Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert

Just throwing my crazy schedule out there for planning purposes. 😄 Evenings any day of the week after say 6 pm are cool for me and any time Saturday and Sunday.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Posts: 500 Enthusiast

@spydurhank I am available pretty much same as @tddavis so whichever time is fine with me.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert

Just coded and tested a Command line Render option for Filmer. :)

It opens a seperate Blender instance with no gui so it's kinda fast, and leaves the current Filmer instance open so you can do... I dunno... other 3D stuff.

@Triem23 @tddavis @FilmSensei @GrayMotion @FlyingBanana78

I think a weekend would be alright but I can actually video chat any day, any time. :)

• Marshall2000_uk
    Marshall2000_uk Posts: 187 Enthusiast

Need to keep my eye on this, I've just started using Blender. Doing the Donut tutorial 😁. I'd read something about filmer and think it could come in handy in the future, if I ever learn the vast amount of things I need to learn in blender 😂 Looks very interesting.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Posts: 500 Enthusiast

@Marshall2000_uk yes, Filmer is very handy and not just for the Hitfilm side of things but just modeling and rendering in general.

@spydurhank I have done some command line rendering before and it does save a lot on the processing and memory usage, the little water fountain I did I couldn't even open it up in blender let alone even try the big F12 key on it. Did a command line render and it ran like a champ and I was still able to multitask while it was rendering

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,603 Ambassador

@Marshall2000_uk the great thing about Frank's build is it all works like regular old Blender. Other than a specific panel for some Hitfilm tools all Frank's changes additions and enhancements are wrapped in the standard interface. Learn Blender and there's a two minute learning curve for Filmer.

• Marshall2000_uk
    Marshall2000_uk Posts: 187 Enthusiast

@Triem23 Nice, it sounds great. Will defo look into once I've done a few Blender tutorials.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,622 Enthusiast

Frank... Skype is on all day today..give a ring if you want..

• spydurhank
    edited November 2020

Oh snap, Greg, @GrayMotion lemme get some mornin' grub and I'll give you a buzz in a little while.

Anyone else is also obviously welcome, just let me know. :)

@FlyingBanana78 , yeah the command line stuff is really, really cool. For some scenes I was getting just... just under 3 seconds per frame. This one scene has over 7 million + faces. It is pretty fast, not as fast as using a Linux machine but still pretty fast. :)

Thanks Mike @Triem23 . :)

@Marshall2000_uk ,

Blender is a stock Volkswagen beetle bug,..

Filmer is an X-43 on steroids and Psychedelics. :)

• tddavis

@spydurhank I would but on home school grandkid duty today and not at home.

• spydurhank

No worries Terry, we can do this anytime... it is just one of the coolest ways to make a phone call. :)

• spydurhank

Hey Greg @GrayMotion ,

57,630,144 million faces.., 8K 16bit exr textures, a little slow but still pretty good Viewport performance. :) Started getting sluggish around the 47-ish million mark. The Viewport only gets a little slow and never freezes or stalls. :)

Can't wait to get my hands on Hitfilm Pro 16

• tddavis

@spydurhank

We're going to need a bigger Deathstar... That's a lot of X-Wings!

• GrayMotion
    edited November 2020

How long did it take for the importer to load ? 5 minutes?

The terrain takes about that it seems (heavy heavy )🤪🤪

BTW - I got side tracked. The iPhone 12 Pro showed up yesterday. Now Camtrack AR and the Live Face and Motion Live plugin for Reallusion detoured me. Oh! and I see a new Motion Tracker posted here in the forums too.!! Funs (or heart-ache) is about to begin!! 👍

• spydurhank

Oh uh...

Hitfilm lagged forever when I tried to import that many faces and textures. I waited about 7 minutes for Hitfilm to import that many models in one go so I cancelled the import and then only imported one model and then duplicated it a bunch of times after placing it on the timeline.

The export from Filmer while using my new c++ obj exporter took around 2 minutes, it took 37 minutes using the built in Blender obj exporter. It was a ton of geometry though. :)

Shadow and reflection maps were set to 4096 and the 3D model texture maps were set to 8196. Things were pretty heavy but I could still navigate in the 3D viewport and add effects with only a tiny bit of lag.

