Radeon 7950 HD

BeyondReach
BeyondReach Posts: 44
edited March 2013 in Post-production techniques
ok....so I am planning on upgrading my video card. Is anybody out there using this card for there projects?
Let me know how you like it and how much of a difference it made in your workflow concerning rendering in composite, etc...
My current specs:
Win 7 Pro 64bit
i7 6-core 3.2 Ghz 12mb cache
16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel/Corsair Vengeance
Radeon 6670 HD
thanks!

Comments

• Hendo
    Hendo Staff Posts: 160 Enthusiast
    I don't have experience with either of those cards, but Tom's Hardware has an excellent graphics card hierarchy which you might find useful.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
    According to their research, you should see a big jump in performance with your proposed upgrade.  The 7950 is a good 9 tiers better than the 6670.
  • I don't have experience with either of those cards, but Tom's Hardware has an excellent graphics card hierarchy which you might find useful.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
    According to their research, you should see a big jump in performance with your proposed upgrade.  The 7950 is a good 9 tiers better than the 6670.

thanks! I read read the reviews. Apparently this card is pretty powerful for the price.

• Well....I finally decided and purchased a EVGA 660 Ti Super clock edition with 3 GB of VRAM. The core clock speed is 950 and and can be boosted to 1036. I will let everybody know (if anybody is interested in an upgrade) how it runs once I get a chance to sit down and put it through the paces in HF2U this week.
  • Ady
    Ady Staff Posts: 1,531 Staff
    Well....I finally decided and purchased a EVGA 660 Ti Super clock edition with 3 GB of VRAM. The core clock speed is 950 and and can be boosted to 1036. I will let everybody know (if anybody is interested in an upgrade) how it runs once I get a chance to sit down and put it through the paces in HF2U this week.

Hi,
    I'm curious, how are you getting on with the card?
    Ady

• BeyondReach
    edited May 2013

Hi,
    I'm curious, how are you getting on with the card?
    Ady

Hey Ady,
    You will have to forgive me...sometimes when you set out to do something, It usually doesn't go the way you planned...
    anyhoo....I haven't been able to even sit down at the computer this week at all....but, tonight I will run through some of the tutorials that I know was giving my old card a fight and see how much improvement there is with the new one and then try to post back some results. 
    Apparently, according to what I have read and what the ubergeek at Tiger Direct told me, That Nvidia cards are ideal for video manipulation and editing. He told me that the CUDA processors are designed for not only intensive 3D grfx but also for video. In which might be true...I was on the Blackmagic cinema website yesterday and read where their video editing software has a optimized option for running CUDA based video cards. in any case we will find out.

• Ady
    Hey Ady,
    You will have to forgive me...sometimes when you set out to do something, It usually doesn't go the way you planned...
    anyhoo....I haven't been able to even sit down at the computer this week at all....but, tonight I will run through some of the tutorials that I know was giving my old card a fight and see how much improvement there is with the new one and then try to post back some results.

Hey,
    There's no rush, whenever you're free. I was just keen to hear back with regards to performance. It interests me & yes I'm a bit of a geek too!  ;) 
    Cheers,
    Ady

• BeyondReach

Hey,
    There's no rush, whenever you're free. I was just keen to hear back with regards to performance. It interests me & yes I'm a bit of a geek too!  ;) 
    Cheers,
    Ady

ha! 
    yeah we are all geeks when it comes to things we love doing. Even underwater basket weaving....except you would be called an "under water basket weaving geek".     8-|  :P

• Ady
    edited May 2013

ha! 
    yeah we are all geeks when it comes to things we love doing. Even underwater basket weaving....except you would be called an "under water basket weaving geek".     8-|  :P

Ha Ha!
    How did you know about my secret hobby? I knew I recognised you from somewhere!  :P

• BeyondReach
    edited May 2013

Ha Ha!
    How did you know about my secret hobby? I knew I recognised you from somewhere!  :P

Hey Ady...as an update. I can't complain. The only slow down that I have had so far was last night in the editor chopping up a pant load of clips for a 3 minute short film. but I think the slowdown came when I had over 15 tracks of crap in the editor. It was enough to choke anything. so I ended up going to the Sony platinum, do my cuts, then drop them back in for my compositing. I went through the recent orb tutorial with no slow down at all, and actually added crap to it than Axle did for giggles to see if it would stutter.
    On another note, I did read another topic where "IntheFlesh" wrote something about Nvidia choked the 600 series so that people would pick up the quadro cards to do heavy 3D. But, since I don't do 3D art primary (at all) I think this card works pretty good for me. It is better than what I had after all....a Radeon 6650.

• Hey Redeemed, what did you do with your Radeon 6670 HD card.
    First was it working ok
    Second do you want to sell it?