What is your work flow?

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
So I started working on a project with friends and we started talking about workflows and this brought up the question... What is your workflow?
I know there are different workflows depending on the project.  So if you were going to work on a project that was going to be color graded and have vfx what would your workflow be? 
Here is what I do. 
1)import footage from a DSLR, ( I use a beachtek to record better audio in camera
2)I bring it over to Sony Vegas pro and Convert it to AVID
3)I edit out a rough version using Sony Vegas pro
4)Add vfx
5)Tighten the edit
6)Export it
7)Take it over to Resolve for color correction and grading
8)Export it and take it back over to Sony vegas.  Add credits and export it in a finished format.

Comments

• ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    1. Convert raw camera footage to either still images (.png) or DNxHD.
    2. 3D modeling in Hexagon, Blender, and Sculptris.
    3. 3D animation and rigging in Daz Pro 4.5.
    4. Fluid / fire / smoke / fracturing simulations in Blender. Terrain & environment creation in Vue.
    5. Render all 3D elements, except those from Vue, in Luxrender.
    6. Do compositing and VFX in HitFilm.
    7. Edit audio in SoundForge.
    8. Bring everything together in Vegas and export to whatever the final format will be.
  • MichaelJames
    @ES have any experience with raw files from a BMCC?  THey put a file in .dng and it appears as frames but I don't know how to get access to it as a video clip
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2013
    1) Capture footage (MiniDv) to Sony Vegas
    2) Sort/Rough cut the project
    3) Export VFX related clips as AVI
    4) Import and edit AVI files in HItfilm Standard, then export back out as uncompressed AVI
    5) Import VFX into rough edit in Vegas
    6) Final cut/color correction in Vegas
    7) Export as WMV
    (Most of my projects require no VFX so I do pretty much everything in Vegas)
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    edited January 2016
    @ES have any experience with raw files from a BMCC?  THey put a file in .dng and it appears as frames but I don't know how to get access to it as a video clip

You'll need to transcode the files first.  The way I did it was via Photoshop.
    But you should be able to batch convert in GIMP or Davinci Resolve as well.
    I opened Photoshop and went to file>Scripts>Image Processor
    And then did this to do a batch conversion of all the DNG files to .tiff format, which is a lossless format.
    109104_600.jpg
    HitFilm sometimes gets a little wonky importing .tiff files, but it seems to work fine with these.
    Just click the down arrow next to the 'Import...' button and import your image sequence and scale down the size to 80%.
    108812_900.jpg

• MichaelJames
  • Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    edited March 2013
    -Transfer footage from SD cards (DSLR or Cinema Camera) to categorized folders
    -Import into Sony Vegas Pro
    -Pull all immediately-best-looking shots onto the timeline. Forget the rest (for now)
    -Put all the immediately-best-performance-acting take onto the timeline. (If with actors)
    -Weigh the pros and cons of that narrowed shot selection.
    -Color correct shots to same visual tone or style
    -Watch a corresponding project similar in design or pacing (if I'm editing a music video, I'll watch a music video, etc.)
    -Bring in a number of musical cues, sound effects, or soundscapes to set the atmospheric tone on the timeline
    -Edit to tone and figure out pacing
    -Color grade the footage throughout the editing process
    -Commit to certain cuts and scrap/lightning bolt any footage I haven't used if I'm more than 60-70% complete (Commit or Quit)
    -Play and render in segments, not rough cuts or drafts. If the project is 5 minutes long, I'll render out the first or last minute-and-a-half several times to get them right, then move to the other portions until they cohesively work together- but I'll never pull a 'draft' of something in its entirety out. That damns you to a certain vision, in my opinion, that may not be your own- and loses a sense of wonder behind finding 'polish' in every bit of the fabric of your edit.
    -Render WMV or MP4 for web. (Almost always.)
    -Accept what you've made, be proud of it. Don't change it. Move on. Nobody ever 'finishes' a movie. Not really.
    This mentality and concept has made my workflow fast, professional, streamlined, and in-demand. Whether it's actually artful or high-quality in the end result of the edit isn't for me to say. But yeah, that's how I do things. Never hit a picture lock. Never hit a music lock. Never do color grade last. Find yourself and the vision you're attempting in the edit while you're editing. Otherwise, what's the point? If you're editing something kinetic and injecting saturated colors into the vibrance of shots after-the-fact, it always feels so stale to me. But again, that's just my experience. Same with music- it's why I have a hard time working with composers, and like collaborating on an overall 'idea of where an edit should go' through the script and production, and not just post.
  • MichaelJames
    @Andrew do you transcode it your footage first?  What kinda DSLR do you shoot with?
  • rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    My workflows a bit up in the air right now since I recently decided to give Vegas Pro nesting & integration with HitFilm a try, but this is close to what I did on my last one.
    - Import all footage and sound files
    - use Vegas to review and sort all takes
    - export usable takes to send to director for review
    - rough cut in Vegas
    - sync audio (by hand, but recently decided to give VoOWave a try)
    - Use HF2U to add effects using integration
    - sound effects tweaked in Audicity
    - Intro done in HF2U, credits done in Vegas.
    - Intro, main edit & credits brought together into a new master Vegas Pro project
    - Music track with MixCraft
    - Export main edit as DPX for color correction in Resolve.
    I like the idea of nested projects and integration, but there are a number of problems with it, and I'm not sure it's faster, so it will depend on the project if I do it again.
    Richard.
  • Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    @Andrew do you transcode it your footage first?  What kinda DSLR do you shoot with?

