Hero Story - A Short Film Project

Andrew
Andrew Posts: 379 Enthusiast
edited April 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
482058_464542550284334_962527367_n.jpg

Hey guys, Andrew here again. Though I don't get a lot of traction on these as I used to, I thought I'd still take a moment to make a mention of and announce my/Atomic's latest project, 'Hero Story'.
We're currently in production on the short, which will be somewhere between 8-10 minutes, and follows three intersecting stories of an American public high school English teacher explaining to his class the purpose of a 'hero' in great literature, a troubled high school student, and a 20-something damsel in distress that collide together in a non-linear narrative.
The project is about halfway through production currently, with the majority of the difficult units within a real high school classroom already having been shot- and we're really pleased with the overall look thus far.
48066_469552299783359_149730208_n.jpg

'Hero Story' is our second project to shoot, at least partially, on the Sony FS700- which is a fantastic cinema camera we've had the good fortune to use yet again. (Our first use of it was on our music video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9zDYaVNL70">Headquarters. For the project we'll be shooting in 480 and trying some 960fps cinematography. We hope for an early May release.
So yeah, been going pretty well. I'll try and keep this page updated for anyone interested.

Comments

• DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out
    Sounds good. Any of your usual bunch involved? Is this entirely an Atomic creation, or for one of your clients?
  • Andrew
    edited April 2013
    Most of our same crew are involved. It's an Atomic piece I wrote and am directing, just a passion project short I thought up a few months ago and put into action recently, but it's looking to come out pretty nicely.
    Actors are a bag of new and regularly-used people. The teacher is played by Brian Villalobos, who is a tremendous actor that we've never fully-utilized in anything I think you would've seen other that popping up as Gordon in our Batman parody and in our Drive parody- most of what he's done with us has been client work or school-related a year or so ago. But he's great.
    Then the protagonist high school kid is played by Reese Arrington, who's probably been in more of our stuff than anyone else, and whose older brother was one of the main characters in our Christmas film 'Tis The Season.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    This looks very exciting. With the exception of 'Tis the Season, you all have done very few narrative projects lately, so this is a welcome change in my eyes. I'm excited to see what comes of all this. I will definitely be following this and reviewing it asap after its release. Good luck!
  • Andrew
    We've done a fair amount of stuff, Matthias- but much of it we either can't show online just yet, or is in development for clients.
    Though we did manage to push out 3-4 short dramatic pieces, a big parody, and a 30-minute movie last year, so I don't think it was all too bad. ;)
    As for production- we're a little over 50% complete with it, and footage assembly of some of the stuff has gone to scoring stages to help Chase, our composer, figure out a theme and tone to carry throughout the short. Unfortunately the remainder of the shoot, which we had planned and scheduled to shoot this week, will not be possible due to our AC and owner of the FS700 we're shooting on having an unexpected shoot/work conflict through much of the rest of the month.
    This pushes the remainder of our photography, which is mostly just slow-mo FS700 footage left, to be shot the first week of May, and our release off by a week or so- but generally I've been extremely happy with everyone and everything in it thus far, so I can deal with it.
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    This sounds pretty cool.  Definitely looking forward to checking it out.
  • Andrew
    I should probably mention, as I realized I hadn't above- that there is a masked-man/superhero element to this short, albeit in a grounded, vague, 'Unbreakable'-esque way.
  • Andrew
    edited May 2013
    Hey all!
    As we're jumping back into production and wrapping everything up next week, I thought I'd go ahead and post a link to a scene from the short for the Hitfilm community here to view, should anyone be interested. It's unlisted, so I'd rather not have it spread around- but I wanted to give everyone a sense of tone and visual style for the piece.

*Link Removed Until Premiere*

Check it out when you have the opportunity.

• Virchow
    Virchow Posts: 13
    Home run.

From the theme, to the casting, to matching pace of dialogue/score/scene selection, to the lighting, to the sound and acting quality.

Looking forward to the rest of this one.
  • DanielGWood
    Looking good. I'd like to echo Virchow's comments on the pace, also thought the lighting and music suited the dramatic tone very well.
  • myme
    myme Posts: 34
    this looks really good ;)
  • Andrew
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Not sure how I missed this up until now. Looks and sounds great, guys. Always exciting to see you working on an original prospect.
    The sample scene looks lovely, sound is good, and the performances are excellent. Teacher is very convincing. Only thing I'd say is that the edits seem a little swift - it's quite a contemplative scene, and I feel like you could almost halve the number of cuts, linger a little longer on each shot. Specifically the back and forth around 14s and 31s. Not a biggie, just something that jumped out at me. Nitpicky, obviously. :)
    Keep us posted!
  • Andrew
    Thanks, Simon.
    The clip is actually a compilation as part of a larger scene that is cut into much smaller, intersecting segments of voiceover and clips (probably 4-5 sections of 15 seconds of footage, intercut with other footage). The assembly was put together to give our composer something to go off of and build around, tonally.
  • Andrew
    edited June 2013
    For anyone interested, we wrapped principal photography on Hero Story this evening, finishing up the rest of the nighttime shoots. Really pleased with how it's all turning out. It was a challenge to pump enough light into scenes, close enough, to get the exposure we needed for shooting much of the slow-mo stuff. And, as a result, some bits are a tad darker than I would've liked- but overall I think it's all really selling how we want it to. We'll be excited to premiere it in a few weeks.
    Here's a snippet of how some of the more fantastical/super-hero-y parts of the short are looking.

• That clip is really cool! I love the sound. Pumped to watch the entire video :)
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Looking pretty good. Can't wait to see the rest. Love the slo-mo.
  • DanielGWood
    Interesting style, I'm intrigued to see the full film.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff
    I'm really excited to see the full film of this - it is a tad dark but I agree that this adds to the overall feel of the scene. The effect after the punch wasn't something I was expecting and it's really got me intrigued to know how this scene slots into the whole project. 
    Keep us informed about this one :)