Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,151 Expert

Strange Sculpture. πŸ˜‰

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 472 Enthusiast

Strange yet familiar. Just can't put my finger on it. ;) love a good depth of field look. Would be a pretty neat 3d print abstract piece.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,020 Moderator

@spydurhank Yikes! That looks so real! Good job.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,268 Ambassador

@spydurhank Awesome render, Frank!

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,151 Expert
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador

Looks amazing!

Think it needs an Enterprise-D to finish it off. πŸ˜‰

• spydurhank

Oh man, that takes me back in time. Love that show. Court and I watched the series on Netflix. Cool to see all the Adults funnin' and jokin' around during the show.

I haven't built an Enterprise D yet, but I have a completed Pike's Enterprise and an almost completed Discovery from the first season. πŸ˜€

• spydurhank

Dropping in for one last goodbye.

Have a great day and good luck to you all. πŸ˜€

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,584 Enthusiast

You off to other adventures Frank?

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 472 Enthusiast

"One last goodbye" That don't sound too peachy. πŸ˜• hope everything is ok man.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,268 Ambassador

@spydurhank This seems a little sudden. What's the scoop? Something going on in the background we don't know about?

• spydurhank

Hey, no, no big deal really.

I'm not gonna be a Beta tester, moderator, ambassador anymore. They've told me and shown me that I'm not wanted here so I'm outta whatever that so called inner circle was. Just gonna be a regular old user here mindin' his own business and bein' the best artist that I can be.

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,085 Staff

@spydurhank I do want to jump in here for the benefit of your fans who follow this excellent thread to reiterate that we absolutely love to have you and your fantastic work on the forums and as an ambassador and moderator. Hopefully, we can chat in detail about this in my message to you - but ultimately I know that if you do decide not to be an ambassador in the future, you'll still continue to be your best artist self.

• spydurhank

Here's a tip for Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone... you wanna confuse me easily?.. simply lie to me.

You know... tell me one thing but then say that you meant something else... oh yeah... I'll be confused right away... no problem because I have this nagging habit of being a very literal person so I take you at you word.

Gonna go to sleep now... I'll be dreaming of people giving me straight and honest answers. When I wake up I'll be in a world where people keep their word and are nice to me... watch... it'll happen. πŸ˜€

I mean dang dude... I'm brain damaged and have always thought it was my fault that I don't understand people,

Na dude... come to find out... all these years... people simply aint saying what they actually mean... how crazy is that?

How do you even begin to learn how to navigate around people like that? Who can teach me how to decipher what the heck people are really saying?

hmmm... trying to decipher what people are saying is very distracting from Art... conundrum.

I dunno, I just gotta figure out how to figure people out I guess?

Hey Greg @GrayMotion yeah dude, we talked for like 6 hours. Sorry they passed you over again for the Beta tester program... been trying to get you in for years. I thought that I'd finally got you in just a few days ago but dang... I should've known that I didn't have enough pull at the club to get you into the Green Room. Sorry dude. πŸ˜”

C'mon dude... go to sleep and wake up in a world where people say exactly what they mean and Greg is a Beta tester

• spydurhank

Wait, wait, wait... Wesley Crusher has a tv show!!! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy didn't anyone ever tell me! πŸ˜€

• spydurhank
    edited July 30

A little something I'm working on while for a bit while takin' a break from everything else. Little baby pic of me and my sibs in a 3D Art scene. Love that Glass jar holding the paint brushes. πŸ˜€

Forgot a look dev view showing the geo, while watching Star Trek stuff on the Tube. πŸ˜€

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador

Love the dirt smudges and paint on the frame glass.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,020 Moderator

@spydurhank That render looks so photo-like! The lighting and DOF are incredible.

• Stargazer54

@spydurhank Thanks for posting the Wil Wheaton Ready Room clip from Sept. 2020. Hadn't seen that one. What amazing stories George Takei offered up. I knew about the internment camp but the "taking fencing lessons" story was new one for me. You have to hand it to Rod as he sat patiently and let George talk.

Nice render (as always) BTW. :)

• spydurhank

Thanks @Stargazer54 ,

yeah I found that channel by accident, love all the cool Star Trek stuff that goes all the way back to the beginning. Right after that, I found a podcast with Harry Kim and Tom Paris from Voyager called Delta Flyers. Those guys are hilarious.

• spydurhank

Hey Greg @GrayMotion,

Have you seen this iClone Blender addon? I just saw it... probably been out for a little while though. Pretty cool. πŸ˜€

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,584 Enthusiast
    edited August 1

Oh yes. The CC3 importer . Awesome plug-in. You should try it with the character that I gave you and check it out for yourself. The character I gave you has advanced skin gen materials , advanced hair and 4K texture maps for clothing. Looks pretty darn good.

Maybe we do a (less than 6 hour) chat and play around with a few ideas today? Skype will be up all day.

btw - the last 6 hour session we did the other day….my wife called me Wilma. You know …Betty and Wilma from the Flintstones? It’s her way of saying that yours and my conversation was like two women on a gab marathon. She’s trying to be funny….πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Oh…I put up a new WIP version on my YT zone. Did you see it?

One last oh…..ask @CourtneyP how her ADA is doing

• spydurhank
    edited August 5

I was a few months old back in '72, the first time I saw my three older sisters watching Dr. Who late at night on PBS.

