3D camera Effects

guitar74
guitar74 Posts: 506
edited March 2013 in General
So, I found this Toshiba 3D camcorder for under 200 dollars and it shots better video than the canon Dslr that I have.  I was wondering if I was going to add effects in there, how would I do that.  I dont think HF2 can do any effects for  3D camera footage.  Anyone got any ideas? I know there are a lot of type of 3D now days and I'm just playing with the 3D camera to see what the limits are for using a 3D camera for short movies and etc.
  I also look for  a way to take that old blue and Red Glasses for 3D and restore the colors.  I found out that if you take a picture or vid and sharpen the colors, when it is converted over to 3D that it keeps a lot of the colors.  It works with my set up, I'm just playing around with the 3d stuff.

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,259 Staff
    A $200 Toshiba camcorder does not shoot better video than your Canon DSLR.  Its not even possible.  The sensor in that Toshiba is massively smaller than the one in your Canon, meaning that the video has to be inferior in every respect.  Less light sensitivity, less detail, less color data, less dynamic range, less bokeh.  It might be that you know how to use the Toshiba better, but the video quality is inferior, that's just a fact.  If your Canon footage isn't coming out as good, its because you are using the DSLR incorrectly.  Or, it could be that the fact that it is 3D outweights all the disadvantages of the Toshiba footage for you personally.  Just wanted to clear that up right away.
    Anyway, on to the topic.  Hitfilm isn't set up for 3D, but if you set up your composite fully in 3D, converting all your video to 3D planes, and positioning your effects appropriately, then you could set up two cameras in Hitfilm, aligned for the proper convergence, and then export the scene from each camera to create the angles for each eye.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Camileo-Z100-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B008481JSC
    Found the camcorder.
    Well now I am curious what kinda Canon you shoot with, because even a Canon T2 would murder this camera in terms of quality. 
    3d in hitfilm would be a interesting non priority extra feature to add. Then again until I can get a good glasses free 3d tv that works in more then 9 sweet spots and costs the same as a normal tv I will be limited to 3d on my 3ds.
  • guitar74
    Michael J, I honestly dont think they can make a tv like you said for 3D.  When the camera came out it was not under $200.00 it cost a lot more than that, but the camera was discontinued and the price droped.  You dont need glasses to view the video on the camcorder, it is like the 3DS, I'm suprised you have a 3DS MJ, as much you told me 3D is no big deal to you..
    Axel, the test was turn the 3D feature on and off during the test.  Tried both cameras no effect lighting at the highest setting in 2D, seem to me and other people that the toshiba did a little better in the video part. I did the video from these cameras in a room with not a lot of lighting, but again it was just a test.  Now, My Cannon Rebel T3i will murder the Toshiba on still shots.  I would not say I'm a expert on the Dslr, but I know how to use it.  It was one test inside a dim lighted room.  I'm jsut playing with the 3D stuff to see how far I can go with it at home and see if effects can be put into the footage. 
      The Camera video from the Toshiba in 3D when I looked at what I shot on the computer, the video alrady had to clips side by side in one video file, so both eyes are on the same video file.  I was wondering how to rig that up in HF2 or HF if it was even possible?  I forget off hand what the this kind of 3D is called, I think it is called autostereoscopic.  Got any ideas about how the footage comes out let me know.  The only thing I could think of dot he effects for both eyes, since the video file comes out with both eyes on a file, then make planes for each eye and insert them in , it would be a pain also. 
    Thanks
    I would like to clear up one thing about the post, I said I watch tehStargate SG1 and the show had a red overlay and brought the colors out, that was wrong, I notice when playing around with the old time Red/Blue glasses 3D that if you take the Source file if it is video or a picture and brighten and sharpen the picture when it is converted over it keeps a lot of the original color.  Using Roxio Creator 11.
  • MichaelJames
    edited March 2013
    @Guitar... You substitute that fact for opinion.  No one thought they could do glasses free TV in the first place.  Tech matures and gets cheaper.  How can't they make that happen?  Prices will drop, the technology will get better.  I think Toshiba was the company showing off a TV that worked with 9 or 11 specific spots you can sit and enjoy 3d.  That is up from the previous year when it was just 2 spots.
    http://asia.cnet.com/active-vs-passive-vs-glasses-free-3d-tvs-62219631.htm
    Also the T3i with even halfway decent glass with murder some tiny little cheap 3d camera.  The glass makes all the differences and you can look on youtube for comparisons of bad cameras with great lenses and good cameras with bad lenses.  The T3i is a cropped sensor camera and so the low light performance won't be as strong as a full frame camera.  The sensor on your 3d camera is about the same size as a cell phone.  Image quality if directly related to sensor size.
    You do not have to be an expert on DSLRs but you should be an expert on your camera.  One of the things teachers do is encourage people to learn their camera by sitting down with the manual.  One of the things anyone with the internet will do is recommend that you go to youtube and find out..
    Here is a quick youtube video with test footage of the T3i.  Its easy to point out a million little things that the DS:R does better then a consumer level camcorder.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1sdYizvEUs
    Do you know how to adjust aperture size?
  • guitar74
    Michael James.....
      The Glasse-free screens on 3D tv's.  How can I that can't be done, because I have not seen a 50 inch 3dtv Name brand that is glass-free that you can sit at 9 spots yet in a store with out it costing a arm and a leg.  Once you lay down the 3D dont work no more.  Try it with your 3DS, just dont work.  I know Nintendo work on the 3dS for a bit to get it going.  These 3D tv's have been out for some time now and there are all these crazy options out there.  The best TV I have seen for 3D was actually a Vizio (think I spelled that company's name right).  The glasses are very light weight, but to have a 3D tv, where you have to have no glasses on, can sit anywhere in the room would be a big break through, but I read the article the glass free tv says it can have 9 people watching it, but I did not see they can sit at any angle.
    Do you have a cannon camera, the manual sucks!  I watched a lot of you tube videos and etc before and after I got the camera  a year ago.  Almost a year ago.  I know the aperture size and etc, the iso is set right.  I did not a few things.  The video above, the lens on that persons camera is a lot different than the lens I got.  I got a basic lens with 2 functions on it, auto focus and stablize.  That is it.  The covering on the lens also I dont have.  With the manual that I got, they talk about all these great things you can do with it, then you need this lens and on and on.  I did not say this Rebel was bad, just the test I did and Yes, People gave their opinion on it.  The video size was the same, that was the results.
    Now you just pulling these senors out of the sky, I believe the sensor in the 3D camera is better than any cell phone camcorder.  I have not seen every company, I say that with seeing 5 different brands and many models over the years.  Anyway, I was posting some results I had so people could read them.  The whole idea of this thread was to let anyone know that the 3D camera I got was a nice beginers camera to see if they like it. 
    Also, you can't shoot a 3d Camera like any other camera or it dont work, there is a whole different way to whot with a 3D camera.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Guitar74, I have read a number of your posts lately, and found them difficult to read due mostly to either misspellings or wrong choice in words. Although I did get what you intended, it was difficult to read. May I suggest spending a little more time on each post to make things easier to read/understand?
  • MichaelJames
    @guitar JUST because you do 0 research and do not stay up on technology doesn't mean its not out there.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/01/toshibas-glasses-free-3d-tv-launches-in-europe-as-the-zl2-in-de/

