Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

1606162636466»

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,767 Ambassador

Hey Thanks Greg @GrayMotion and Jay @FilmSensei ,

My mom-in-law actually owns a home up there in Colorado so... you never know. I'd actually love to meet everyone on the forums. it'd be super cool. :)

Modelling 3D stuff is super easy dude. Minus a pen tablet... it is just like sketching, drawing or painting. Easy as Apple Pie. :)

Excitedly... last night I finished doing some really cool coding stuff inspired by emails asking me for help with text and boolean cuts and also by discussions here on the forums with the topic being triangles and Ngons, sprinkled with a bit of proper workflow or best practices. :)

Anyway, we can automagically clean up some ugly triangles, Ngons, inverted faces, overlapping vertices, incorrect shading and all the jazz that shows up when creating 3D text, 3D logos, and any type of hard surface modelling techniques like Boolean cuts. :)

I'm doing a quick video demo later but I'm finishing up some other cool coding Filmer stuff first. Awesome stuff. :)

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 3,939 Moderator

@spydurhank I am all for aitomagical anything regarding text meshes. Those are funky critters right there

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,767 Ambassador

Oh yeah dude, 3D text and 3D logos always make crazy geometry when you convert to a mesh object. that's why I never played with text and logos in the past but after testing all last night, we can create any text or logo but have it animation friendly as in it can bend, fold and deform properly while keeping proper shading. Really cool stuff. :)

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,126 Ambassador

@spydurhank Wow! That sounds exciting.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,578 Ambassador

@spydurhank Hmm.... Colorado. Aspens will be turning soon. Maybe schedule a mini-HF-convention?

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,126 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 I would go, but right now, I am not allowed to leave my state due to Covid-19. How about a "Colorado Post Pandemic Mini HitFilm Convention" anyone?

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,332 Enthusiast

@FilmSensei @Stargazer54 Maybe we can sneak into Ralph Lauren's ranch in Telluride (Ridgeway)

Probably not 🙂

Anywhere with a pool table or snooker table. :)

Guess who just developed and completed some code that almost automatically cleans up shading errors from N-gons created by knife cuts, Boolean cuts and overzealous triangulation? :) and also...

Automatically converts a 3 sided face and 5 sided faces or higher, "N-gons" into quad faces.

I'm officially dubbing myself God like Genius level Artist... ahem... but only when my brain works... the rest of the time I'm just the greatest artist in the world. That's G.L.G.L.A. Naa, I joke but I am very good though. :)

Feels good to know the secret to something, you guys will know it soon too, plus it is super easy to do. :)

@spydurhank Ooh! A tortuous teaser if there was one. I can't wait to hear more.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,332 Enthusiast

You think it will work on landscapes Frank? My World Creator master piece landscapes look like big blobs of yuk in Hitfilm. :-)

@GrayMotion ,

I've not tried it for retopo of anything except for 3D logos and and 3D text. Maybe pass me a file or post a wireframe for me, I'd just need to see it with my own eyes to see what's up. I've been using my hard coded Decimate "BRIDGE" modifier to create all quad based landscapes. They are made from curves so can be shaped in very cool ways.

@tddavis , yeah it is cool to see it in action. I tried shooting a demo video of it last night but was just not feeling very well and then I woke up early this morning and tried again but just needed more sleep. When I woke up around 3:00pm, I walked into the kitchen with coffee being the only intention... but, a friend came over that we haven't seen in a good while so they twisted my arm, blind folded me and made me shoot some pool left handed and with one foot in the air and with one eye closed and they turned the air conditioning down really low so that i was shivering and they just left so I came back to my office and now I'm here and I'm sure that I drank my coffee waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast because duh. :)

I'll attempt another video demo in a while... ahem, once I settle down a bit. This is really cool stuff. Makes me very glad that @FilmSensei and @GrayMotion got me into 3D text and logos. :)

@spydurhank Must be the weather or ,,,duh duh dun!!! something more nefarious! I have felt exactly same the past couple of days. I chalked it up to working on this birthday cake (they always drain me) but maybe it is the weather. Ours is changing a bit of late. Hope you stay well.

Weird Boolean thingy, + recoded and revamped the Filmer UI. Oh and uh... heh... coded an even faster Cycles render engine.

I can export any N-gon shape with no shading errors into Hitfilm and if I really, really wan to, I can convert triangles and N-gons into quads for clean subdivision. In the wireframe below, all the quads were previously triangles and N-gons. More cool example stuff later on.

Man I love me some wireframes... :)

@spydurhank It does look "purty!" That mesh is very sweet.