To the best of my knowledge and memory, Michael, no. I've never transcoded footage in the numerous years I've used DSLRs, nor before then. Vegas has always natively conformed video to edit or play, and has only gotten better about pulling it in over time- so yeah, never needed to.
    I currently shoot on a pair of Canon 60Ds and a Sony FS700, with some work on the Canon C-100. None have required transcoding.

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    My workflow for narrative films is similar to everybody else's. I though some of you might be interested in some of the workflows I've developed for making tutorials. There's various approaches which have slightly different results, and which take differing amounts of time to create.
    The long way:
    1. Write a script.
    2. Record the entire VO script.
    3. Record the UI visuals, based on the script. I usually highlight key action points in the script to make it easy to recreate the correct order of events in the software.
    4. Edit the VO audio and the UI recording together, adjusting timing as required. This tends to be quite an involved process, as the speed of the VO doesn't always match the timing of events on-screen.
    This results in a very high quality tutorial but is quite intensive to produce. However, for really super-complex topics, this is often the best way to ensure clarity.
    More recently I've been using a faster method:
    1. Write a plan, and perhaps an intro/outro script.
    2. Following the plan, record the UI visuals. I'll often create a simple list of actions to perform to ensure everything flows nicely, and to avoid any moments where I have to go back and do something I've forgotten to do earlier.
    3. Play back the UI recording and record a live VO as I watch it.
    4. Also record the intro/outro scripted VO bits.
    5. Edit it all together. This is generally a quick process, as the VO was recorded 'live', directly in relation to the timing of events on-screen.
    The result is a more naturalistic tutorial, a much faster process but potentially a slight reduction in clarity.
    Thought that insight might be useful for anybody else who is making tutes!
  • Rajkumar
    Rajkumar Posts: 2
    is it possible to do roundtrip between hitfilm and resolve?
  • Kpow
    Kpow Posts: 1

How do I get my timeline from Vegas to davinci resolve to color it???/ Im a newbe..Thanks

• SteveKarstensen
    SteveKarstensen Posts: 335 Just Starting Out*

I do primarily machinima right now, so my workflow is slightly different from everyone else's.

