A shoulder rig with electronic follow focus up on kickstarter.

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
edited February 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
So a very handy capable guy is trying to add something to the shoulder rig market place. If you're an indie filmmaker you've either seen really crappy rigs for cheap or really good rigs for too much. Now this guy is a lil ways off from hitting his goal but its not too hard for things to pick up. Take a look and if you are looking for something that has potential then jump on this. I do not know the guy, I just saw this randomly when searching for stuff about my Canon 6d. I have a crappy little spider rig that I saw on Amazon from a bunch of different resallers. I also bought a shoulder strap mount that does a great job of holding a camera in arms reach in front of you(very securely). This seems to blend a little of that shoulder rig, with a easier follow focus for those of us with no one to throw focus.

Link to kick starter
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255527665/spektor-systems-dslr-video-camera-rig

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Looks potentially quite cool, though the Kickstarter page and video seem to be lacking in a lot of detail. As somebody that has never used a shoulder rig, why would I want to use this particular one? I'd also want to see some sample footage shot from a camera using the rig. The pitch hasn't quite grabbed me on this one, alas.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I agree with Simon on this one. I'm not really sold on this idea. I think it is fine, but looking at the kickstarter and the price to actually get a "Talon". I'm almost positive you could make something similar, with a manual follow focus system for a fraction of the price...
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited February 2013
    I like the concept as it incorporates steady cam type handles and a support to the torso and the shoulder but I was more interested in the technique he used to set up the focusing system to which he didn't really elaborate. I'd like to see that concept spread beyond shoulder rigs and something that can be DIY. (Is there anything like that? I haven't looked yet.)
    Video of the Talon in action would have helped too. I'd like to know how sensitive the action is, can it be finely adjusted and to what degree? What are the limits in range of movement, etc.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Yeah, it does seem like the most successful Kickstarters are the ones with a ton of fine detail. Given that Kickstarters are generally for products that don't yet exist, it's crucial to have that up-front design information so that you can get a proper picture of what you're backing.
    That said, the guy behind the project does seem like a cool guy, so hopefully he gets somewhere with the project.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    @Matthias. I've looked into some of the DIY rigs and stuff and found a lot very lacking. Also to get aluminum anything in a DIY project would make for something a little more cost prohibitive. Im curious how well the electronic follow focus works.