Vampire Dusting Particle Effect with fiery ash/glowing embers and casting light/shadows help needed.

StarCoreFilms
StarCoreFilms Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Post-production techniques
Hi everyone. I just downloaded the HitFilm 2 Ultimate trial and have been trying to do a vampire dusting effect similar to Blade. One problem I'm having with the particle simulator is some of the effects on the particle sliders seem to do absolutely nothing, such as making the particles emit light, the reflectivity, etc. I have tried adjusting the sliders to change these properties for the particles and they always look the same regardless of those settings. I can change the color of the particles just fine. I made them a reddish orange, but I'm wanting them to glow and emit a bit of ambient light like burning embers. I am wanting them to glow reddish orange and then turn black in a gradient burn to black then vanish. Am I missing something?
Also, how do I get particles to emit light on to real objects (ie; walls, floors) or cash shadows onto real objects? I figured a plane is used for this? I can't figure the plane thing out. When I make one it's a 2D frame that I can't seem to angle in any 3D kind of way, such as place it at an angle for the floor or a wall. I'm still trying to get the hang of this, but a few things are stopping me in my tracks. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Comments

• OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 478
    Hi everyone. I just downloaded the HitFilm 2 Ultimate trial and have been trying to do a vampire dusting effect similar to Blade. One problem I'm having with the particle simulator is some of the effects on the particle sliders seem to do absolutely nothing, such as making the particles emit light, the reflectivity, etc. I have tried adjusting the sliders to change these properties for the particles and they always look the same regardless of those settings. I can change the color of the particles just fine. I made them a reddish orange, but I'm wanting them to glow and emit a bit of ambient light like burning embers. I am wanting them to glow reddish orange and then turn black in a gradient burn to black then vanish. Am I missing something?
    Also, how do I get particles to emit light on to real objects (ie; walls, floors) or cash shadows onto real objects? I figured a plane is used for this? I can't figure the plane thing out. When I make one it's a 2D frame that I can't seem to angle in any 3D kind of way, such as place it at an angle for the floor or a wall. I'm still trying to get the hang of this, but a few things are stopping me in my tracks. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

A couple things can be done,
    Checkout the lifetime panel when you have your particle system selected.  From here you will be able to better control some of the particle functions over the course of each particles life span.  (How they fade out and vanish)
    For adding glows and other artistic effects, make a composite shot of your particle system and then apply the various effects you like:  glow, etc
    As for the plane - there's a blue box to the right of the plane layer - select that and choose 3D plane option.
    Hope that helps!

• StarCoreFilms
    StarCoreFilms Posts: 3
    edited March 2013

• A couple things can be done,
    Checkout the lifetime panel when you have your particle system selected.  From here you will be able to better control some of the particle functions over the course of each particles life span.  (How they fade out and vanish)
    For adding glows and other artistic effects, make a composite shot of your particle system and then apply the various effects you like:  glow, etc
    As for the plane - there's a blue box to the right of the plane layer - select that and choose 3D plane option.
    Hope that helps!

Thanks you very much! I appreciate it. I'll give that a try. BTW, could I add a 3D model of a person from say Poser or another 3D program and have the 3D model break apart or explode into particles instead of adding particles to a 2D layer that's dissolves?

• OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 478

Thanks you very much! I appreciate it. I'll give that a try. BTW, could I add a 3D model of a person from say Poser or another 3D program and have the 3D model break apart or explode into particles instead of adding particles to a 2D layer that's dissolves?

Unfortunately, you won't be able to add the 3D model exploding (as a 3D asset) into HitFilm unless each particle is a separate object and you want to manually animate each object moving on it's own but that would be a ton of objects for dust.....
    You could animate the 3D model in a 3D program exploding and then import that media file.
    However, I think the way you're looking at it from the start will work the best.  Good luck! 

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    You can apply Atomic Particles to the model, to have it disintegrate that way.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2013
    I used Atomic Particles to "blow up" this 3d model. Just apply the effect to the model itself then adjust the number of particles and their size to make the model look whole. You also want to turn off the random particle size and random opacity. Then animate the disperse control to blow it up. You can use the other controls to customize how you want it to blow up. I used two glow effects to make the particles look like sparks or embers. I animated the glow so that it only turned on when the model starts to blow up. Oh yeah, turn on motion blur and depth of field in atomic particles too. 
    https://vimeo.com/58520267
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    You can apply Atomic Particles to the model, to have it disintegrate that way.

Is there a tut on that?
  • AxelWilkinson
    Not specifically, but there are several tutes on Atomic Particles.  Applying the effect to a 3D model is as simple as dragging it into the 3D model layer.  Then dial in the appearance you want.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    Some of this stuff is so easy it's over my head. :huh: 
  • AxelWilkinson
    edited March 2013
    My point was just that the technique isn't at all different for 3D models than for any other layer.  Add the Atomic Particles to the layer, and then adjust the controls for the appearance you want.  The adjustments work the same no matter what layer the effect is applied to, so the basic Atomic Particles tutorials apply 100%.
    http://youtu.be/u0UQWkqKE0w