Lighting Problem

AntonyCox
AntonyCox Website User Posts: 40
I’ve been using the 3D Light feature in HF Express for the first time, initially to lighten a scene which was too dark when it was recorded. For this I’ve used the ‘ambient’ type which has worked a treat, but when I started to play around with the point, directional and spot types, the viewing panel has just turned to black.
However much I adjust the settings, the screen remains black but I don’t understand why.
Can anyone offer any advice please?
Thanks!

Comments

• Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    I think you're mislead about the concept behind the lights here. Lights are meant to light a scene you have set up in 3D inside HitFilm, if you're working with several 3D layers. If you just want to brighten up dark footage you'd be better off using the exposure, brightness or levels histogram effects, which are designed for tasks like that (and also a lot quicker than a 3D light).
  • AntonyCox
    Hi Robin.
    I thought the same thing before I started this, thinking that it wouldn't work on 2D footage, but as soon as I converted the scene to 3D the ambient light worked (and the effect is a lot more natural that adjusting brightness, etc.
    Are you saying that the other light types just won't work at all on footage shot using a video camera?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    The other light types will work, but you need to make sure that the lights are set up so they are in front of the 3D video plane, and that they are pointed at the video.  By default  when they are created, they are likely to be pointing somewhere other than your videos location, and so you won't be able to see them yet.
  • AntonyCox
    Ah, OK - thanks Axel. I'll have a play with the settings and see how I get on. :)
  • Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    As Axel says, the lights will work if set up correctly - but still you can get more control and thus better results from using 2D grading effects. I just tried it, using an ambient light to brighten up footage has basically the same effect like using the levels histogram to bring the highlights up. With the difference that the histogram also offers control over the shadows and the midtones, as well as all those values for the different color channels separately. It might be a little more difficult to understand than how to set up a light, but learning how to use those tools efficiently really pays off in the end!