Are These Laptops Good for Hitfilm?

Hi, I made a post in this forum about 1.5 years ago and it turned out my laptop couldn't handle the Hitfilm demo. But now I have a bit of money saved up (about $700) for a new laptop, and I would like to get one that can easily handle running Hitfilm. I have done some research and came up with three possible options.
HP Envy- $599 6GB RAM, AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 7660G, 1366x768 resolution
Lenovo IdeaPad G780- $679 6GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor, Nvidia Geforce GT 635m, 1600 x 900 resolution
Acer Aspire- $699 6GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor, Nvidia Geforce GT 640m, 1366x768 resolution
Are any of these good laptops that would be able to run Hitfilm well? I am not a tech-type guy and don't know anything about GPUs and these ones aren't listed on the system requirements page so it is hard for me to tell how good they are.
Could anyone tell me how good these laptops are and how well they could handle Hitfilm? Or recommend a good laptop in the same price range? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,436 Staff

Hi, I made a post in this forum about 1.5 years ago and it turned out my laptop couldn't handle the Hitfilm demo. But now I have a bit of money saved up (about $700) for a new laptop, and I would like to get one that can easily handle running Hitfilm. I have done some research and came up with three possible options.
    HP Envy- $599 6GB RAM, AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 7660G, 1366x768 resolution
    Lenovo IdeaPad G780- $679 6GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor, Nvidia Geforce GT 635m, 1600 x 900 resolution
    Acer Aspire- $699 6GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor, Nvidia Geforce GT 640m, 1366x768 resolution
    Are any of these good laptops that would be able to run Hitfilm well? I am not a tech-type guy and don't know anything about GPUs and these ones aren't listed on the system requirements page so it is hard for me to tell how good they are.
    Could anyone tell me how good these laptops are and how well they could handle Hitfilm? Or recommend a good laptop in the same price range? Thanks in advance!
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
    Machine 1 is below specification, due to the under strength GPU (Graphics card).
    Machine 2 & 3, will most likely run the software but not very well. They hover around the mid-range area of Laptop GPU's & they are supported but may be a little slow. Machine 2 will be slower than Machine 3 though.
    The unfortunate thing is when buying a laptop is that if you want one that is good for things like HitFilm or gaming, you have to unfortunately spend a little bit more.
    We always suggest buying a desktop as the option to upgrade is also there when your components become old or you wish for more power so to speak. When purchasing a laptop this ability is removed, as most laptops cannot be upgraded without the need for expensive like external graphics cards which then also removes the mobility of the device.
    If there is anything else I can help with, please get back in touch.
    Thanks,
    Ady
  • migaranmigaran Website User Posts: 7
    edited February 2013
    Ady, thank you for the response. I will cross the first two options off my list. I understand that desktops are more powerful, but I am always on the go and really need a laptop. I would like to spend as little money as possible, but I've decided to spend a little more if it means getting a laptop that can handle Hitfilm well. In addition to the Acer in my first post, I have found a few more possible options, so here are all the choices I could find:
    Acer Aspire- $729 6GB RAM, Intel Core i5 processor, 1600x900 resolution, GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
    MSI CX61- $799, 6GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor, 1366x768 resolution, NVIDIA GeForce GT 645M
    MSI GE60- $899, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5 processor, 1920x1080 resolution, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650M, HDD 7200rpm (the other options are all 5400)
    If you have the time, could you take a look at these and let me know what you think? They are a little more expensive than my first choices, but still under $1000 which is all I can afford. How well would these handle Hitfilm or gaming?
    I don't know much about technical specs on computers. Is an i5 processor any good or should I focus on laptops with i7 only? Is 1366x768 resolution any good? How good are these GPUs (again, the only ones I can afford)? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a newbie when it comes to tech-talk. And thanks again Ady, I really appreciate your help! :)
    edited February 2013