• GrayMotion
    edited November 2020

Well then it looks like the exporter you coded will definitely be a plus when it comes to getting LARGE models out of Blender. Now the task for me is to work on reducing the size but keeping the quality of a large detailed mesh so that I can get it into Hitfilm👍

• spydurhank

@GrayMotion ,

I wanna try out you 16 million + terrain dude... that thing just looked awesome. :)

• spydurhank

Just showing off I guess. :)

• spydurhank

Well damn... I tell you what...

This is the last time anyone steals or copies my work with no blow back. Those that have done it on this and other forums are about to have a rude ass awakening.

You shouldn't steal from people period, but stealing from a dude with brain damage is just pretty damned shameful. :(

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,113 Expert

@spydurhank That's terrible! No one stole anything from here, right?

• NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Posts: 743 Ambassador

@spydurhank I know the feeling dude, I have a handful of people on YouTube that upload my content and claim it as their own 'Valox' is the worst culprit, what's this person taken from you?

• spydurhank

I'm outta here. :(

• NXVisualStudio

@spydurhank <3 if you need to talk we're here for you guy, I'm not working today so I can Skype/Discord.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,113 Expert

@spydurhank I'm sorry man. If you need anything, let me know.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,603 Ambassador

@FilmSensei @NXVisualStudio it "was me," and I think we have a misunderstanding here.

• NXVisualStudio
    edited November 2020

What ever it is I'm sure it wasn't meant the way it turned out, you know Mike's nature <3

Christ I was about to ask @FilmSensei for some socially distanced nunchucks!

• GrayMotion
    edited November 2020

I wanna try out you 16 million + terrain dude... that thing just looked awesome

Big Dog Frank:

<link removed by OP>

Also sent a link to your owmycgi.net

2048x1/2meter resolution (4096 res on 2k mesh) - I didn't send the textures but got them if you'd like

Verts: 16,777,025 Faces: 16,769,025 Tris: 33,538,050

I've never shared through my iCloud b4. Let me know if you have problems.

EDIT: It took about 5-6 minutes for Blender to import the terrain obj :-)

• spydurhank

Well, this escalated. I watched me a ton of TNG to give myself a "Turbo Lift"... heh, get it? :) I really needed it.

Hey I gotta say Mike, I sent you a private message about that other thread before I shut down my machine for a day or two.

I don't care what you do Mike... leave it up or take it down. I really don't care anymore, as in I'm not bothered by it. :)

I'm extremely frustrated but I do believe you're being sincere and meant no harm. I see your side, I really, really do but if you were trying to help me... damn dude... it feels like you really didn't. Let me rant a little and tell you that normally, I wouldn't even have responded to you in the other thread because I know that you wouldn't have done that if you had my perspective and saw what I see.

You caught me on a really bad day. I've been getting... lets call it "fan mail" on Twitter and other places, folks accusing me of stealing Josh's script... I never respond to these people but they keep calling me a copy cat and a few other words. Bullies... they're all bullies. :( Crap like that wears me down and my mind just feels all like "duuuh" as to where I can't remember anything. So yeah, I usually take a few days to reflect and just try to create art so I can focus again. I don't want you to feel bad, I know you were trying to help in your own way... and who knows... maybe you did?

Everybody knows that I've been maintaining my own script since 2013 when Mark Edwards disappeared so these people have some coof to call me a copy cat. That's why I nagged you guys for a video chat the other week so we could simply talk about how long I've been doing this. I wasn't gonna mention the bullies or give attention to them at all but I figured that if they saw our chat after posting, it would stop the "fan mail" pretty easily because they'd see it and be like... oh, this guy has been doing this forever and then be all like... my bad dude. :)

I'm still baffled and frustrated but here's my point of view...

In the other thread... you actually showed the OP of that thread how to steal someone else's code... are you aware of that? You told him he could go in and change a few lines and bam. Dude... anybody can do that to snake anybody's code...

My good brain says... Mike I love you but you're damned crazy. :)

My bad brain says... Mike I love you but damn boy.... what are you thinking? Are you on pain killers again? ;)

You see... why would a possible customer be interested in my software when people all around me are just snaking all or parts of my software and giving it out for free? Makes it hard to succeed.

As you've noticed... I've never been given an open mention but the guy that gives the same thing away for free gets all the credit and it really sucks for me and all the other people that have purchased Filmer and or supported development. It makes feel like... Why bother if people are just gonna keep stealing it.

An honest collaboration is in order and not all this bullshit that has been going on.

Bury your **** and get out of the way of a real artist. I just wanna go fast... give me the tools, support me and my art and get the hell out of the way so I can create the most awesome stuff you'll ever see.

