Export with Alpha Channel

Hi, I was just wondering whether it is possible to export an effect or a piece of footage that you have masked along with it's alpha channel so that you don't have to Luminance key the black when you want to use this footage on something in the future

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Yep, you can render out to a PNG image sequence to retain the alpha channel.
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2013
    If you want to render out the alpha channel as video, you can also export it as a uncompressed AVI, and set the color depth to 32-bit RGBA.
    This works fine, but does create a huge file. I've been taking the huge AVI from HF to vegas to convert it to a .MOV with alpha.
    Hope this helps,
    Richard.
  • SilentwisherSilentwisher Website User Posts: 28
    Yep, you can render out to a PNG image sequence to retain the alpha channel.

If you want to render out the alpha channel as video, you can also export it as a uncompressed AVI, and set the color depth to 32-bit RGBA.
    This works fine, but does create a huge file. I've been taking the huge AVI from HF to vegas to convert it to a .MOV with alpha.
    Hope this helps,
    Richard.

I have tried both of these and with no luck. I have attached my project. So the black bg I dont want.
    Silent, use a grade layer instead of the plane, and it should do what you want.  I added a grade layer, copied the effects from the plane, deleted the plane and it worked as expected.
    There is a difference between no background, and a black background.  Using the plane gave you a black one, while using a grade gives a transparent one.
    Richard.
    Silent, use a grade layer instead of the plane, and it should do what you want.  I added a grade layer, copied the effects from the plane, deleted the plane and it worked as expected.
    There is a difference between no background, and a black background.  Using the plane gave you a black one, while using a grade gives a transparent one.
    Richard.

So thank you for point out that :) The problem is its still not doing want I want to do. So for example I want to take the effect and text and make it a transparent or whatever file that I can put on top of other footage. For example like action essentials. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador
    I do want to point out that you could always save out the effect as a composite shot to import into a new project to comp over new footage. If you're using text this might be a better way to plan your workflow as, with the composite shot, you could change the text and keep the effects, or easily customize the existing effects over new footage. Whether working in Hitfilm, Vegas or After Effects I like to save out my "stock library" in project form to nest/precomp while keeping the flexibility of editing the stock element.
  • RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    SilentWisher,
    What is your color-depth setting when you export your image sequence. If it is at 24-bit  (RGB), you'll get a black background because the 24-bit image doesn't include an alpha channel. If you bump it up to 32-bit (RGBA), you'll get your transparent alpha channel, assuming you don't have a plane blocking the background.
    In addition to what rtrowbridge said about making sure it's RGBA when you export , you might want to double check the property settings of the media in whatever program you plan to use it in to make sure it's properly seeing/using the alpha channel.  For example, I know the latest versions of Vegas will normally see and use the alpha properly, but on occasion I have to go into properties/media/alpha channel and make sure it's set right.
    SilentWisher,
    What is your color-depth setting when you export your image sequence. If it is at 24-bit  (RGB), you'll get a black background because the 24-bit image doesn't include an alpha channel. If you bump it up to 32-bit (RGBA), you'll get your transparent alpha channel, assuming you don't have a plane blocking the background.

In addition to what rtrowbridge said about making sure it's RGBA when you export , you might want to double check the property settings of the media in whatever program you plan to use it in to make sure it's properly seeing/using the alpha channel.  For example, I know the latest versions of Vegas will normally see and use the alpha properly, but on occasion I have to go into properties/media/alpha channel and make sure it's set right.

Thank you guys so much! I got it working now :)<3
  • BluePhoenixFilmworksBluePhoenixFilmworks Website User Posts: 14

Is it possible to do this with the new update?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

@BluePhoenixFilmworks in current versions of Hitfilm there are multiple ways to export with Alpha Channel. In Hitfilm Express you have options to export PNG sequences. On PC you can export to Cineform with Alpha, on Mac you have ProRes. Hitfilm Pro can render TIFF or EXR sequences with Alpha. The Export Queue should already have multiple presets set up and labeled. 

@TheBenNorris old thread from 2013 ready to close. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@Triem23 "Hitfilm Pro can render TIFF or EXR sequences with Alpha" 

TIFF? I don't see it.

@NormanPCN huh. Could have sworn earlier versions of Hitfilm had TIFF export. I might install something older to double check, but, for now, I sit corrected. 

@Triem23 Don't think Hitfilm has ever supported TIFF image sequences. Also, why would one remove it. Breaks backwards compatibility.

@NormanPCN Yeah, I think my memory was merely in error here. I'm probably wishful thinking one of my old wishlist items. ;-) Wanting a way to export a 16-bit/channel output that wasn't EXR sequences.

@Triem23 "I think my memory was merely in error here"

A little Vegas on the brain maybe. Vegas supports TIFF sequences.

"Wanting a way to export a 16-bit/channel output that wasn't EXR sequences"

EXR is actually more like 10-bit if one compares to integer output of TIF. EXR is 16-bit float with a 10-bit mantissa. Of course there is an exponent and every stop of light gets the full 10-bit of range. 16-bit integer has a theoretical 16 stops but that covers full black to white.  The blackest stop only has 1 bit for levels (two levels). EXR 16-bit has 30 stops of range and with full 10-bit precision per stop. In my mind that makes EXR preferable. Excluding compatibility considerations of course.