Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

@Andersen01498 I think @spydurhank wrote his own Boolean operators.

I note Booleans can totally generate wonky geometry, but much of this can be mitigated by planning the geometry of the the interacting objects carefully. Simple example - let's subtract a Sphere from a Cube...

Now, if I use a basic 8-vertex, 12-poly (tris) cube I'm gonna get really ugly geometry. If I've subdivided that cube (and committed that subdivide to geometry) a couple of times I'll get a cleaner Boolean as there's more existing vertices to modify. If I plan my sphere out so it's segment more or less line up with the vertices of the subdivided cube, the Boolean should work nicely.

I'm sure Frank - who's quite good at his art - gets cleaner results both from optimizing his own code (so knowing exactly how it works) and by taking the time to optimize the geometry of his operators for cleaner modifications. Look at how clean his wireframe came out!

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,017 Ambassador

@Andersen01498 , Ah I've gotcha.

Yeah workin' with Booleans and such... that boils down to common sense and proper technique, and if you really want to learn it... you need to be teachable. It is actually really easy and easy is how I teach things. If you ever need help in a "Right Now!!!" type situation... all you've gotta do is ask and we'll set up a one on one. :) :)

@Triem23 , ah, you're partly correct about the extra geometry on the Cube but you're missing a bunch of steps, scenarios, and best practices as to when, if and or how the extra geo should be generated. Most important thing is to know if or when you need to do it. Like, if your modelling skills aint up to par... then you're definitely gonna have to Triangulate to cover up the modelling flaws that appear from poor techniques and you're definitely gonna need way more geometry so that the Triangle faces even have a hope of holding their shape and shading. Toss in Ngons and you're asking for trouble because reading a User Manual or a Wikipedia on Booleans and Ngons aint gonna help you very much. You need to actually learn how to do it and be able to provide examples because it is actually in the "Doing" that you learn proper technique. The problem... aint nobody out there teaching proper technique... till now. :)

This type of knowledge is best explained with real video examples and not talking with a long wall of text. Court and I are working on those so working with Booleans Ngons, Quads and Triangles is gonna be one of my first videos along with some other cool stuff this week. :)

On another note... hey @Stargazer54 , I've been meaning to ask you for a very long while but something always comes up. I was wondering if you'd like to help me by BETA testing Filmer? I've got 5 BETA testers on this Forum which you already know. I also have a few other Beta testers elsewhere in other VFX related Forums but some of them have been actin' kinda Sketchy and Shady these past two years.

If you're interested, it means that I'll help you in any way that I can which in my case... all I have to offer is knowledge and proper artistic technique with an open mind and no bias.

As you know, I'm in the proccess of recovering from Brain damage and I'm at the point where some of these guys that are BETA testing Filmer for me are becoming very, and pretty obviously toxic to my well being and they're not Squeamish about it. All I want to do is create art and make a bunch of money so that I can keep creating art and these guys just keep stepping on my toes to trip me up... so yeah... they've gotta go because I'm done. They seem to have missed the point where this is a partnership.

But yeah, anyway, I've always appreciated your art and I'm impressed by how it has evolved throughout the years, it would be very amazing to have you aboard on what I'm now calling "Project Filmer". Honestly... it'd really and simply feel good to have one more person on my corner like say @tddavis and @GrayMotion who've just about single handedly kept Filmer alive these past two years. Single handedly... for real. :) So yeah, please do let me know if you're interested, I'm also placing an open call for Filmer Beta testers in an upcoming video very soon.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,285 Ambassador

@spydurhank oh, yeah, totally oversimplified my example. Figure you know better and could raise more points - which you did.

Why the heck would people on other forums screw you over? You've put a lot of work into enhancing and optimization of the Blender code, which is awesome! What's wrong with people? Sigh.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 446 Enthusiast

If I ever get a new rig I'd be willing to jump back in beta testing but just the laptop testing with the newer builds however isn't able to hang with requirements. And a new rig is dependent on once the 30 series gpu's calm down and you don't need to sell a kidney to snag one. The desktop is having issues with hitfilm and what I would want to create between flmer to hitfilm.

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,003 Enthusiast

@spydurhank really appreciate that offer....I will keep it in mid for the future sometime! That also is very sad that you have some shady beta testers :(. If you want one, I am always here. Even tho I don't use Blender :). More of a Maya/3ds max type of person.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,091 Ambassador
    edited March 26

@spydurhank Sure, I would be more than happy to assist as a Beta tester. However, my Blender knowledge is very elemental that this point. But since I have retirement right around the corner that is one thing I would like to spend more time learning - so Filmer fits right in there. However, I probably won't be anywhere close to "up to speed" to be much help until later in the year.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,017 Ambassador

I'll talk more about that other stuff later and thanks @Andersen01498 and @Stargazer54 . I appreciate it very much. :)

For now... just Art. :)

My little Shader Totem with the new Hitfilm logo on one side and my logo on the other side. It needs a base. Made with my new Modifiers along with Booleans, Quads and Triangles. Triangles are converted to Quads for proper deformations and Boolean Ops. :) Shading is also proper in Hitfilm after export. :)

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,683 Moderator

Looking so real in the hdri locale. πŸ‘

• spydurhank

Oh this is nothing @tddavis , wait till you see it in Hitfilm. :)

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,091 Ambassador

Wicked render Frank! Doesn't look like a gear shifter knob anymore. Looks like a spaceship from another dimension.

