Emitter particle system questions

1) Apparently you can't directly use a 3d model as the source layer. I assume you'd have to make a composite shot first, then use that as the source layer.
2) I used a green screen shot as the source layer, but adding the chroma key to it didn't carry over to the particle system. I had to create a composite shot first, add the chroma key there, then use that composite shot as the source layer.

Comments

• dsnell0417dsnell0417 Website User Posts: 74
    And yet a 3rd question:
    3) pertaining to the green screen sequence from 2), let's say I wanted to loop 30 frames from it, starting at frame 200, but I wanted to have it randomly pick the starting frame for each particle from frame 200 to frame 229. Any way to do that?
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Well, your first two points are no questions but observations... :P Well they are what you should see, as the program is designed to work that way.
    1: If you could use 3D layers for the particle source layer, it would need additional info about from which angle to view it in conjunction with what other layer? The particles are in fact 2D planes, so assigning a 3D layer there would cause quite some trouble. Your workaround is correct.
    2: That's because if you choose a layer for the source layer in any control panel drop-down menu, this will always take the original layer, before any masks or effects are applied. So again you did the correct thing, apply all masks and effects inside a composite shot and then use that composite shot as the source layer.
    Not sure about 3) though, not in the position to check that right now. I'll check when I am ;)
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Okay I've checked your third point... Seems like there is no way to do that yet, sadly. Can't think of a workaround either... :mellow:
  • dsnell0417dsnell0417 Website User Posts: 74
    Thanks for the update. It's not a major concern, it would be nice, as you said.