Oh yeah, so during my "Turbo Lift", I made the video below with my damned awesome software Filmer and Hitfilm Pro 16 BETA.

Nothing short of pure awesomeness from the new shaders and if there is a mistake in a 3D asset... you'll see it right away. Watch when the camera gets close to the face mask, you should see a weird terminator effect.

Filmer + Hitfilm Pro 16 BETA Comp test_ 01a - YouTube

• spydurhank

@Triem23

Mike, just caught up with your DM here after seeing your message on Twitter, I didn't catch it last time, I'm posting the answer to your question here as well because you mentioned others in your question and I don't talk smack behind anyone's back. When I've got something to say, I'll say it to you. I'm also putting this here because of the bullying and accusatory twitter messages of me being a thief.

To answer your question, Josh's script does have some of my code. I've mentioned it several times here on my thread that they should at least change their [operation names and registration names] to differ from my script because one breaks the other script making both of the scripts useless. My code is based from the After effects exporter and up till Josh wrote his script, my script had bits of code from a Maya exporter which I replaced with Josh's rotation snippet.

I never made a big stink about this either but I've been waiting all year for Josh and his team to credit me or at the very least acknowledge me and my work because they did borrow a copy of Filmer last year in October for their Star Wars Trailer and they knew that I had the only working camera exporter and Javert said that they needed it fast, so I gave them a copy of Filmer to try out. Javert had me believing that we were in a collaboration together but They never got back to me or asked me any questions. The only answer that I ever got was from Calvin who said that he couldn't figure out how to use it or something to that nature. So like you they mimicked my script and I was never mentioned or credited. So yeah, I'm still waiting to see if they'll do right by me. I don't understand why they wouldn't in the first place because this type of behavior and treatment is not normal at all and I've been contracting for them since 2015. I have no idea what is going on with them and I'm just figuring or assuming that they're always so super busy and maybe that's why they forgot all about me after I gave them a copy of Filmer. You just take note that I've never nagged them about this either. I just sit here waiting for them to catch up on their work and so they have time to breath so we can have a proper talk like grown ups.

And so you understand my point of view and I do understand that you were trying to help but what you really did was create a fiat. You do understand what this is correct?

In the other thread you said that you're not a coder but you somehow know how to basically steal someone else's code and give it away for free and you explain to the OP how to do it.

So you first publish the hacked code but you use Josh's script which is a dupe of my script but you obviously give it out for free... then you mention me last, oh here's Frank's software that does the same thing as this free script that you hacked together. You should really try Franks software but here's my free one.

And see... the thing here is... and this is very important, you would have no idea about there even being the possibility of exporting a Blender camera over to VEGAS if it weren't for me and my work and the fact that you're one of my BETA testers. You see how this makes you look very, very bad. I still aint mad at ya... disappointed for sure but I'm letting it go. A mistake doesn't warrant anger.

You can go back and look at that other thread and see that the OP had no interest in my software at all because you created that fiat so he and other people are always gonna go for the free stuff.

When this happens, you essentially destroy all of my hard work and make it useless while I can guarantee that you'll be applauded for having given it out for free. How much you wanna bet? My work will indeed make you famous. :)

So yeah, I'm sitting here patiently and quietly, watching and learning.

I dunno what else to tell you man, it just makes me feel very alienated. It's like I'm a small part of this really huge and very cool thing on this forum but at the same time I'm not really a part of it. It feels very much like I'm tolerated here and not actually liked or welcome. Add the trolls on Twitter and other forums like Facebook into the mix and it's about enough to break anyone. :(

Anyway, I'm not angry at anyone, it'd just mean the world to actually feel welcomed here like when Norm would walk into "CHEERS",.. to also get a little appreciation and for once in my life... to get some credit for my work without someone snaking it out from under me.

@FilmSensei @NXVisualStudio @tddavis

Thank you but I'm good, I wasn't angry at Mike... just very, very shocked.

@GrayMotion

Tried to download your terrain, I dinna' have the Apple ID, because I dinna' have the Iphone.

• spydurhank

Another quick demo with Filmer and Hitfilm Pro 16's new shaders. Oh my god... oh my god... these shaders... oh my god these shaders are next level!!!

It's low quality at very low samples.

Filmer + Hitfilm Pro 16 BETA Comp test_ 01b - YouTube

This discussion has been closed.