• Triem23

It's beeeyooootiiiful!

• spydurhank
  • spydurhank

Latest video covering Hitfilm's Specular Gloss and Metallic Roughness shaders. I'm using Hitfilm before the update a few days ago, which you can tell by looking at the Hitfilm application Logo. :)

Basically it was suggested in the 2nd video below that the new Hitfilm Shaders are too new, maybe incomplete or outdated, and maybe they'll work in Hitfilm Pro 17, so just don't use them in the meantime.

Just so that we give out correct information because that is what is important... :) I cover only what was missed and misunderstood in the 2nd video because the new Shaders actually, and in fact do work.

As Hitfilm Beta Testers and Ambassadors, we need to make sure our teaching and information is accurate and not a guesse-timate due to inexperience. :)

• spydurhank
  • GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,507 Enthusiast

Holy Frank.... that is incredibly kool my friend! You're defiantly an awesome modeler - man. Dude...I'm really at a loss for words...kool doesn't even do it justice at all. You ROCK! πŸ‘

• Triem23

That looks awesome!

• spydurhank

Aha just built me a new Filmer 3.0.0 Alpha a little while ago while watching some Star Trek stuff. :)

Looking good to upload from current testing, everything is working so far so this may be uploaded in a little while. :)

I managed to squeeze some more juice into my Hitfilm Cycles render engine so we've got about another 20% to 40% render speed increase. :)

Maybe... could be... the coolest feature that I've added so far... Floating utility windows with no 3rd party software or addons needed. This is built directly into the Filmer UI. You can create and save floating windows in a startup file and Filmer will load them on next startup. Pretty cool for tutorials and dual or more monitors. Oh and the Windows always stay on top of everything else and each other. You only need to hover over one of the Floating Utility Windows and it becomes active. Soooooooooooooooooooooooo stoked. :)

@tddavis , I take back what I said in the other thread, where you referred to me as a coding Wizard and I said that I wasn't... perhaps I am a coding Wizard... hmmm... perhaps... ;) :)

Thought it was gonna be hard... :(

Wasn't... :) :) :)

That's what she said. :)

:) :) :)

• tddavis

@spydurhank They make little blue pills for that!😜 Have there been Filmer uploads since 8-6-2020? Or am I looking in the wrong place for them?

• spydurhank

@tddavis

Na, you're in the correct place and I haven't uploaded a new build since 8-6-20.

Been trying to get this old feature called "Light Groups" working in the 2.90.0 dev builds for a while. Light groups were working in a few of the Filmer 2.83.0 dev builds but it promptly and easily broke in the 2.90.0 series. I really want to get it working again because... I really want everyone to try it. You can literally pull more detail in your renders when compositing with Light Groups. It is awesome... for real. :)

I'm just doing some final tests and I'll upload it for you guys in a bit. I'll post here but I'll also send an email just in case. :)

• tddavis

Cool, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious... very easy for me to do.

• spydurhank

Just released Filmer 3.0.0 ALPHA over on my website. Filmer v3.0.0 4-18-21 | owmycgi

Updated install video. Beginning Filmer | owmycgi or you can watch it below. More tuts on all of my other tools are on the way.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 446 Enthusiast

Awesome as usual! Once my new desktop arrives I will be sure to get back into it. Looks like lot of awesome updates from when I was running Filmer, and the desktop will utilize all that Filmer has to offer and not want to meltdown on me like the laptop kept threatening me to do lol.

• tddavis

@spydurhank Great! Thanks for the post. Been running recovery software on an SD card that bumped whilst writing to it and it made it unformatted??? Its been going over a week this past Friday but so very close to done. Ill snag the newest when all that completes.😁

• spydurhank

@FlyingBanana78 ,

Awesome and thanks.πŸ˜€ Very cool that you're getting new gear. Stoked for you. 😊

@tddavis ,

Oh dang, it erased your stuff?

No worries, it'll be there waiting for you. 😊

• GrayMotion
    edited April 19

FYI- I got me a screen flicker with the Viewport Shading - Rendered view in Filmer. Flicker wont clean up.

Frank - Just Frank - AWEsome build man!

• spydurhank

Greg @GrayMotion For viewport rendering, make sure the Hitfilm Cycles Boost button is unticked.

• GrayMotion

Yep...that was easy

• spydurhank

Greg @GrayMotion ,

I'm gonna upload another build tomorrow morning. It's a little soon after just uploading one today but it will have a few regular Blender bug fixes and a few other tweaks to the Hitfilm Cycles render engine which will simplify using render samples.

• tddavis

@spydurhank I think I left you a message on your homepage. Not too sure if I knew what I was doing though😁

• spydurhank

Hey Terry @tddavis , yup just got it. You did it correctly. :)

I sent you instructions. Basically use your beta tester code at checkout. I re-sent it to you as well.

@GrayMotion ,

Forgot to mention, In tomorrows build... you won't have to untick the Hitfilm Cycles Boost button. I took care of it this morning. But yeah, there'll be another update tomorrow. :)