1. Write the script in Trelby, a rather nice freeware screenplay-writing software package.
    2. Record dialogue in either Audacity or Reaper.
    3. Assemble footage in The Movies and any supporting software (Photoshop, Moviestorm, etc.)
    4. Render out footage from said tools, usually in raw/unedited form.
    5. Convert all footage to .mt2s format via Video2Video (The Movies renders in .wmv, Moviestorm in .webm - neither of which make Hitfilm happy)
    6. Copy movie template folder and rename it.  The template folder is basically a copy of the folder structure I find useful, which contains my Hitfilm project, final script, dialogue folder, scenes folder, title cards, and whatever else.  (This part is still kinda a work in progress.)
    7. Create Hitfilm project and import all resources, making sure to set up project folders as necessary.  (May want to make a template for this step, too.)
    8. Edit footage.
    9. Add sound, including foley/music/voiceovers/narration/whatever and balance levels.
    10. Add global film effects, if any (my current series uses one of the default grainy B&W filters)
    11. Render.
    12. Watch it half a billion times looking for mistakes.  Find one (ONE!) and re-render.
    13. Upload to the YouTubes and spam the Facebooks to tell everybody all about it.
  • Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

@Kpow

There's a couple of posts here with other options that also reference the above video

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-sony-vegas-pro-to-resolve-round-tripping-workflow-part-one-to-resolve/

If you're using the HitFilm/Vegas integration this will not transfer the Hitfilm events. You'll have to render those first.

• FilmTech
    FilmTech Posts: 385 Enthusiast

My editing workflow for films

• Transfer videos from camera to computer
    • Put them into Hitfilm
    • Drag in the score
    • Edit the clips in sync to the music [Not all the time but every now and again]
    • Color correct
    • Add VFX
    • Color grade
    • Add VR
    • Add Sound effects
    • Add Foley
    • Credits
    • Play film to family and friends
    • Record feedback
    • Use feedback to smooth out edit
    • Play to family and friends
    • Record feedback
    • Export film
    • Upload to you tube
    • 1 week later realize all the horrible mistakes made in film
    • Learn from mistakes
    • Move on
    • Make a new film
  • Aidin
    Aidin Posts: 109

1. write stuff

2. shoot stuff

3. edit stuff

4. repeat steps 1-4

• FilmTech
    FilmTech Posts: 385 Enthusiast

Filmriot :D Write Shoot Edit Repeat

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Shoot

Import into Vegas

Log (yawn) and Bin (yawn) 

Edit in Vegas (usually cutting multicam using Ultimate S Pro) 

Color correct in Vegas (note, Vegas users, you can add effects directly to an event at the bin level. Effects propagate across all instances in timeline) 

Send VFX to Hitfilm. I render from Hitfilm as PNG for import to Vegas. 

Grade in Vegas (hint. Create a Vegas track with an empty event [right click in track, select add Empty Event] then put an effect on it. In the effects chain, move Composite to far left of chain. You just created a Grade/Adjustment Layer). 

Audio edit in Vegas. 

Render, watch, prepare output for DVD/Blu-Ray/Wrb, depending. 

Deliver to client. 

Collect payment. 

Look for next job. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
    edited January 2016

Sometimes shoot but more often it's "What the heck did you just give me?"

Figure out what the heck I was just given

Organize, ingest and catalog fixing what needs to be fixed along the way (i.e. vfr to cfr) and extract all audio.

Collect or create necessary assets that weren't included.

Bin

Edit in Vegas. Can't live without Ultimate S and Timeline Tools. 

Color correct in Vegas. If I need to do serious clean up I resort to Avisynth or Vapoursynth

HitFilm for tracking , vfx, motion graphics. 

Titling. I do a lot of lower thirds and use whatever feels right at the time. Could be just Vegas with the Protype Titler, Titler Pro, HitFilm or even PowerPoint.

Audio editing and cleanup. Vegas to Izotope RX to Sound Forge back to Vegas. I usually go for royalty free music but on the occasions I don't Reaper and/or Acid gets used.

Render, send for review, make any requested changes, send for review, send invoice, get paid.

EDIT: Adding to this trick from @Triem23 -

"Grade in Vegas (hint. Create a Vegas track with an empty event [right click in track, select add Empty Event] then put an effect on it. In the effects chain, move Composite to far left of chain. You just created a Grade/Adjustment Layer). "

This trick also works at the track level on composite child tracks so no empty event needed, just the track and track fx will adjust all child tracks.

• Triem23

@Aladdin4d "get paid." Best part of the process. 

