Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

1717273747577Β»

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,932 Ambassador
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,169 Expert

Just got "scrambling distance" working in my experimental Dev build of Filmer with Cycles-x... first steps yo... first steps. Oh but I had to get Optix support working first... that took like... two days to get working. Rendering speed up is pimp.πŸ˜€

Now to build the program and test out some math tweaks. πŸ˜ƒ

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,169 Expert

Experimenting with getting my code ported over to Cycles-x. Nothing too, too crazy yet but damn!.. changes are just changes I suppose. πŸ˜€

Got my Hitfilm obj exporter working in an experimental Filmer/Blender build. It was gnarly to get working.

Also got Cuda and Optix support working... also pretty gnarly to get working.

My custom Modifiers and Shaders should be pretty easy too.

• spydurhank

Ha!

Oh the hilarity...

What the Frell dude... what in the actual Frell. today's source code changes in Blender broke my obj exporter. Had to re-write the damned thing and just got it working. Tracked it down to something silly... damned silly. 😁

Soon... very very soon I'm gonna be as fast at coding as I am at illustration and painting.πŸ˜€

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,932 Ambassador
  • spydurhank

Building stuff for my entry to the Halloween competition. Using my latest Filmer/Blender development demo with Cycles-x.πŸ˜€

• spydurhank
  • spydurhank

Gave myself 20 minutes to work on this because I randomly woke up a little while ago and made some coffee. Yeah I'm going back to bed, too drowsy. 😴

I felt like I was not gonna stop but I made myself stop. It's really hard to stop something that you love but I kinda love sleeping too. Hmm... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• spydurhank
    edited October 4

Some more stuff.

Unwrapped and and first roughness map iteration is painted. How long did the unwrap take?... I have no idea, I zoned out when I started, I blinked and then I was done... I know it's later in the day.

Did I just "Sleep UV Unwrap"? A little known cousin of "Sleep Walking" and just adjacent of "Drunk Sleep Cooking"

The struggle of Drunk Sleep Cooking is real. You come home from the Bar, pass out, then suddenly you wake sitting up on your couch wearing nothing but your boxers and there's a very hot plate of food on your lap. The struggle is real ya'll. Oh wait, I don't drink anymore. πŸ˜€

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 474 Enthusiast

Awesomesauce! Can't wait to see Picasso's work of art.

• spydurhank

Playing with a free base skull for a nasty shader.

The Skulls will either be hanging off the the Tardis or they'll make up the surface of my Nightmare Time Vortex

Wow I thought that I just posted this, ugh... my brain is backfiring. I'm confusing having thought of doing something and actually having done it... wow. 🀣

Hey thanks @FlyingBanana78 I appreciate that very much. I probably won't use SSS on the Skull but you never know.

I did just find these cheap models on Sketchfab that I can tweak and retexture but they sure are cheap looking. Gonna have to do some shading magic if I decide to use em'.

This first one aint too bad and the animation is great and creepy, could use some minor tinkering. The last two are just really cheesy looking and the animations are really low bar. I'll see if I can pimp em' out though and do something about the animations.

• Triem23

That "Crying Head 2" is a nice design. If you subdivide it and add some detail, repaint the textures in 8k and you'll have something really creepy!

• spydurhank

This is the only model that is pretty okay, does need to be retextured though. The Normals are mangled for the other two models. Haven't decided whether I'll use it or not but maybe... maybe it'll stand a chance. The normals weren't too bad for this model and I managed to fix em but it looks weird as the bones warp the mesh during playback... yeah... maybe... just maybe. I'm more interested in finishing the inner environment for the Time Vortex... it's gonna be huge.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,591 Enthusiast

Looking forward to the "master piece" Frank πŸ‘οΈ

• spydurhank

Thanks Greg @GrayMotion,

Been sculpting detail onto that Sketchfab model above for a little bit this morning. The sculpting, was done in today's Dev Filmer build so I was really just testing things out. I didn't even save the work... no need to, I'm too fast.

Here's that model again.

And here I'm just messing around with different sculpt brushes so each iteration looks a bit different.

• spydurhank

Just finished retopo for this free 3D model on Gumroad, you can toss the artist a few bucks.

Quick and lazy textures, I'll use this model in my entry to the Halloween competition.

• spydurhank
    edited October 9

Soon...

Go ahead... ask me if I made Cycles-x faster?

Simplified the Step Samples Render settings. The extra options expand when you click the buttons with the Filmer logo. Got Scrambling Distance working again but I'm also about to re-code another handful of mathematical pixel shifting algorithms that do some amazing things with image detail when rendering and temporal denoising with really low samples. Crazy stuff. πŸ˜€ Oh and got Optix and Cuda GPUs working again too. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• spydurhank

A bit more testing

This one is using the default resolution of 960 x 540 at 1,225 render samples, took 7 seconds

This one is using a resolution of 8,264 x 2,553, at 1 render samples, took 5-ish seconds. oh yeah. πŸ˜€

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,058 Moderator
    edited October 11

@spydurhank Thanks for posting these times! It reminded me I have Filmer and don't give it much love. Currently trying to do a project for a guy in India (there's a twist for you; India outsourcing to the US🀣) and no matter what I was doing I could not get the frame time even remotely acceptable...I'm talking like 24 days to render 2880 frames. Can't figure out the drain either. It's just a particle system of alpha planes of clouds and 4 measly volume clouds... Anyway, I tried it K Cycles and and it was the same long ass times. Loaded it into Filmer today, and without making a tom of changes (just a few to lower the alpha passes which didn't help in regular Blender,) Filmer is going at about 2-4 minutes per frame and I anticipate about 4 days so a reduction to 1/6th. I hope I don't forget I have it again until after I have exhausted myself with other avenues. Thanks, dude.

• spydurhank

Temp, thanks Terry, I'll check back with you after a while, I'm into something myself right now. Thanks again. πŸ˜€