How do I update and turn off 'Home' page?

SpectralisSpectralis Website User Posts: 12
edited February 2013 in Post-production techniques
I own Hitfilm 2 Ultimate. I'm trying to figure out how to update it. There's no link in HF2 and the website doesn't have an update page. I also want to turn off the 'Home' page in HF2 which is linked to the website. HF2 always starts with this page and I don't want that. When I need training or news updates a simple link would suffice. I've looked through options but can't find a way to turn this off. The ability to change the layout and colour of HF2 would also be helpful. Apart from these incredibly irritating problems HF2 is great.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited February 2013
    If an update is available the software will let you know when you start it up, as long as you're connected to the internet. Otherwise, the installer in your account is always the latest version: http://hitfilm.com/account/software
    The Home page can't be 'turned off'. It's only one click to start a new project, though, plus it gives you easy access to previous projects - what specifically do you not like about it? I'm genuinely interested, as we're always looking for ways to improve the software.
    You can completely customise the layout of the Edit & Effects screen. One of the getting started tutorials focuses specifically on interface customisation:

Since that video was made we've also added in keyboard shortcut customisation and some other interface improvements, which you can find out about in this video:

Can you go into a bit more detail about what you'd like to do regarding changing the colour of HF2?
  • SpectralisSpectralis Website User Posts: 12
    Hi Simon, thanks for your reply. I'd prefer that HF2 opened with the new project page rather than the home page with the tutorials and news. I only want to access tuts when I need them and want to get straight into a project when I open HF2.
    I prefer to work with a much lighter coloured GUI so if it's possible to create templates with different colours that would be great.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    I totally support the wish for more customization with colors, and especially layer colors! I'd would be a huge deal to be able to assign a custom color to each layer.
  • guitar74guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
    Nothing wrong with the homepage, kind of like to see whats going on and find tutorials easy. Maybe make a turn off button for the people that dont want it, but other than that, I like it myself.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Robin - I can definitely see how layer colours could be very, very useful. I think Spectralis was referring to changing the colour of the main interface itself.

Robin - I can definitely see how layer colours could be very, very useful. I think Spectralis was referring to changing the colour of the main interface itself.
    I'm aware of that and would like to see options for the interface colours too, just thought the layer colours would go well along this suggestion ;)
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited February 2013
    If I can throw my 2 cents in- the laptop I use for HF2U I don't take online that much. If there's an update the software catches it as soon as I go online and there's usually an announcement on the website. Whether the Homepage is there or not, Simon is correct that a new project is just a click away.
    As to the custom colors for layers- I think that would be a very useful tool but custom colors for the program interface is a bit of an extravagance that doesn't directly add to the purpose or function of HF2U, IMHO. Kind of like having a laptop with light up letters- they may look cool but the feature uses up resources i.e. battery power and has no impact on the overall purpose of the laptop. Although.........it's very useful at night when the power goes out and there's nothing else to do.
  • RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    StormyKnight, how can you say that about light-up keyboards!!! You mean my keyboard that pulses different colors or does 'the wave' was not the primary reason I got my laptop? @-)
    Okay, maybe it was the i7, the 16 Gigs of RAM, the overclock and fan buttons, or the 570M processor with 3 Gigs of dedicated RAM.
    But now I'm not so sure. Maybe I should take it back. *grin*
    I'm okay with Hitfilm opening up as it does now, though honestly I usually jump right to my project without looking at the screen much.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, definitely food for thought. We've not had a huge amount of feedback on the Home screen one way or the other until now, so it's all interesting stuff.
    Well I have to agree with rtrowbridge, I'm not really bothered by the homescreen but mostly skip it as well so it's one click more... If I'm not using the recent projects section which I do quite often, that is. So maybe, while we're on it, the ideal home screen for me would be some sort of hybrid of the current one and the new project screen - making me able to quickly open project I worked with previously, and also create a new project directly from the home screen.
    Oh, and one thing seems to be a bug on the home screen, most of the projects in the Recent Projects section show up as duplicates. Mostly, but not always, directly beneath each other. Not that big of a deal, but not pretty either, also causing that I can only access about three or four of my recent projects through it.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

StormyKnight, how can you say that about light-up keyboards!!! You mean my keyboard that pulses different colors or does 'the wave' was not the primary reason I got my laptop? @-)
    LOL- The fancy keyboard might be the reason you got your laptop but if that was the main function that the laptop was designed to do, you're wasting an i7, 16 gigs of RAM and a 570M processor! If you don't want those to go to waste I'm sure I could take it off your hands for say maybe..........$15? ;)
    The only reason I got the light-up keyboard was because as the bill was totaled up by Dell, the extra $75 for the keyboard put me in a better financing category. Without it the order fell short by $42 so I thought- what the heck.
    Sorry, StormyKnight. You're missing a couple zeroes on that price, and even then I would be selling it for a bit of a loss.
    I like the way my 570M handles Hitfilm. But I do have to admit, the crazy keyboard lighting does get a lot of attention. I was giving a demo of a weather station last December at a Faraday event geared towards families, and the keyboard on my laptop got more attention from the kids than all the weather sensors did.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    I could take it off your hands for say maybe..........$15.00? ;)
    There, I fixed it.

There, I fixed it.
    That is so NOT sold... Nice try, though! *grin*
  • LuculentLouLuculentLou Website User Posts: 2

Please get rid of the Home Page. It reminds me of a website viewed by the Edge browser, or a Universal App by Microsoft and I won't use either.

I was ready to request a refund when I saw the home page, but I don't mind the UI of the project page except for the dark screen.

Is there a way to change the screen to a normal color? I can't read dark background text.

• mphtflmmphtflm Website User Posts: 2

Yes, being able to remove the Homepage would be nice since imho it just looks uninviting and cluttered.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

@mphtflm If you'd like to see the Home page removed, add your voice to the wishlist thread

• plop098plop098 Website User Posts: 1
    edited July 2019

Yeah please remove the homepage it looks pretty cluttered.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,180 Moderator
    edited July 2019

I totally don't understand why people feel the need to trash the Home screen.  It's only there for a few seconds until you click on Open or New project and cannot be considered in any way intrusive.  But, hey, I'm just a user like you two, so what do I know...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

There is a workaround to this I use myself. Takes a little work to set up, after that it's easy-peasy. I looked at the type of work I do and set up "Template" projects (It's just a regular project, that I always "Save As" to the real Project folder.) 

So,  to animate in 3D, I set up my framerate and resolution, cameras (multiple cameras, so I have common focal lengths ready to go), a three point lighting rig, a black plane and white plane in the media bin (for anything else I'll use Fill Color), my "Notepad" Comp (this is just a comp with several text layers set to a plain, small font I can use to write notes in my project file. You're all welcome for that tip. ?).

Ok, save that project. Move it to a folder called "Hitfilm Templates" on the desktop. Next time I do 3D animation I open the folder, double click the HFP file and Hitfilm opens, bypassing the home screen, directly into the project. Also, all that boring setup is done. 

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast

+1 @tddavis

@Triem23 Yes, thank you. You should charge more for these tips.:-)

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,867 Ambassador

Just to add, now that 13 is released into the wild, it seems to load this splash screen way quicker than before. 

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,180 Moderator
    edited May 30
This discussion has been closed.