Making particles squirt like paint in Epic Mickey Video Game

emmo5611emmo5611 Website User Posts: 71 Enthusiast
Does anyone know of a tutorial or would be good enough to explain to me how to make particles look like paint squirting out of a paint brush onto a door then splash away as paint would like do.
I am making a short movie with my 6 year old who is obsessed with Epic Mickey and I was hoping someone could help me.

I have a shot that is over his shoulder as he shoots the paint from his paint brush onto the door.
Any help would be greatly appreciated by a 6 year old and his dad.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    In my experience paint doesn't fire out of paint brushes, although this sounds like something I should start to prepare myself for given I now have a 10 week-old-son. :P
    Do you have a video you can link to showing what happens in-game for reference? I've not played the game so it's difficult to visualise exactly what needs to happen.
  • emmo5611emmo5611 Website User Posts: 71 Enthusiast
    Simon,
    Here is a youtube link to for Epic Mickey. It may give you a suggestion on what I am trying to do.

Let me know what you think.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    There's a few separate effects going on there that I can see.
    1. The paint particles, which occasionally impact and 'stick' on a surface. This can be done with the particle simulator in HitFilm.
    2. Occasionally when the point hits and object, it transforms it from one thing into another. In the game they appear to do this simply by switching from one texture to another, with the glowy green/blue shimmer effect to cover the change. Depending on the surface in HitFilm, you could probably do this with simple mask wipes. Even with 3D objects that should work to some degree.