Movi Stabiliser

StrikeEmStudios
StrikeEmStudios Posts: 224
edited April 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
We've all seen how gyrocopters have come along lately, and how you can get stunning long takes with Stedicams (with lots of practice), but now theres a revolutionary new stabiliser called the Movi M10 which is a "3-axis digital stabilized camera gimbal" - in plain english, that means super slick stable shots with more freedom than ever before, no years of steadicam practice needed (although it won't hurt to learn that). 
https://vimeo.com/62917185
How much? From about $7,500 to $15K for more heavy duty cinema camera versions. Their saying it's a Gamechanger, and they might just be right. I want one right now.
Oh... and it can be put on a gyrocopter/RC choppers 
https://vimeo.com/63260643#
Just stunning.

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    I suspect it was the other way around - they developed this for copters/drone use, and then realised it would work as a hand-held rig as well.
    I'm hugely excited about this, even though it's way outside my price bracket. I'm hoping they'll be affordably rentable.
    My preferred shooting style is super fast, running and gunning. That's just how I like to work. I like to get a TON of coverage and assemble in the edit. It lets me get through ambitious scripts on very tight schedules.
    However, the side effect of that approach is that the end result can look very rough, from a technical POV. Works for some things but not everything.
    The alternative is to use dollies, jibs, copters and steadicams. Which undoubtedly produce superb results, but I actually loathe using that kind of equipment. I know a lot of filmmakers get all over-excited at the prospect of having a load of hardware on-set, but it actually fills me with dread, generally. It's big, bulky and super slow. If you want to use it properly you need either lots of experience or you need to hire a trained operator. On a bigger production that's all fine, as you have the money and time. On a small indie thing, that hardware just weighs me down.
    THIS thing, though. Wow. This basically provides the technical accuracy of using Big Hardware, but retains the total run & gun, freeform shooting style that I've always loved.
    The behind-the-scenes clips of him passing the camera through tricky space, going down stairs, let alone the awesome concept of the rollerskates shot for tracking the taxi.........simply awesome.
    Really, really hope I can figure out a way to use this on a project one day.

• My preferred shooting style is super fast, running and gunning. That's just how I like to work. I like to get a TON of coverage and assemble in the edit. It lets me get through ambitious scripts on very tight schedules.

I second that, but if something should be done a particular way then it needs the fancy equipement, I was on a shoot this morning for a friend who was adamant that he needed a stedicam shot just because I had one in the car, in the end he settled for a nice slider shot which was far more suitable and quicker to set up.
    I like to work quick, as a lot of the time you're working against the weather around here, or against time limits with some locations. Know what you need and what the scene should look like before the shoot and even get someone to set the gear up (if you aren't using it) so you can keep the shoot moving. 
    I read that it is entirely possible to use the Movi for the entirety/ majority of a shoot - although i haven't seen anything on focus pulling while operating the system yet - I suspect this could be achieved with the duel operator set up though. 

• Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    I read that it is entirely possible to use the Movi for the entirety/ majority of a shoot - although i haven't seen anything on focus pulling while operating the system yet - I suspect this could be achieved with the duel operator set up though. 

I imagine one could one of many wireless focus/zoom remotes for something like this.  I don't see why it would be any more difficult than pulling focus with a Steadicam.
    This thing looks incredible, and I kind of can't believe it took people this long to come up with a solution like this.  Pretty innovative stuff, and I can definitely see it revolutionizing how people stabilize footage.  Expect this to be used to excess in the near future. ;)
  • teisco
    teisco Posts: 73
    I am all for anything that would end this hand held, jerky, jumping camera craze that has swept the film industry. With a nice smooth option I might not have to take Dramamine just to watch a movie anymore. 

• SimonKJones
    I'm also quite surprised that it's taken this long for this to exist. I wouldn't be surprised to see a simplified, cheaper, non-pro version appear on Kickstarter pretty soon.
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    If that happens, I would be on it so fast, even though I rarely shoot anything anymore.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I pretty much agree with everything said on this so far. The idea of this is awesome, the price is out of my price range. I think this is a long overdue inovation, one that a lot of people are ready for. If it is "affordably rentable" it will give indie filmmakers yet another device that helps them make their shots look pro for "cheap" or relatively cheap anyway. Definitely looking forward to where this takes the film industry and the indie film industry. I fear it will get overused very quickly....
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    edited April 2013
    On the plus side, it can't get overused as much as shaky handheld footage has, since smoothly moving cameras are pretty much always acceptable and appropriate.  Looking forward to seeing more about it, and to more affordable knock-offs being released.
  • Darren
    Darren Posts: 164
    Yeah this thing is pretty much awesome and it's great to see that its small enough for being on a car, full size helicopter... imagine boats and the like.
    Be very interested in the rental prices.
  • SimonKJones
    Aaaargh, so exciting. I desperately want to have a play with one of these.
    To be honest, I haven't been this excited about a filmmaking thing for years. The existence of DSLRs was probably the last time, as that was a real game changer in terms of no/micro-budget productions.
    We've got an FS700 here at work and, sure, it's a superb camera. Shooting Extraction Protocol we had a lot of nice dolly and jib gear. On Arms Race Escalation we had a helicopter with operator, which was awesome. All good stuff.
    But the Movi surpasses all of them, for me, because it specifically enables and enhances my preferred way of shooting. Essentially, it allows me to directly translate what is in my head onto video. That's never been possible before, without spending a lot of money and a huge amount of extra time on rigs.
    Need to work out how I can rent this thing. I wonder just how cheap the cheaper one will go, and what its limitations will be? 
  • Darren
    Darren Posts: 164
    You can take a chance at the contest - they are giving 2 of those stabilizers away...
    http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/page/2/