Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,762 Ambassador

Cool @tddavis , I'll send you guys an e-mail or simply post here with a video when it is up. :)

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,762 Ambassador

A detailed 3d Compositing demo on exporting an entire 3D scene along with animations, armatures, render passes and custom Lensing AOVs from Filmer/Blender to Hitfilm Pro 15. i poke a little fun at the new process to import an image sequence, don't pay attention to it if you can't take a joke. :)

I recorded this at midnight last night after a day bout with food poisoning, just finished editing and uploading after sleeping and recovering through the early morning.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNUuwcryaTk

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 3,925 Moderator

@spydurhank Got your email with the update link but been gone all day...again! Was this the same Chinese place that gave you food poisoning a few months ago?  I'd be steering well clear of there from now on. :)

Subway Tuna Melt. Subway did it to me twice. :(

I'm feeling much better now, but apparently my digestive system is a delicate flower and I won't be eating fast food ever again. :) 

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,332 Enthusiast

Subway?? The bread that has the same ingredients as a yoga mat? Dude!

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,115 Ambassador

@spyduhank I have got to download and take a look at this newest version!

Oh yeah, it is waiting for you. :)

@spydurhank Hey, I was able to download that screen record you shared which is cool for me.  Also, I am sending you a couple of screen shots in email of all the add-ons I have enabled in Filmer and the export thing is still working after each one of the third party ones.  The only one I haven't tried is Josh's custom exporter

Oh Cool, Thanks Terry. Since our Skype chat last night... very informative by the way,

We now know for certain that some third party authored addons are buggy and cause other addons to break... we or someone should let Josh know that other addons will break his addon and you won't even know why it is happening. Looks like this may have been the reason that they couldn't get Filmer to work for their mock Star wars trailer around last October. You and I tracked that bug down in about 5 minutes of troubleshooting which was pretty cool. :)

I'm actually glad that they couldn't figure it out because I now have a better template "Josh's addon" to use as a study device on how he writes code... it's like having a peak at Da Vinci's journal. Josh's little code snippets gave me all sorts of ideas... all sorts dude. :)

I'm not exactly sure if you can run Josh's script in Filmer but I do think that one will overwrite the other because he gave his addon the same exact python registration code that I've been using in my code since 2013 so one of us would have to change their registration code... plus my code is updated to Blender code which is now at version 2.90.02 while his is written for 2.80.0 or something like that. He'd need to update his addon daily to make sure that it works which is what I do... I update my code every single day with whatever the Blender DEVS are doing and so that all of my exporters and such can get animations and geometry over to Hitfilm.

You know... I'd started working on the idea for a live link with Filmer and Hitfilm about 6 months ago but had a harddrive burn up and cook in my old machine so I only got as far as writing and testing a live link with Filmer and Gimp for 3D texture painting. I was using a really old Blender 2.6 addon that created a live link with Blender 2.60 and Gimp as a template to learn from and I got it working but didn't take it any further after the hdd crash and besides, I'd have to ask permission to be able to look into Hitfilm's code which I don't even know how to read so that's another coding language that I'd need to learn. I can see a Live link with Filmer and Hitfilm in my mind... if anyone can do it... it's Josh and the DEVS. :)

If Josh ever gave us the ability to write our own addons for Hitfilm, it'd open up a whole world of possibilities... a guy can dream. :)

Hey Terry @tddavis ,

With what we learned about third party addons last night... I've just done a complete re-write of all my code and tools so that no other addons or operations block registration of Filmer operations. I also tweaked my exporters a bit so that you can use Josh's script in Filmer without the two operations conflicting. Just tested in todays build of Filmer and it's all good. :)

I'm gonna give it a day or so before uploading the new build. :)

Ok, cool beans.  I don't know when I'll ever actually need to export anything but always good to be prepared!  I went through checking export function enough with my addons I think I'll actually remember how :)

Started working on a Gen 1 Prime model. Took about 45 minutes so far with cleaning up all of the geometry  created by Boolean operations so there are a ton of Triangles and Ngons. This is gonna be pimp when I get it into Hitfilm. :)

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,554 Ambassador

Frank, how in the world do you build an awesome model like that in 45 min.??????  It would take me that long just to find the right tool to use.

Thanks @Stargazer54 , I got the same reaction from Josh Davies back in 2016 when I built a super detailed Lightsaber hilt with stuff on the surface and inner housing like screws, nuts and bolts, electronics and a Crystal thingy. Back then I wasn't as fast so it took a few hours. :)

It's easy for me, like sketching on paper... plus I coded some stuff to help automatically clean up Tris and Ngons, otherwise it'd taken a lot, lot lot, super lot longer to model.

