3D

Is there a way to make a 3D model/effect appear behind another in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate??? If so please tell me.

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Yes, they relate to one another in 3D space, so generally whichever one is nearer the camera will appear in front. If you are working with multiple 3D models, make sure you have them all in the same layer if you want them to interact, so you can position them relative to one another. Each 3D model layer uses its own 3D space, so if you have models on different layers, then whichever layer is highest on the timeline will appear in front.
    With 3D effects, you can have as many different layers as you like, and they al exist natively within Hitfilm's 3D compositing environment, so the position of each one relative to the others is fully adjustable.
  • KevinH1KevinH1 Website User Posts: 1
    I had a fairly difficult time understanding the 3d model concept at first. It clicked in my head when I started thinking about 3d model layers as a mirror on a wall. You're looking at a flat surface, but you can see into a 3d space. You then have the option of adding an object to the space you're already looking at, or creating a whole new mirror (or 3d space) which can be placed above or below the original.
    Here's the part that seems self explanatory now, but wasn't for me at first. To get two objects in the same space you have to drag your second object layer directly on top of your original object layer in the timeline. The 2nd object will appear in the viewer, but you will only have one layer on your timeline. To adjust the properties (movement) of the objects independently, you have to expand the layer in the timeline, navigate to the 'Models' section and expand that as well. There you will see a list of objects you have added to that layer. You can now expand each of those, and make your property adjustments.
    Now to answer your question...As Axel says, 3d effects are a different story. They work in their own separate 3d space, or mirror. To have these SEEM like they exist in the same space as a 3d model, you will have to make a composite shot of your model, and then make that composite shot a 3d layer on your timeline with the effect. HOWEVER you must complete the animation/lighting of your model in your composite timeline. If you manipulate the 3d composite layer on the original timeline, it would be like taking the mirror off of the wall and making adjustments. Therefore, if you turned it 90 degrees, your model would disappear. The same would be true if you held a mirror in your hands and turned that mirror 90 degrees, you would no longer see your reflection, only the side of the mirror. The important thing to understand is that at this point your object is not in the same 3d space as the effect, but the 3d composite layer that the 3d model lives in is.
    There might be a better way to do this, but as far as I know, this is the only option.
    By the way, this is my first post, so hi to Axel and everyone. I'll take this opportunity to say thanks for a great product and all of the excellent tutorials...I've learned quite a bit from you guys in a fairly short amount of time.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Hi Careful Coffee! Welcome to the forums, and interesting explanations for some of the 3D concepts.
    The development of the 3D model import did necessitate it operating in its own '3D space', hence you can't have particles existing in and around a 3D model. That's something we might be able to improve at some point in the future, as it'd definitely be useful (and easier to understand) if everything operated in the same space, as with the particle simulator.
  • emedina2000emedina2000 Website User Posts: 4
    Is there a way to make a 3D Model appear behind a specific object(s) in my video without masking?
    Example: Getting an airplane to fly behind silos in my video.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited March 2013
    No.  Either you need to mask parts of the model, so that it appears to be behind the objects, or you need to mask the video, to separate those objects fromt eh rest of the scene, so that the model can move around behind them. Of course, you could use techniques like greenscreen to create the mask, so that it doesn't have to be done manually.  But there has to be some sort of matte, or mask involved.
    Alternately, if the objects aren't already in your video, then you could import them separately and set up the whole scene in 3D, and that wouldn't require masking.