Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,838 Ambassador

Hey Thanks Greg @GrayMotion and Jay @FilmSensei ,

My mom-in-law actually owns a home up there in Colorado so... you never know. I'd actually love to meet everyone on the forums. it'd be super cool. :)

Modelling 3D stuff is super easy dude. Minus a pen tablet... it is just like sketching, drawing or painting. Easy as Apple Pie. :)

Excitedly... last night I finished doing some really cool coding stuff inspired by emails asking me for help with text and boolean cuts and also by discussions here on the forums with the topic being triangles and Ngons, sprinkled with a bit of proper workflow or best practices. :)

Anyway, we can automagically clean up some ugly triangles, Ngons, inverted faces, overlapping vertices, incorrect shading and all the jazz that shows up when creating 3D text, 3D logos, and any type of hard surface modelling techniques like Boolean cuts. :)

I'm doing a quick video demo later but I'm finishing up some other cool coding Filmer stuff first. Awesome stuff. :)

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,196 Moderator

@spydurhank I am all for aitomagical anything regarding text meshes. Those are funky critters right there

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,838 Ambassador

Oh yeah dude, 3D text and 3D logos always make crazy geometry when you convert to a mesh object. that's why I never played with text and logos in the past but after testing all last night, we can create any text or logo but have it animation friendly as in it can bend, fold and deform properly while keeping proper shading. Really cool stuff. :)

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,310 Ambassador

@spydurhank Wow! That sounds exciting.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,731 Ambassador

@spydurhank Hmm.... Colorado. Aspens will be turning soon. Maybe schedule a mini-HF-convention?

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,310 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 I would go, but right now, I am not allowed to leave my state due to Covid-19. How about a "Colorado Post Pandemic Mini HitFilm Convention" anyone?

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

@FilmSensei @Stargazer54 Maybe we can sneak into Ralph Lauren's ranch in Telluride (Ridgeway)

Probably not 🙂

Anywhere with a pool table or snooker table. :)

Guess who just developed and completed some code that almost automatically cleans up shading errors from N-gons created by knife cuts, Boolean cuts and overzealous triangulation? :) and also...

Automatically converts a 3 sided face and 5 sided faces or higher, "N-gons" into quad faces.

I'm officially dubbing myself God like Genius level Artist... ahem... but only when my brain works... the rest of the time I'm just the greatest artist in the world. That's G.L.G.L.A. Naa, I joke but I am very good though. :)

Feels good to know the secret to something, you guys will know it soon too, plus it is super easy to do. :)

@spydurhank Ooh! A tortuous teaser if there was one. I can't wait to hear more.

You think it will work on landscapes Frank? My World Creator master piece landscapes look like big blobs of yuk in Hitfilm. :-)

@GrayMotion ,

I've not tried it for retopo of anything except for 3D logos and and 3D text. Maybe pass me a file or post a wireframe for me, I'd just need to see it with my own eyes to see what's up. I've been using my hard coded Decimate "BRIDGE" modifier to create all quad based landscapes. They are made from curves so can be shaped in very cool ways.

@tddavis , yeah it is cool to see it in action. I tried shooting a demo video of it last night but was just not feeling very well and then I woke up early this morning and tried again but just needed more sleep. When I woke up around 3:00pm, I walked into the kitchen with coffee being the only intention... but, a friend came over that we haven't seen in a good while so they twisted my arm, blind folded me and made me shoot some pool left handed and with one foot in the air and with one eye closed and they turned the air conditioning down really low so that i was shivering and they just left so I came back to my office and now I'm here and I'm sure that I drank my coffee waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast because duh. :)

I'll attempt another video demo in a while... ahem, once I settle down a bit. This is really cool stuff. Makes me very glad that @FilmSensei and @GrayMotion got me into 3D text and logos. :)

@spydurhank Must be the weather or ,,,duh duh dun!!! something more nefarious! I have felt exactly same the past couple of days. I chalked it up to working on this birthday cake (they always drain me) but maybe it is the weather. Ours is changing a bit of late. Hope you stay well.

@spydurhank It does look "purty!" That mesh is very sweet.

edited October 25

Well Frank... it's been too long for your thread to be so silent so I bumping it for "no good reason" other than you're AWESOME man!

