Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,776 Ambassador

@FlyingBanana78

Thanks, I like how that Hitfilm Logo came out too. :)  

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,776 Ambassador

Made a quick 3D Filmer logo. 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,186 Ambassador

Made another quick 3D logo inspired by @GrayMotion and his vector graphics to Hitfilm tutorial.

Today I'm gonna UV unwrap the Hitfilm, owmycgi, and Filmer logos to paint some nice 16bit float 8K textures...erm, may do it at 16K which Hitfilm Pro 12 can easily handle if I decide to move my camera closer to the 3D objects. I'll definitely spend more than three hours like I did on the Optimus Prime object. Haven't decided on Alembic animations or if I'm gonna use the simple approach with empties to hold animation data for the 3D objects. if I do any type of mech deformation/physics demolition, I'll for sure use Alembic.

Still need a few tweaks for the Hitfilm Tools panels due to api changes and I've started adding a panel to the uv/image editor as well with a few of my preset operations that speed up image creation and texture baking. I may do a two to five minute video later today after texturing and then some coding in which I'll ask you guys for some advice and input on your thoughts about keeping the Filmer ui clean and organized as I add more tools.  

owmycgi.net 3D logo preview. Modeled and rendered in Filmer beta and Comped in Hitfilm Pro v12. :)   

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,333 Enthusiast

Well...isn't that sexy! I suppose I should get the rest of the tutorial series done before it's old news.  

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,186 Ambassador

Check out this cool thing I made in just a few minutes following @GrayMotion's tutorial. This is my old karate school's logo. I wish I knew how to do this when I still owned the school! :)

Ah @FilmSensei - Is that hi-karate or hi-crowbar? Ha ha ha.

Looking sweet J!

So I stayed home today to get some coding done while my family went over to Hollywood Florida to meet a garage owner that will potentially work on my father in laws Rolls... They just met some crazy dude that was hollering about his lost "ring" and fancy "tv remote looking thing" on a trip with a bunch of smelly dudes.

• FlyingBanana78FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 411 Enthusiast

Are you regretting staying home home seeing that picture? Hope he didn't slide anyone away! Was Frodo around too?

@FlyingBanana78 ,

Na, not really. Got a lot done and just finished coding most of the important ops for the Hitfilm tools panel a few minutes ago. The Blender api changes almost daily making it hard to maintain a proper coding workflow with multi file addons so I decided to break it up into smaller parts meaning more stand alone addons but only temporarily till things stabilize.

It did make me think about just simply  bundling all the addons along with Filmer because they all work together anyway but are located in different workspaces and ui panes.

Well damn, since I finished early, I'll go ahead and screencap a 2 or 3 minute video to get all of your inputs but first need coffee. :) 

edited March 2019

@FilmSensei , Frank - I would like to show off your work with the SVG's in my final part of my "mini" series. I had to do three videos to cover all I wanted. (Thank goodness for speed control during playback for those who get bored easily.)

Do you mind?

• brajbraj Website User Posts: 75

OK, I just bought the Filmer Beta :) 

Also, I am hoping there won't be any issues using this with the advanced-ocean-modifier . I guess I'll be testing that soon, but that's my go-to for making oceans in Blender. 

@GrayMotion I don't mind at all dude, you figured out how to use the tools panel on your own so I know you that you know what you are doing which is awesome. :)

@braj , Welcome and thanks for the support. The only thing you need to worry about is what you're gonna do with the all of your saved render time. :) 

@GrayMotion I don't mind at all either. I have made some other project files if you would like to see them also.

Ooh, great idea @FilmSensei . :)

@GrayMotion , I can slip you the 3D logos that I made the past two weeks if you want? I still need to texture them though.  

@GrayMotion Here you go. I quickly put together these couple of ideas based on your tutorial. One (Sensei) was to practice, and the other two were for my Jiu Jitsu school. These clips are very preliminary and would need a lot more work to bring to completion, but they give a great example of how you can put your tutorial to work in only a few minutes to get some amazing results!

Oh my gosh!!!, Oh my gosh!!!, Oh my gosh!!!, Oh my gosh!!!, Oh my gosh!!!, Oh my gosh!!!, 

Love it @FilmSensei , stepping up your game. :) 

@Spydurhank Only thanks to you guys. You have no idea how much I have learned from you.

@FilmSenei I appreciate that very much. :)

A not as quick as I thought, Filmer and updated addons with some Blender to Hitfilm animation and camera settings tips. I end the video with exporting a camera and empties over to Hitfilm Pro v12.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about bundling all of my now and future addons with Filmer to make things simpler. Let me know what you think, please?

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,016 Moderator

@spydurhank I think that sounds like a good idea.  Simpler is always better, but not if it causes you any extra work.  You're doing so much already, and the virtually daily updates to the base 2.8 build can't be helping.

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 419 Enthusiast

@FilmSensei

+100 on what @Spydurhank said. and Whoa Duuuude! Farm out!

That is looking great @spydurhank, the addons are a real nice touch. The normals is a nice touch as well, since blender has always seemed to like stuffing a random normal flipped somewhere in a mesh. And recalculate doesn't always work either. I am going to have to try and mess around with some matchmoves and see how it goes. Also I agree with @tddavis you are doing tons already and much more as they are talking possibly October will be the full release candidate for 2.8 so that means all kinds of changes for months. Again, awesome work man!

@FlyingBanana78 October? I thought they were talking June?

@DataDesign Thanks!

@FilmSensei Yeah, it is all still just rumors and speculation. But there are still quite a bit of normally used aspects that are not properly working or that have been addressed yet. They may greenlight something sooner but who knows for sure other than Ton himself. Hopefully the release is soonersooner though.

edited March 2019

I bought a license as much to support development as anything, I understand Cycles rendering is faster, but what else is in the current release that I should look at? I don't really know what is different :) I haven't played with 2.8 all that much yet.

OOps, I just saw this, I guess I should watch the latest.

https://www.owmycgi.net/blender-to-hitfilm

Hi @Braj and thanks for the support it is very much appreciated. :)

In my last video I show you some of the tools that will be added in the next release which you guys will be getting in a few days. I'm just working on the last three Hitfilm mesh object and alembic exporters. So all the important export stuff that works together is just about complete.    

edited March 2019

Frank - Combining all your tools into one build for simplicity does sound like a great idea. If you leave them as add-on's or build them into Filmer is really just cosmetic to me....what you're creating with the tools is just plain awesome!

As for your cool ass logo.....dude...teach me!!

@FilmSensei - J the svg to object examples you shared are fantastic! In fact....beautiful man!

Thanks to the both of you for letting me add your work to my last series. I promise they will be shown in the best light possible.

Rock on gents!

Edit: J - Got to thinking....That first object of the guy...the jagged edge look (convert bitmap?) could be used to say cut a 3d image out of a sheet of steel with a blow torch. Sparks smoke and fire!