ILM thread. Everything related to ILM

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
I saw a documentry on youtube based on ILM and their history and I had to share.  ILM is so monolithic that to watch this documentry on their history and by extension every movie i've ever loved growing up and all the movies that I enjoy now.  Hopefully if you take the time to watch this it will inspire you.  It has Lucas and Spielberg, talking about their work and gives just enough of a vfx break down during some of these scenes that you can see everything you would need to to recreate it.  Part 5 goes into Iron Man and how they used ILM's learned experience from Transformers to get make something new.  JJ Abrams is in part 5 where he talks about the challenges of star trek and how star wars set the tone for what could be done and how people forget that Star Trek came before Star Wars but how theres no environment that could be original, or skin tone or anything due to George Lucas doing everything
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTcE60KKRv4
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5x-bkTcZQ
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36BelSzlADU
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9nWpDA1XM0
Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqEE8MTlG58

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Awesome find - I look forward to checking this out when I have the time!
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out
    Looks good, I'll have to watch too  :D
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out

Seems very interesting, definitely going to have to check it out.

ILM is so monolithic that to watch this documentry on their history and by extension every movie i've ever loved growing up and all the movies that I enjoy now.

Say what now?

• TheRealJayWalker
    TheRealJayWalker Posts: 219 Enthusiast
    Sad to see that LucasArts has been shut down.  There's been some quality games over the years.  Disney are definitely asset stripping that place out at the moment what with the recent lay offs of their animation section after cancelling Clone Wars.
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out
    Agreed (though I did discover my favourite series was developed by Pandemic rather than in-house). The 1313 game looked cool though.
  • SimonKJones
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the tech from 1313 show up elsewhere, or even for the 1313 project to show up at another dev. There was a lot of good press and anticipation around it, despite it looking like a fairly generic GoW shooter.
    Maybe they're going to hold it and rework it to fit in with the new movies?
  • TheRealJayWalker
    1313 did look good and from seeing early developer diaries the Lucasarts team were excited about working in partnership with ILM to push the boundaries.
    In the end of season 5 of Clone Wars they went to level 1312 which looked very similar and had a great, grimy underworld feel to it which would have taken the game away from the normal Star Wars universe
    Sadly as it was seemed more of an adult title you could see that Disney wouldn't like it as it doesn't fit into their 'family friendly' catalogue. 
    I fear for the new films.  Jar-Jar on ice will be an xmas special by 2016. 
  • SimonKJones
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure that JJ Abrams will do a good job of distilling what made the originals good. Whether Disney lets him just get on with it remains to be seen. They did give Kaminsky a surprising amount of freedom with TRON Legacy, after all (to mixed results, but still...). Similarly, they seem to be letting Marvel just get on with it.
    The difference is that Star Wars as a brand, despite being massively successful, has been mismanaged for about 20 years. So while it's continued to be MASSIVE, it's also progressively eroded its core fanbase. They're going to have to do a lot of work to get things back on track.
  • TheRealJayWalker
    I'm pretty sure that JJ Abrams will do a good job of distilling what made the originals good. Whether Disney lets him just get on with it remains to be seen. They did give Kaminsky a surprising amount of freedom with TRON Legacy, after all (to mixed results, but still...). Similarly, they seem to be letting Marvel just get on with it.
    The difference is that Star Wars as a brand, despite being massively successful, has been mismanaged for about 20 years. So while it's continued to be MASSIVE, it's also progressively eroded its core fanbase. They're going to have to do a lot of work to get things back on track.

I definitely agree with the mismanagement.  Here's hoping for an improvement.   

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    To be fair Tron is a cult classic that appeals more to the core fans of the sci fi genre then Star Wars.  So I think he got a certain amount of freedom because who it was appealing too.  Star Wars is going to have everyone in Disney wanting to stick their nose in to it because star wars had a much bigger appeal and fan base.
  • TheRealJayWalker
    You're right, the focus on the next film will be huge so luckily there's a fairly strong director at the helm.