I'm finally done with one of the greatest projects I've ever worked on. In all the years I've been building networks the one I just came off of literally beat out my all time achievement (building down the side of Pikes Peak in the 80's). The Dolores Canyon River crossing (an 8000' span to span lattice) OPGW crossing was crazy ass A-W-E-S-O-M-E. 48 miles from mountain to desert to mountain project. Wore my butt out I'll tell ya. What I'd give to be young again!

Now...time to get back to Filmering.

Anyhoo...bump bump bump my friend. Hope you and the better half are doing fine.🖖

Hey Greg @GrayMotion , That sounds massive. :)

I've been recovering from food poisoning and food allergies the past month so trying to just heal which is taking way too long... maybe because I just turned 48. :)

I did just get off a stint doing some 3D model building for a 3D video game company but sad to say... yet another online company that ripped me off. The last time I did this type of work was in 2015 and 2016 for two video game companies, they took all my models, didn't pay and I lost my house. Third times the charm where I learn my lesson... no more video game companies for me. :)

This could be where my bias when it comes to poorly built video game models may have come from. I'm over it now but it is crushing when someone ganks your work and you never get credit for it. I could literally shoot a documentary on my experiences when dealing with online companies that contract 3D work but then I'd burn a massive bridge and step on a whole lotta toes... I mean a whole lot.

But no, I'ma keep it positive and stuff, and all about art. :)

I did do some massive recoding of everything in Filmer because Terry and I discovered that other 3rd party addons will break my Hitfilm 3D scene exporters among other things in Blender. Lots of people have the very bad habit of naming their custom operations with the same name which just plays havoc with Blender. I see why the Blender devs have a pretty strict coding convention. Anyway, we won't have that problem anymore. :)

Also coded some of my custom modeling tools into new modifiers that create mesh data which will export properly into Hitfilm... even any type of N-gon, no matter how it was generated, with no shading errors.

Oh and we've even got the start of a new obj exporter in c++ which is super fast. I'll need to upload the latest Filmer build soon which is updated to Blender 2.92.0 :)

I'll post a few pics after dinner or something... maybe a quick video if I feel up to it. :)

edited October 26

recovering from food poisoning and food allergies

Ah man...that thing still hanging with you? Bummer. You know what this ole man did when he became allergic to beaf....he eats eggs and bacon. Twice a day. 👍

I did just get off a stint doing some 3D model building for a 3D video game company but sad to say

I figured you were busy. Our last conversion made it clear to me that it's about the art for you and to tell you the truth that impressed me. Staying true to one's self. I too could make a documentary on 40+ years of the fiber optic abominations that run the infrastructure of today. It's incredible the network actually works. I instead let others (that use the horrid BookFace and Twitsers ) do it instead with the "WTF Moments" pages but one day after I'm D-O-N-E (soon) I may just make one. To be clear I've never cared what anyone thinks about me or my opinions BUT a do need a few more dollars before I light the bridges a blaze 🔥. In the meantime, like you, Fiber Optics is my art so I just keep patiently positive. After all - it's "my" industry - I'm one of the first and I'm not ready to throw out the baby with the water💧 just because of a 1/4 million (exaggerating) "idjuits"🤪🤪.

Looking forward to getting back to work with you and Filmer. The RealIusion/Filmer/Hitfilm workflow has really got me excited.

Keep up the good fight Frank. It will all be worth it in the end😉

EDIT: Frank. I learnt a painful lesson (3 times totaling $183,500) NEVER do any work for ANYONE without an enforceable contract , NEVER do business with any Company "based" in the State of Delaware and never work across Internationally borders without "lawyers". It makes it harder to do work but makes you work harder (and smarter) keeping it inside your State of Origin. Tough card to fill at times...takes serious will power to let some money go 👍

Hey Thanks for that Greg, :)

Aside from not getting paid, I don't really see it as a negative because I learned a whole bunch of other stuff and also affirmed a few personal assumptions when it comes to the hype of video game engine real time rendering. It aint as real time as they make it out to be. Heh, it's funny as hell too. :)

Anyway, I just got done tinkering with my new c++ obj exporter and built it into the Filmer export UI, this sucker is good to go and it is super fast, need to do some export benchmarks but daaaaamn is is fast. :)

I've never got the to use Lightwave before but it is the only program that I've seen others use that could natively export to Hitfilm without any shading problems, I can go as far back as Hitfilm 2 Ultimate and just visually observing imports from Lightwave... I could tell that this was a program that I needed to try for Hitfilm mesh exports. Anyway, at least we have our own exporter now and not only the super slow python obj exporter in Blender. Super cool. :)

We should Skype soon so I can show it to you. :)

@spydurhank Hey, even though you two would be so far over my head, if it could be made into a 3-way Skype session I would love to sit in and absorb some of what you all throw down.

