Big News for Drone Industry: FAA Unwraps New Drone Rules

RedbrRedbr Website User Posts: 1

NEW YORK, Dec. 22, 2015 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- FAA unwraps drone rules for the holidays. Fearing as many as a million new drones might land under Christmas trees this year.FAA has announced a new regulation on drones. The Obama administration announced that all units weighing between 0.55 pounds and 50 pounds must be registered by February 19th, 2016. Anyone against this rule and caught flying will face still penalties and be even in jail for years.

DJI's latest drone- Phantom 3 has faced an crisis because it's overweight. FAA has bitterly confounded DJI's ambition. The cold winner for DJI is coming. Currently DJI has held 60% market share in the U.S. FAA adds up to a one - two punch that would stagger DJI.

FAA's new regulation will be effective on Dec. 21st and almost covers all the consumer drone on the market. All the drones weighing between 0.55 lbs and 50 lbs must be registered on FAA's official website. It's a nightmare for most of the drones like DJI. FAA offers unique registration number to approved submitters and those drone owners are required to paste or paint their own numbers on their drone.

FAA has the 0.55 pounds regulation because administration thought it's the bottleneck that drone companies would not breakthrough. To make a drone weighting under 226g is nearly possible.

But Onagofly surprised us with advanced drone technology from China. The Intelligent Onagofly drone is not only featured by its sophisticated performance moreover Onagofly has lowered its weight to the crazy 140g-nearly 0.3 lbs.

In this case FAA's newest regulation become invalid to Onagofly at the first moment it's coming out. 

Onagofly is the most popular drone crowdfunding project since the day it launched on Indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/onagofly-the-smart-nano-drone--2

Offical Website:  www.onagofly.com

Media Contact: Sam Tsu, Onagofly, 86-755-83284880, [email protected]

News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com

Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20151221/317547

SOURCE Onagofly

Related Links

Comments

• SarasotaSarasota Website User Posts: 272
    edited August 2016
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,227 Ambassador

I gotta go with the FAA on this. In the last year here's some of what I've seen. 

A driver at Speedway had a buddy bring his drones to shoot the races. Pilot flew drone in light grid and took out a thousand dollar light. The drone crashed on the track and caused a six-cycle crash. One driver was taken off in an ambulance. 

A four alarm brush fire a quarter mile from my house almost spun out of control because drones were in the flight paths of the planes dumping water. 

A wedding videographer who swooped his drone into the  bride's face. Wedding dresses should NOT have bloodstains, and the drone had to be cut from her hair. 

Those are just the three I personally witnessed. 

There are many logged incidents of drones flying in airport flight paths or just hanging around house's bedroom windows. 

In short, a bunch of idiots who don't understand what and what not to do with a drone ruined it for the rest. 

$20 registration is cheap... Think about the cost of processing and storing registration numbers, cutting decals, mailing decals... The registration number is so when some idiot does something stupid and DANGEROUS with a drone (like flying around an indoor arena over a race, hospitalizing a driver) the FAA knows who to prosecute. 

And I am fine with that. It doesn't mean you can't fly, it just means the pilot might put more thought into safety 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

@Redbr thanks for the info on the Onagofly, but the official video that's only just been put out looks very disappointing.  It's no better than many cheap toy drones now on the market, with no stabilization and is washed out and flickery. The features, weight, size and price are all good, but it needs something like the Parrot Bebop Digital Image Stabilization to compete, which will push the price up.

@Sarasota Someone's already suing the FAA, as model aircraft are way outside their remit, however much they try and convince anyone that a paper dart is exactly the same as a 747 as far as they are concerned (Seriously, someone got a 333 commercial exemption for one).  The number of 'near misses' and signings by pilots in the US (the figures that the FAA used to push their non-law through) have been thoroughly debunked down from hundreds to single digits.

edited August 2016

@Sarasota Yup, Here's the link: http://dronelaw.com/2015/08/27/faa-grants-section-333-exemption-for-paper-airplane/

I think he did it for 'a laugh', but what he actually did was bolster the FAA's position that they are responsible for such things...which they aren't.

edited August 2016
  • dagafferdagaffer Website User Posts: 58

This will be a nightmare for the FAA try to keep track of drones, heck the government can't keep track of handguns. and no one thinks of them as toys.

I sold it, I traded it, crashed it and I tossed it out and someone rebuilt it from the trash. hell most do not have a serial number if I don't put a FAA tail number on it you try to track it!

PS. I have registered mine.

edited August 2016
    edited January 2016

They did a study that calculated the damage done when dropping "a weight" from a specified height. They ignored, friction, drag and calculated it from the maximum height allowable for an RC aircraft as if it was a lump of lead. They ended up with a risk threshold that was tens of thousands of times higher than they require for full sized aircraft, So they ignored that and set the weight threshold for registration at 250g anyway. 

Damage from the following crash?  The person it hit was slightly winded. Nothing else.

edited August 2016
  • dagafferdagaffer Website User Posts: 58

Most drones don't weigh enough to hurt anyone but the propellers spinning at 300 to 1500 rpm is the primary concern  about injury. collision in flight is only a factor if  it gets sucked into a jet engine or if  the weight or material of the UAV would cause prop or wind shield damage to a standard aircraft.

edited August 2016