Ady, thank you for the response. I will cross the first two options off my list. I understand that desktops are more powerful, but I am always on the go and really need a laptop. I would like to spend as little money as possible, but I've decided to spend a little more if it means getting a laptop that can handle Hitfilm well. In addition to the Acer in my first post, I have found a few more possible options, so here are all the choices I could find:
    Acer Aspire- $729 6GB RAM, Intel Core i5 processor, 1600x900 resolution, GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
    MSI CX61- $799, 6GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor, 1366x768 resolution, NVIDIA GeForce GT 645M
    MSI GE60- $899, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5 processor, 1920x1080 resolution, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650M, HDD 7200rpm (the other options are all 5400)
    If you have the time, could you take a look at these and let me know what you think? They are a little more expensive than my first choices, but still under $1000 which is all I can afford. How well would these handle Hitfilm or gaming?
    I don't know much about technical specs on computers. Is an i5 processor any good or should I focus on laptops with i7 only? Is 1366x768 resolution any good? How good are these GPUs (again, the only ones I can afford)? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a newbie when it comes to tech-talk. And thanks again Ady, I really appreciate your help! :)
    Hi,
    Sorry for some reason I'm not getting email responses to your replies. So my apologies for not replying sooner.
    We of course understand that no one wishes to spend an absolute ton of money when it comes to running a piece of software. And we did our best to make sure that HitFilm could be run on a varying & comprehensive amount of graphics cards.
    Gaming laptops by nature are quite expensive unfortunately, especially when compared to the desktop counterparts. But if you wanted to run HitFilm, you could do so on a Laptop that contained an Intel HD 3000 or 4000. Laptops containing these Intel chipsets should be relatively cheap to buy & although they won't run HitFilm at the top notch speed of a dedicated card, they are very very capable.
    So if you wish to spend as little as possible, it might be worth checking those options out too. Most i3, i5 & i7 CPU's have the Intel HD chipset (Please make sure it is an HD 3000 or 4000 though before buying) which makes tracking them down fairly easy.
    Anyway, on to what you have asked.
    Machine 1 & Machine 2, these are slightly higher end 'mid-range' cards, again they are compatible with HitFilm & will run the software but there are certainly more powerful cards available. These 2 are pretty much directly on par with each other.
    Machine 3 is more 'high end' & is certainly no slouch. Again compatible & capable of running the software well, I think a few of our users may already have a similar set-up to this.
    With regards to the i5 vs i7, either is fine, we always prefer the i7 processors here in the office but the i5 is absolutely fine & is a very capable CPU. As for the resolution, it's really not that important, you'd be hard pushed to find a modern laptop that wasn't able to show a 'good' resolution. The ones you have listed are fine.
    Thanks,
    Ady
    Thanks again Ady, that helps me understand things better. I do get that gaming laptops are expensive. I am not expecting to find a top of the line computer, just one that can run Hitfilm and some modern games reasonably well.
    If you don't mind....I do have just a few more questions though. From what I have heard it is usually best to stay away from the Intel HD graphics and have a dedicated card, but you seem to be saying the HD 4000 is able to handle Hitfilm fairly well. So simply put, would hitfilm run better with an HD 4000 or say a Nvidia GT 640M? Again, I am completely clueless when it comes to GPUs.
    Hopefully one of the laptops I've listed so far will be ok and I can get that. But I did find one more option that is on sale for $1000 right now and if it is considerably better I might consider it- a Lenovo Y580 with a Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor, 8GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB. Is this any better than the other laptops I have mentioned so far?
    Sorry for all the questions, I think that is all of them though. :P And thank you again for helping a newbie like me!

Thanks again Ady, that helps me understand things better. I do get that gaming laptops are expensive. I am not expecting to find a top of the line computer, just one that can run Hitfilm and some modern games reasonably well.
    If you don't mind....I do have just a few more questions though. From what I have heard it is usually best to stay away from the Intel HD graphics and have a dedicated card, but you seem to be saying the HD 4000 is able to handle Hitfilm fairly well. So simply put, would hitfilm run better with an HD 4000 or say a Nvidia GT 640M? Again, I am completely clueless when it comes to GPUs.
    Hopefully one of the laptops I've listed so far will be ok and I can get that. But I did find one more option that is on sale for $1000 right now and if it is considerably better I might consider it- a Lenovo Y580 with a Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor, 8GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB. Is this any better than the other laptops I have mentioned so far?
    Sorry for all the questions, I think that is all of them though. :P And thank you again for helping a newbie like me!
    No problem, we are here to help & we certainly do our best.
    Do you know which games you are looking at running? It's certainly worth knowing what you are looking at there too, as HitFilm's requirements may be a lot less than a modern 3D game.
    For all intents & purposes if you wish to run modern games you would probably need to stay away from the Intel HD chipsets, I was merely saying from a HitFilm perspective the Intel HD chipsets run the software quite well considering it's an 'on-board' GPU. If you go back to the days before the Intel HD 3000 /4000, on-board chipsets were absolutely useless, there was no hope of running anything on them let alone a 3D game. And although performance is still not as good as a dedicated card, you can now at least run games on them to a fairly decent standard.
    No, you should always go for a dedicated card, the Intel HD is most probably the lowest card we support & the GT 640M will out perform it quite comfortably without breaking a sweat. The Intel HD lacks certain features that a dedicated card has as standard, therefore it struggles when things like anti-aliasing is applied for example.
    As a cheap alternative it is great, but you should always aim to meet the recommended specifications of any software you wish to run & the Intel HD falls short of that.
    That laptop would be fine for HitFilm, it's certainly quite high spec, ticks all the boxes for HitFilm use.
    The other thing to consider for yourself is the battery life, if you're gaming & using HitFilm a lot during your travels the battery isn't going to last too long. So make sure you factor in maybe having a spare battery into the cost of your laptop or checking the battery life when 'under load'.
    You may have already checked these sites, but I have enclosed some links below to some of the best manufacturers (in my opinion) of laptops in the World right now. Check these sites out & see if you can find something you like the look of. You of course do not need to buy anything from these guys, but they are good to check when researching the purchase of a laptop.
    Alienware
    Sager
    ASUS
    It might also be worth getting in touch with these guys PowerNotebooks.com to see if they can offer you a good custom built laptop based around some of the specifications from Sager.
    I hope this helps, please feel free to asked any further questions if you are still unsure of anything at all. Do not part with any money until you are 100% satisfied that what you are getting is right for YOU. :)
    Many Thanks,
    Ady
    Thank you for all the help here Ady, I really appreciate it. :) I think I understand everything a lot better now thanks to you. I'm not really a hardcore gamer but it would be nice to be able to play Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim on something other than low settings. I'll make sure I get at least a 640m but hopefully a better GPU.
    And thank you for those links too...I've never heard of Sager before but after doing some research it seems like they make some really nice laptops. I found one Sager (NP9130) that seems really nice, but for $1200 it's about double what I was initially hoping to spend. So it will take some work to convince the missus to let me spend that much. :blush:
    But that is all the questions I have. I just need to pick between the choices I've found so far. Thank you again, and hopefully I can start playing with Hitfilm soon!