• davide445
    davide445 Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

My workflow for latest 2min clip

- two evaluation passage to select first 60 and next 40 of the 230 available clips

- import in PowerDirector 

- last selection, trim definitive clip to 2-7 sec

- export single trimmed clips

- import in HF

- final trim when needed, reorganization, define clips needing denoise, color correction, apply them

- add effects, export clip segments 

- import in PowerDirector, add intro prepared in HF

- select music,  add into PD, trim, mix with clips audio, further splitting when needed

- add transitions to video and audio 

- export and load in Vimeo 

- wait for another opportunity to better my skills in this wonderful vfx world :)

• Messen
    Messen Posts: 85 Enthusiast

My workflow (checklist) is this:

1. Write the script
    2. Rewrite it
    3. Again
    4. Hire/bribe actors and collect props and locations
    5. Shoot the scenes
    6. Rewrite the script
    7. Reshoot some scenes
    8. Export from Nikon
    9. Convert the raw to DNxHD whit ffmpeg and moviepy
    10. Orgenize the whole mass to a manageable mass. Split the audio form video
    11. First draft cut in (I know, I know) Movie Magic
    12. Rewrite the script
    13. Reshoot some scenes
    14. Scene-by-scene: (I am here now with my project)
      14.a. First draft VFX in Hitfilm
      14.b. Additional VFX in Blender
      14.c. Finishing touches on VFX in Hitfilm
      14.d. AFX in Sound Forge
    15. Final cut in Movie Magic
    16. Music editing in Sound Forge
    17. Second final cut
    18. Show it to the actors
    19. Recut the second final cut
    20. Don't show it to anybody just publish it

And it's not a joke :)

• 1. Film.

2. Import and Backup.

3. Find a few songs or scores to add that I think will help induce better editing.

4. Add clips chronologically using in and outs. 

5. Play each scene through, tighten down the edits more, and add music.

6. Add any vfx or grading.

7. Come back days later after It's not as fresh and remove everything I've questioned that is not needed to tell the story.

8. Export.

8b. Never re-watch it again, beginning to end, in case I forgot something.

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Posts: 190 Just Starting Out

Film riot, YouTube stuff in general vfx wise, think about what I want to do, get depressed cos I can't until I buy X, buy X, upgrade to latest hitfilm (but never use it), muck around with 3D stuff and motion 5,  film riot, youtube stuff about film stuff, upgrade to latest hitfilm (but never use it) muck around with 3D stuff and motion 5, think about I want to do, get depressed cos I don't feel like doing it after a 12 hour physical shift at work, muck around with 3D stuff and motion 5, upgrade to latest hitfilm (but never use it), rinse and repeat the above for two years and counting...... 

• PaulHesh
    PaulHesh Posts: 120 Enthusiast

Just saw this on No FIlm School

They just updated the software, looks really good for you guys, because I don't do shorts.

Main site Celtx ...there's a FREE version too!

Hesh

• Triem23

I use Celtx. Cross-platform, including mobile. Pretty nice software

• Onixarts
    Onixarts Posts: 120

My workflow is similar, but there is one extra step that I also make. I do music by myself, and sometimes it is recomended that movie is synchronized with music. It is hard to sync video with music that not exists yet ;), so when I initially put shots into timeline with some kind of music idea in my head. Then I export scene for music composition. Then open it in FLStudio, make music draft that match current scene. After music is done, I get it into Hitfilm, and cut shots to make them fit better with music. Then remove / mute music in hitfilm and do edit other scenes and add vfx. In meanwhile, I polish songs.

After all scenes are done, I render it again and put whole movie in FLStudio again, for sounds, sfx, foley, dialogs and music mixing.

After sound stuff is done, render it to a single wave and import it for final mix to HitFilm. Then do some color corections and grading. Movie is ready to go ;)

• Sarasota
    Sarasota Posts: 267 Just Starting Out*
    edited August 2016
  • Triem23

@Sarasota, I listed video workflow, but I getcha on the stage tech nights! Idiots in the parking lot, indeed. Especially when I have to drive the box truck with the dance flooring.