvement over stock settings!
    thanks!

edited April 2013

Note to anyone - is there anyway to change the preview window to FULL SCREEN for a preview?
    { I think this is part of my workflow problem - I cant judge a composite, until its completely rendered and played back
    -- since the preview window is so small .}

thanks

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    There are lots of options for handling that.  First, you can Float the container holding the viewer, so it is in a separate window from the rest of the interface, and make it full screen.  Like with any container, just right-click in the top bar, next to the tabs, to float it.
    Second, you can set the Viewer scale to 100%, which will show only a portion of your frame, but will show it at full size, so you can see detail better. In case you want to keep the viewer in the main interface.  Third, you can drag either the bottom or left edges of the viewer (assuming its still in the default position at the top right corner) to resize it and make it larger, if you just need it to be a bit larger.

Thanks.  I tried this,  but I was hoping for like a one button solution.  could that be on the wish list:  one button
    full screen and back please?
    thanks alot

There are lots of options for handling that.  First, you can Float the container holding the viewer, so it is in a separate window from the rest of the interface, and make it full screen.  Like with any container, just right-click in the top bar, next to the tabs, to float it.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,031 Enthusiast
    +1 to Tooshka. 
  • rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 960 Just Starting Out
    As Win showed, the layouts are a great way to quickly change things up. If you have dual monitors, even if one is a smaller/budget monitor, you can have your viewer full screen on the larger/better monitor, while having your controls on the smaller.  Works great.
    edited May 2013
    Tooshka IS THE MAN!!!
    Excellent Tutorial!!!  Thank you much!
    { of course it's perhaps a wee bit clunk solutions, as you say,   and hopefully the good folks at fxhome are taking note to make a permanent one click solution, following your inspiration.  {?} }  But really a life saver none-the-less.
    And, Is it just me --  or should the time line play by the spacebar?
    Also -- how do you LOOP playback!?
    thanks!
    oh,  ok probably changed it, thanks.    No loop eh?   Hopefully that's on a wish list somewhere?
    Looking forward to the new tutorial version!
    thanks