The Lens hood they put on the camera is a non issue.  It limits the light coming into to the sensor.    What kind of lenses do you have?  I have a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens, not the 1.4 or the 1.2  Its decent at that price point.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44FqqE6ukjY
    If you have a bunch of bad zoom lenses which where bundled to move a canon well I would still bet that zoomed out they give a better result then that lil camcorder.  Nice thing with interchangeable lenses is you can stick an amazing lens on your camera and get awesome results.
    1080p is the same size on any device because 1080p IS the size of the footage.
  • guitar74
    edited March 2013
    Yeah I know it is the pixles.  I stay up on the tech I care about.  cell phones dont really interest me, except at one point people wanted them smaller and know they want a 7 inch tablet as a phone.....  I do more research on things I care about. 
      The Hood does limit the light, but you know sometimes that can make a good shot also.  The Lens that I got with my Canon is a EFS 18-55mm Image stablizer and alsoMacro 0.25m/0.8ft    I know the zoom for far off is not good.  I know this is a standard lens.  I dont make movies, I got a lot of great ideas. I just learn  effects.  My picture I posted on here of me is from a Sony Cybershot 5mp still did a good job.  That had a tiny little sensor in it.  I know I can auto-zoom the camera when shooting video when a certain function is set.  But still is not that good.  I'm not dogging the camera, I like it, but the lens to me is not good at all.  It was bundled with the camera, it is the cheapest lens they give away with the camera.  But also Michael James, I really dont give a crap what you think.
  • guitar74
    Guitar74, I have read a number of your posts lately, and found them difficult to read due mostly to either misspellings or wrong choice in words. Although I did get what you intended, it was difficult to read. May I suggest spending a little more time on each post to make things easier to read/understand?

It is the fact that I spent a few mintues typing that out.  I just got a lot of things to do, but I will try.  Some of the mistakes you are talking about, is a very touchy keyboard and it happens a lot I will lay a finger down on a key and it will press it or when I press it I dont life my finger back up all the way.  I see I put 3 N's in cannon instead of 2.  I also got like 20 things running in my head at once also, always trying to fix problems in my head or ideas, cant shut it off. 

• guitar74
    A $200 Toshiba camcorder does not shoot better video than your Canon DSLR.  Its not even possible.  The sensor in that Toshiba is massively smaller than the one in your Canon, meaning that the video has to be inferior in every respect.  Less light sensitivity, less detail, less color data, less dynamic range, less bokeh.  It might be that you know how to use the Toshiba better, but the video quality is inferior, that's just a fact.  If your Canon footage isn't coming out as good, its because you are using the DSLR incorrectly.  Or, it could be that the fact that it is 3D outweights all the disadvantages of the Toshiba footage for you personally.  Just wanted to clear that up right away.
    Anyway, on to the topic.  Hitfilm isn't set up for 3D, but if you set up your composite fully in 3D, converting all your video to 3D planes, and positioning your effects appropriately, then you could set up two cameras in Hitfilm, aligned for the proper convergence, and then export the scene from each camera to create the angles for each eye.

The camera cost a lot more when it came out, it is a older model now.
  • guitar74
    @guitar JUST because you do 0 research and do not stay up on technology doesn't mean its not out there.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/01/toshibas-glasses-free-3d-tv-launches-in-europe-as-the-zl2-in-de/

The Lens hood they put on the camera is a non issue.  It limits the light coming into to the sensor.    What kind of lenses do you have?  I have a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens, not the 1.4 or the 1.2  Its decent at that price point.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44FqqE6ukjY
    If you have a bunch of bad zoom lenses which where bundled to move a canon well I would still bet that zoomed out they give a better result then that lil camcorder.  Nice thing with interchangeable lenses is you can stick an amazing lens on your camera and get awesome results.
    1080p is the same size on any device because 1080p IS the size of the footage.

I do research on what I need to.  You dont know me, so you should not say I do 0 research on things.  You are the one that pulls this crap you say out of the air.