HP workstation, maybe?

Hey guys. I have been looking at some HP workstation like HP Z820 and smaller models.
http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/workstations/z820_features.html#.USdKGju0PLI
HP Z820 is the most powerful model, they have some smaller, but would it be better to run hitfilm on a machine like this? or would it be best to run it on a extreme gamining pc?
Also, i see these computers have Intel® Xeon®, (HP Z820 support up to 16 cores, wow.) or would you guys recommended Intel Core i7?

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Woah. Well, if you buy this machine, you probably won't have problems with any software that comes out in the next ten years... HitFilm will run smooth as butter on this, I guess.
    The Xeon processors are aimed at the professional market, more than the "standard" i7 and so on, so from the raw power they should work way better then the sandy bridge cpus. I just don't know if there could be any driver issues with HitFilm, the devs will have to confirm on that.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    One thing to bear in mind is that HitFilm is optimised for gamer/consumer GPUs, not Quadros. So you may see an impact there - we haven't tested extensively with Quadros. Having said that, the machines Sony gave us at IBC last year were equipped with Quadros and they handled HitFilm with aplomb.
    As Robin says, as far as I know that machine should be a bit of a beast. I love that it can take 'up to 512 GB' of memory.
  • mhscspomhscspo Website User Posts: 5
    I have a Z820 that I bought as a Christmas present for myself, mine has an 8 core  Xeon processor, 16GB ram and an NVIDIA Quadro 400 video card and running Windows 7 Professional, so far everything runs nice and smoothe with while using HitFilm Ultimate2.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I have a Z820 that I bought as a Christmas present for myself, mine has an 8 core  Xeon processor, 16GB ram and an NVIDIA Quadro 400 video card and running Windows 7 Professional, so far everything runs nice and smoothe with while using HitFilm Ultimate2.

Have you had a chance to try tackling some 4k video?