MOCHA

No certain this is the right spot but would like to get some feedback with my mocha experience in HitFilm
I am sure this is an ongoing integration process and I am far from being an expert in Motion Capture tools but so far this has been my most uncomfortable experience with HitFilm. I think it urgently needs an expert workthrough tutorial(s) covering all the way back(or forwards) to Vegas.
The workflow is filled with speed bumps! Even though the marketing announces that Vegas integration is "seamless" there are numerous zips, collars and cuffs in these seams - right click in Vegas and you dont actually end up connected to HitFilm, let alone Mocha.
Where are the Targas? - Everything we do is Targa - yes it's old but so am I and there is nothing wrong with a good old idea. This can land you in a workflow tangle when you do your thing in one tool and get a "Media missing" message everywhere else. A tutorial would remove that mistake at the start, before you end up frustrated.
I'm tired of the red telephone box. It's a great tutorial for someone who already knows but it leaves you staring at full screen blurred and paused shots of the interface as you try to grab an understanding of what the hot shot just did to make that happen and why you need to do it too. Then your brain blurs as you realise there is a big gap in the explanation and you go to bed.
We need a baby step tutorial on the integrated Mocha - get out of bed  - sit down - start the PC - run HF..and so on
Paul

Comments

• i agree. i have yet to master sitting down.  A second tutorial would definitely be helpful.  especially about using the tracking data to modify other layers.
    Thanks
    Mike
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    You don't use Mocha tracking data to modify other layers.  Its 3D tracking, so it only affects the camera.  Mocha animates the HitFilm camera so that it moves exactly as the real camera did when the footage was filmed.  Then any effects or objects you add to the scene automatically fit into place, as the camera moves around them.
  • Hi Axel I understand the principle objective with mocha is to create a match camera move.
    When you start out to learn it you think " this is going to be difficult" when in fact its incredibly easy!
    Draw a spline surface and press track...Once done you think "Ok how do I erase that tracking data and try again"? mmmm gray area....
    When you get it into hitfillm as a composite, the camera sometimes seems to be upside down?
    You also remember something about what the nodes are for...
    All this gathered from various google searches in different tutorials resulting in a broken learning curve
    So thats why I think a dumb beginner workflow tut would really help remove the terror of being completely stupid!
  • Hey I think I actually managed to create a mocha camera match! Using a shot that has minimal movement and areas that are really good for the planar mapping. So now its just a process of getting skilled at this.
    One thing that is gigantically confusing is that it seems the Mocha camera bears no relationship to the Hitfilm scene, so adding a model or other things into the match composite produces a brain stretching challenge to work out where they are in 3d space. Noticed also that the video source comes back from mocha as a 2d plane, so its not visible in the perspective or ortho views ... and that probably means there are now a layer priority issues Coming from 3ds max, all this is hard to grasp. Any tips on how to understand these relationships?
    Thanks for any help
    Best Paul
  • AxelWilkinson
    Have you taken a look at any of the tutorials that Imagineer has on their site?  There are dozens of videos on mocha over there, and while they mostly aren't about mocha HitFilm specifically, the tracking process is pretty much the same in every mocha product, so the info is still very much useful.  That being said, we do still plan on creating more mocha tutorials in the future, its just a matter of fitting them into our busy schedules.
    Also, I should clarify my earlier comment here, because you can in fact use mocha data with other layers; each plane you track in mocha will receive 5 points; one at each corner, and one in the center.  These oints come into Hitfilm, and you can parent any object you any one of the points, to help with positioning objects in the scene.  
    In mocha, all of the planes you create are listed in the Layers menu on the left hand side.  You can select any plane and hit delete to delete it.  As y ou create new planes, its a good idea to name them there as you do, so you can easily keep track of what's what.
  • Thanks Axel - did look through some of those but was concerned that I may be learning stuff that wasnt in the Hitfilm version. Now that I have created a working match (yeah)! and sorted my understanding of source formats to some extent - I feel a lot braver. Yes I picked up the point thing on the phone booth tut.
    Still like to better understand the 3d space issue relating to mocha.
    Being Windows 7 based, I had always tended to avoid Quicktime, but this seems to be the most compatible source format so far. As I am doing mostly short 3dsMax animations, have tended to work with Targa, but this is not ideal if you want to chuck something vibrant on a shot in a fifteen minute corporate.
    Thanks for your tutorials and skills and patience!
    Best
    Paul
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    For tips on aligning the camera to the workspace, check out this tutorial from Imagineer: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/quick-shots-align-camera-for-mocha-hitfilm-users/view
  • JCL_Films
    JCL_Films Posts: 158 Enthusiast
    Mocha tells me that I have a 94% solve (which I am told is very good). However, when I bring in a 3d object it is doing some floating. Am I missing something or was the track not good enough in Mocha? :huh:
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • AxelWilkinson
    Most likely the object just needs to be aligned so that it is properly seated in the scene.  Even if the camera move is solved well, if the object is positioned above the ground in your scene, or positioned so that it is partly below the ground plane, then it won't sit properly.  Make sure you set up a ground plane as shown in the tutorial Simon linked to above, then position your 3D object so that it is properly aligned with the floor plane.