I'm trying it out now, the Cylinder is cutting into the underlying mesh which is made up of N-gons but with my little code idea, I can represent the n-gons as quads. And since the mesh stays as quads... it can be subdivided to create more geometry which can be bent or twisted for much cleaner mesh deformations. :) Just need to write a user interface for it.

Really cool stuff. :) 

• indartsuaindartsua Website User Posts: 4

great work. congratulations.

i was thinking about sharing my channel here, but i don't want to be insulted.

Thanks. @indartsua

Why would anyone insult you? That is a silly thing to do. :) Feel free to share away. :)

• FlyingBanana78FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 410 Enthusiast

Holy cow dude that's insane. Can't wait to see it finished man!

edited August 19

Thanks @FlyingBanana78 ,

Did a bit more detail stuff before I call it a night. Cleaning up Booleans cuts is no joke but pretty easy once you get used to it... just Uber tedious and repetitive. I've done several iterations for the head but I like this one the best so far, I'm really diggin' working on the mouth guard or whatever you wanna call it. There's gonna be tons of panels too and probably a whole mess of rivets all over the Cab. :)

This will be pretty detailed when I'm done, at least several million faces. I'm gonna paint 16K textures for this to display in, and bench the hell outta Hitfilm Pro 15. Haven't painted 16 textures in a while and the last time that I imported a model with 16 textures into Hitfilm was back in 2016 and the textures were 8 bit jpegs. This time they'll be 32 bit .exr so I can place the camera super close to the model. :)

Hmmm, 16K textures just sounds nice. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 17,745 Ambassador

That's gonna be a good looking model. He's kinda halfway between the pure G1 design and the War for Cybertron game design. The WFC look is one of the best Prime variants. 

• brajbraj Website User Posts: 75

I bought a Filmer license in March of 2019, never used it for anything, putting Hitfilm and Blender both down due to illness, but now I'm outside of the free download option. It makes me wonder why there isn't a one time fee, like most addons I have bought, Blender development moves so fast that I don't know if I am up for buying another Filmer release yet, not getting much use from it in the download duration, then needing to buy it again the next year or whatever. I just wanted to say this makes me reluctant to invest more in Filmer.

Hey @braj ,

Yeah I remember you. You're the guy that gets physically sick from watching my videos. Sorry about that. I will give you an extension for a free download, no problem at all. :) I was pretty ill most of last month, got food poisoning three times from Chinese take out and Subway subs. The Chinese food was this close to winning... a little bit more and no more Frank. :)

Sorry that illness kept you from using either Filmer and Hitfilm. Unless I personally made you ill... ahem, there's obviously nothing I can do about how much time you spend using the software. I can't very well twist your arm and force you to use it. :)

Seeing as how you've missed a lot from being ill, check out the two vids below. I go a bit into my process so you'll be able to see a few possibilities when using Filmer with Hitfilm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bxa4PK1Sqg&t=17s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNUuwcryaTk&t=6s

For the record, I do one on one Video chats where I take folks or Filmer users through a walkthrough of how to use the software, Most guys are just beginning to learn vfx in general and use Blender. they haven't learned any bad habits so are easy to teach and they pick up my techniques easily. So you keep in mind that you've not once contacted me for anything before other than to say what you just now said. I can't help when I don't even know anything is wrong in the first place.:) :)

Only three Filmer users including Filmer Beta testers have ever asked me for a one on one video chat much less asked me any questions about using Filmer. When people don't ask me questions... I assume they know exactly what they're doing and don't reqiure my help. :)

Filmer is clearly not an addon dude. :) You may as well get that idea out of your head now. :) I'm one dude backed and sponsored by people like you so not corporate or anything like that. :) Not discounting anyone else but there is actually one Filmer user that has single handedly funded the entire concept of Filmer for just over a year via donations. I've also had a couple Filmer users that simply purchase the software a few times a year to help out and keep funding going. Although big software companies don't give two craps about me or my art... it's the users that see the real artistic potential of how I specifically and personally use Filmer and Hitfilm to create something new that either software couldn't easily do alone and that is what is keeping me going. :)

Like I said, I can give you an extension for a free download if you really, really want just let me know. I'm uploading a new release shortly with a bunch of new toys and render speed ups so look for that in a day or so. Trust me, you'll want to play with the new toys. :)

That's OK, I'm not looking for something for nothing  :) just the yearly fee thing doesn't work so well for me, and it may sound like a small sum, but $36 is still a lot for me to come up with a lot of the time, so other priorities probably will keep me from trying another Filmer build for a while.  At least until I know my health will be stable enough to allow me to use it. I got lucky and extended Hitfilm Pro with a HumbleBundle deal or I'd be on an older version of Hitfilm too. Social Security doesn't fund much ;)

Does the version of Hitfilm you are using Filmer with matter much?