• FlyingBanana78FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 420 Enthusiast

The strange thing now though @spydurhank is that Blender no longer offers the lwo import in the add-ons never really looked until recently and found that 2.8 and newer has no option for lwo so the lwo models I do have I need to import into 2.79 and then save as a .blend and I can open them up in post 2.79 versions. I only did a quick search and found that others have been mentioning it as well that lightwave support has seemed to have disappeared from blender now.

Whoa, heh. All I needed was some sleep looks like. :)

Slept a bunch this past week, like normal, regular people do, 9:00pm-ish to around 8:00 am-ish. Feel pretty good this morning... almost normal, my speech aint slurred like an alcoholic and I can Form a whole thought without disappearing into my imagination and I've only misspelled five words so far. :) All that is left is a little tummy ache which aint too bad to deal with. At least I can focus a bit, at least enough to code some magic. :)

Just re-wrote my Filmer code with the latest Blender 2.92.0 along with a bazillion of my personal modelling tools, ideas, and techniques in the form of new modifiers and other snazzy tools. Im gonna test it till 11:00am-ish and then do a video showcasing the new Filmer stuff. :)

@FlyingBanana78 , I did not notice that. I've never really used the built in Blender exporters for lightwave. The other built in stuff like 3Dsmax, and fbx exporters doesn't and has never worked well at all when it comes to exporting to Hitfilm.

The c++ .obj exporter for Hitfilm that I just completed is pretty damned fantastic though and does exactly what I want... which is... everything. :)

But hey listen guys, I would like to do a Filmer introductory type video featuring all five of my Filmer beta testers and maybe a few other Filmer users that I've personally taught or given artistic advice too... of where and when my ideas for Filmer came from. So yeah, a Skype chat or something with all of us would be pretty cool. Let me know if you guys are up for it sometime soon. @FlyingBanana78, @tddavis, @GrayMotion, @FilmSensei, @Triem23. Yeah, let me know and we'll plan it out. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,315 Ambassador

Sure, let's make it happen!

Oh my god so cool. Thanks Mike @Triem23,

Dude, you've gotta see the new Boolean and N-gon stuff that I coded. Tis soooooooo pimp. :)

Awesome @FilmSensei, I very much look forward to it. :)

If you really need a lead weight to anchor the shows down, I'm in.

@tddavis,

You can't fool me... I know you're an artist. You're always welcome and I'd be glad if you were there. :)

I got distracted for a moment and am trying to hack my way around this motion blur bug when importing alembic files to Hitfilm. I think that I got it but have to wait another 24 minutes for Filmer to build with the new alembic code that I just tweaked. Oh boy oh boy. :)

• FlyingBanana78FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 420 Enthusiast

@spydurhank Not sure what I could contribute but I would be willing to get in on a skype chat. Just saying that because most of my time is spent on my laptop which doesn't really support all the newest options for denoising so I don't even have the latest filmer version cause I feel like I really don't "meet" the beta tester criteria. But yes I would be willing to get in on a skype or something if not just to hear what the other users and you as well are doing with filmer.

Awe, it'd be cool to have you dude @FlyingBanana78,

You shouldn't underrate yourself. Visually your work is stunning, you should post more of your 3d stuff on these forums.

People need to see your stuff dude. :) Your modelling skills are on point and what you do with your materials are pretty damned nice too.

Speaking of materials, I just knacked together some new material shaders that work or behave the same way as I sketch, draw and paint shading, shadows on surfaces and just light in general.

The side effect of these shaders is that they make way less "bad noise", require less samples, and denoise cleaner images as well as individual render passes and custom AOVs.

Today I think I'm just gonna be tweaking more of my code to avoid conflictions with all other 3rd party addons and code. People need to stop using the same name conventions when coding for Blender... I swear to god. Things are always "Breakin' two, Electric boogaloo. " :)

But yeah, I'm gonna code some dropdown menus so we can have a smaller UI because all of my custom ops are beginning to crowd the "N" panel in the 3D viewport something fierce. :)

I'm open for video chatting any time, let me know what times are good for you guys. :)

Later,

Frank