HF2U - Media Files Stop Loading after apprx 20 files

I am editing a string of HD videos in HF2U taken with my Canon 650D. File format is .MOV and the codec is h264. Vids are 1920 x 1080 / 25FPS. The problem i am having is that i cannot import more than about 20 files into the project media pane. When i try and import more than 20 files HF tries to load them but gets stuck. The files show up as "loading" but they seem to get stuck in an infinate loop that eventually ends with me having to close out the program through windows Task Manager.
Hardware specs are as follows:
ASUS G75VW
Intel Core i7 -3610QM ,2.3GHZ
RAM 16GB
GEFORCE GTX 670M / 3GB - latest drivers updated
Sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm pretty new to this technology
Cheers
Phil

Comments

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    I started a new project with HF2U, then tried to import about 30 videos at once from my Canon 7D. The first 20 loaded as expected, but the rest did not, and showed up as 'loading' also, so it's not just you.
    Richard.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Thanks for reporting this, we will look into it straight away. Does it make a difference whether you import the files all at once, or in smaller groups? Is the issue with the total number of files imported, regardless of how they are imported, or is it with trying to import large numbers of files in one go?
    For me, the first time I imported 30 at once, and it failed to load more than 20. The second time I tried it, I imported 19 with no problem, then imported one at a time from there. The 20th imported with no problem. The 21st didn't have a thumbnail or video, but seemed to have sound. After that, they didn't load at all, so it seems to be something to do when you hit 20ish, regardless of how they are imported.
    I have not tried this other video types, just canon .MOV files.
    Not sure how much this matches the OP experience, but it sounds close.
    Richad.
    FYI, just for fun I just tried to import 115 random .MP4 files (some export from HF2U and some from Vegas) and it worked just fine, so it seems the problem is either with .MOV files or maybe just Canon .MOV files.
    I don't have any non-Canon .MOV files laying to test with.
    Richad.
  • HitFilmer213312HitFilmer213312 Website User Posts: 6
    FYI, yesterday i changed the codec on the 135 files the the imtermediate (Avid DNxHD) and attempted this again. This time the import stopped at 74 files. I then tried to import then in groups of 9 files but the process stopped again at the exact same place of 74 files.
    A little more info. If I start a new project, then import 20 .MOV files from my Canon, then hit CTRL-Z to remove them, then try to import 5 more .MOV's, I get the same thing as if I still had the other 20 still loaded. Looks like some resource is not being released.
    BTW, if you need some .MOV files that cause this, I can provide you with a zip file that has bunch of 1-2 second .MOV files from my Canon that do show this problem.
    Richard.
  • HitFilmer213312HitFilmer213312 Website User Posts: 6
    The same thing happened with me. FYI i escalated the issue to Support, Ady is looking after it. He was able to replicate the problem also. He has sent the issue over to the software development team to try and fix the bug.
  • AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,436 Staff

A little more info. If I start a new project, then import 20 .MOV files from my Canon, then hit CTRL-Z to remove them, then try to import 5 more .MOV's, I get the same thing as if I still had the other 20 still loaded. Looks like some resource is not being released.
    BTW, if you need some .MOV files that cause this, I can provide you with a zip file that has bunch of 1-2 second .MOV files from my Canon that do show this problem.
    Richard.
    Hi Richard,
    If you could provide the files that would be great, I'll PM you an address where they can be sent.
    Thanks for your help on this.
    Ady

The same thing happened with me. FYI i escalated the issue to Support, Ady is looking after it. He was able to replicate the problem also. He has sent the issue over to the software development team to try and fix the bug.
    Hi Phil,
    Thanks for updating this thread, good to keep you all in the loop.
    Also thanks to you all for your patience & understanding.
    Kind Regards
    Ady
  • Dan_DanDan_Dan Website User Posts: 1
    Has this issue been resolved? I've having the same issue using HF2E.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    The issue has to do with the fact that Quicktime on the Windows platform is a 32-bit application, and thus can only access a very limited amount of your system RAM.  When you use files in a codec such as H.264, which isn't designed for editing and requires massive amounts of RAM to decode, you can max out your system resources pretty quickly.
    Converting your files to a different codec such as Avid DNxHD is the best approach.  Alternately, you can change the .mov file extension to .mp4, and simply renaming the files in this way will bypass Quicktime.  This is the fastest solution, but sacrifices performance and quality, in comparison to converting the files to a proper editing format.
This discussion has been closed.