Never new what the show was about and I obviously didn't understand it being only a few months old. But I remember the Tardis and the weird electronic Dalek's voices. Strange show, didn't hear from it again till around 2008... still a strange show... πŸ™„

Anyway, I built this Tardis a while back as a quick 5 minute modelling exercise. Pulled it out this morning and added 3D Text, Curves(logo), door handles and a little Lamp thing up top.

I'm building the most realistic Tardis out there. There's gonna be screws, nails, splinters, chipped paint, and all kinds of other real world looking stuff. Real up close to the camera type stuff.

I put it in a well lit Daylight scene so that everything is visible and I can confirm consistency.

I cranked up the Displacement for visual reference of the wood grain but I'll definitely turn it way down for texture baking and the Tardis roof because it's way too strong. Still need to tweak the wood textures, then I'll actually do the Blue paint job and a few other really cool things.

I'm really diggin' the Caustic light from the Lamp and the Caustic Shadows from the Sun. πŸ˜€

EDIT:

Forgot the reff and wireframe.

• Triem23

Five minutes? *Hangs head in shame."

Looks amazing. Will look more amazing when its done.

To be slightly nitpicky I think you are using photos of two different physical props as reference. Fine if you're doing an "idealized" design, but if you're aiming at recreating a specific Doctor/prop you'll end up a little off. The TARDIS I built last year was very specific season 1 (1963) version - which is all about the angle of the roof and the top lamp (never was able to find high res images of that lamp).

Finding high res reference of all the props is hard, but here's a couple of sites listing off differences between props.

And, if you poke around online you can find specific blueprints for at least three of the props (1963, 1973, 2005). Next time I'm on my PC I'll grab the blueprints I have and shoot them over to you. Armed with the actual measurements I have no doubt you can not only attain your goal of the most realistic materials/details, but with perfect proportions.

• spydurhank

That makes sense that someone would have actual blueprints. If there are actual closeups somewhere to the actual tv show props of the Tardis, that'd be cool too.

Yeah I just used the reff pics to eyeball the modelling. It's made out of a Cube, a Cylinder, a Curve svg for the door logo, and 2 Text objects.

I'm gonna make one that is painted clean, where you can't see the wood grain and then a different one that is beat up and worn from the passage of time.

I don't know if the actual Tardis is built with regular old Nails but I feel like I really want to add little whatchamacallits and knickknacks.

I see a lot of really good Tardis wips on Twitter and wanted to try my hand at it. Really I just want to build one so I can put it in a Race with other Time Travel, Si Fi stuff. It's gonna be cool. πŸ˜€

• NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 727 Ambassador

Nice one man! here's some close reference shots, this Police Box is tardis f-14-17 and you're right it doesn't have the wood grain! it's mostly thick painted ply with MDF.

Matt Smiths box is the one with the light grain, Jobies box pretty much has wood planks for most of the build and is painted with a thick mix of two metalic paints, it's roughly painted with each coat consisting of two colors each time hence the color change on different sets/ environment conditions.

• NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 727 Ambassador
    edited August 5

It's subtle but that should give some nice details :)

• spydurhank

Thanks for those pics @NXVisualStudio,

I haven't watched the show since it was filmed in Black and White, back in the day. I didn't know the Tardis was a full on prop. I always thought that it was a tiny little model built to scale or something... nope, these guys built the whole thing.

I really like the reflective Marquee up top. It looks awesome in the pics you posted. Keeping that part for sure. The letters are gonna look cool all lit up and stuff and the Caustics thrown by the Marquee are gonna be nice.

I'm not diggin' the white window frame so much so I'm gonna make it a wooden frame or a metal frame. The White window frame looks like really brittle plastic. I've got all these different cool surfaces laying around the house that I can use as reference to make something cool for the window frame material. I'm in Florida so there's wood all over the place and a Home Depot on every corner. I'll have to do that later because the Sun is down and I want to see things in full daylight.

I want to make the Tardis look like it was sanded by a real wood worker and painted by a Pro painter. So far all of the Tardis models that I've seen look like the wood is very aged and was never sanded and simply painted on loosely and freely with a regular ole paint brush.

Is there anywhere online where I can find out what actual materials were used to build the Tardis? Like, what kind of nails, wood and glass?

• Triem23

Frank, the articles I linked above have some of the build information you're asking for. Some of the builds are wood/plywood, others fiberglass.

Ironically a real police box was poured concrete. The TARDIS prop is wood because the BBC had no money. Some of the actual painting is really janky.

Look through the articles at the varied props. You'll see a real amount of variation in colors and trim. Post 2005 TARDIS props have the light up windows and sign. Some Props (like the Capaldi Prop) have white frames. Others (like the Jodie Whittaker prop) do the frames in blue.

If you look at the existing props and decide your favorite, at that point you can really start nailing down the types of materials you'll have to replicate. Some TARDIS shells are pretty clean, smooth and finished looking, some look really beaten up - like the Pertwee prop, which was a minor refurbish of the 1965 TARDIS. By the time it gets to Pertwee, some of the sections have been beaten up over ten years of production and are really weathered.

The one I built was based off the First Doctor's prop. I was going to update that for the next two props with new roofs, lamps and paint, but my base wood normal maps were altered so the first one would be pretty smooth and the third would have deeper texture to simulate the same wood getting more ages and weathered.

The basic build is a box and you can do that in minutes, but it's all the fiddly little details that really make a TARDIS shine. Flawed as my own build is, it's actually better than most of the TARDIS models available for download, cuz I got really specific on the proportions, colors and details.