I will have try to go over the videos some more, it's not just your videos, but many like it all over, its wasn't yours specifically I had issues with ;) My apologies if I came off as complaining about your videos specifically before. Video chats are even worse, I really have a lot of communication issues.

Hey @braj , No worries and thanks for that. My offer still stands though. Shoot me your email so that you can at least try the latest version when I upload it because I'm about to start spitting out training videos left and right.

And besides, I've given or loaned out Filmer to a couple of studios and software companies this past year which was a huge disappointment because they took the software and either gave no feedback and cut all correspondence or simply stated that they didn't know how to use it or couldn't get it to work,  so giving you a single copy of Filmer to use aint gonna kill me. :)

You're talking to a dude that has brain damage so don't feel bad if you're not so good with people because I'm not very good with them either. 

I think the only reason that Hitfilm version would or may matter is that prior to last October... The Devs had taken away keyframing for 3D orientation in Hitfilm and that is why everyone had trouble importing cameras with my addons and other peoples addons that exported camera data into Hitfilm. So if you're using an older version of Hitfilm, then the Filmer camera exporter will for sure suffer from some form of gimbal lock.

After last Christmas, the Devs returned the ability to Keyframe 3D orientations so if your are using any version of Hitfilm that was released after last Christmas, you should be good to go and all of my exporters will work.

Thanks for the offer, but I do think I should try and pay for it, I imagine the market for this isn't huge, so I should just remain a customer. If you were a big corporation I would definitely take it for free  Anyhow, maybe the first of the month, or first of next month... I also have a sort of brain damage too, neurological pain disorder thing, hyperalgesia, it floors me and I only have a small duration to work on things before I am exhausted. I am trying to fight through it and be at least mentally active with Blender, Hitfilm, and iClone for animation, but getting anything done is literally painful. So I would really love to have a good bridge from Blender to Hitfilm (which I don't use nearly enough) , to save time and make the workflow smoother. First of the month is coming fast now though :) I can wait.

I do have a couple more questions: What version should be purchased from your download page, and should this be used with the same settings as my regular Blender install, or should it be kept separated?  

Thanks @braj , I appreciate you taking the time to tell me a bit about yourself. That is very understanding and kind of you. :)

The latest Filmer version is at 2.91.0 and dated at "8-6-20" Filmer is literally the same as Blender except I've done some hard coded tweaks to the Cycles render engine making it several hundred times faster than the regular Blender Cycles render engine plus about 90 something % of the tools including my exporters are now built into the user interface making it much simpler on the user having less addons to install. 

Be careful when and if you decide to go back and forth between Blender and Filmer because Filmer is using the latest up to date 2.91.0 code which is less bug prone while official Blender is on 2.83.0 and still has many bugs so we get as many bug free experimental features in Filmer as I can code or are added by the Blender developers. I've coded and added some physics and particle type tools that automatically create animations which can be exported easily to Hitfilm. 

You can open and interchange projects with both programs but I don't recommend it because saving a project in an older bug prone Blender 2.83.0 will pass those bugs into the project file which will be passed onto Filmer if you choose to open the older and buggy 2.83.0 project in Filmer. There won't be anything wrong with Filmer itself but the project file may be corrupted if you go back and forth so better to be safe than sorry. :)

Oh my gosh dude... I literally use Filmer and Hitfilm to sorta level myself out, kinda like I'm forcing myself to only and specifically think artistically which makes everything super easy to learn. My brain just starts workin' good and my recall is on point. It feels really good to feel... I dunno... normal? :) Yeah I really think there's a benefit to all this because if it can help me rewire my brain, it'll for sure help people that don't have this type of trauma, kinda like... if I can learn to vfx and code software over night and I have brain damage... then logically anyone else can do it too. :) 

Oh snap! You've got a working pipeline with iClone, Blender and Hitfilm? That's really cool. I know one other guy that does the same thing and he's been doing some really cool stuff. :)

Feel free to ask me anything. :)

I guess my big question right now would be: is there a current feature list? 

I'm working on that @braj :)

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,115 Ambassador

@GrayMotion I'll toast to that... Here here! 🍸️