Car fire smoke plume

jond76
jond76 Posts: 53 Enthusiast
So, I've been trying to achieve a smoke plume one would associate with a car fire. I've tried, but the smoke always moves too fast. One of my results looked like an underwater oil leak! Ridiculous!
So, I was wondering if anyone had a grasp on how to achieve this effect. The guys here had a great looking smoke plume as a preview for Hitfilm U2, but as far as I can see, there was never a tutorial on how it was done. Any guidance would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    edited March 2013
    Are you using the Speed control in the Controls Panel, or the Lifetime panel Speed control?  Or both? Have you adjusted the Time Scale control in the General controls for the layer, to slow the smoke down?  You can set the layer to not move at all by setting the time scale to 0, so I'm guessing that if things are going to fast, you still haven't turned it down far enough.
    I'd start with the Oil Fire preset; is that what you are doing, or are you building fron scratch?  or perhaps using another preset as your starting point?
  • jond76
    I tried starting from scratch, then moved onto bonfire, but that doesn't seem to have the same controls.  I'll look at oil fire and check out your suggestions and update. Thanks.
  • jond76
    Are you using the Speed control in the Controls Panel, or the Lifetime panel Speed control?  Or both? Have you adjusted the Time Scale control in the General controls for the layer, to slow the smoke down?  You can set the layer to not move at all by setting the time scale to 0, so I'm guessing that if things are going to fast, you still haven't turned it down far enough.
    I'd start with the Oil Fire preset; is that what you are doing, or are you building fron scratch?  or perhaps using another preset as your starting point?

Time scale nailed it. Thanks again.