Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,779 Ambassador

@tddavis Whoa, you got the classroom scene in under eight minutes!? Wow! 

• FlyingBanana78FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 411 Enthusiast

Here are the desktop GPU CPU render times with Filmer.

GPU Time: 01:05.73  |  Mem: 142.06M   Peak: 142.06M 

https://i.imgur.com/OllpcN9.png

CPU Time: 06:52.02   |  Mem: 144.77   Peak:  144.85M

https://i.imgur.com/AHqvQuf.png

I did also run into some cuda errors as well on the desktop but that was after editing the BMW file and adding some low lying  volumetric mist and emissions to the brake lamps and headlamps to get the "god rays" I did find out as well if I saved my edited project then closed filmer and reopened it then it would render. I was just curious as volumetrics really task out the cpu/gpu which is why most of the time volumetrics are just faked.

And yeah I figured with the laptop that it was probably the performance coding changes in Filmer that was the reason behind not even attempting the GPU render. 2.8 beta does which is why I figured I would try it at least.

The laptop as I mentioned is more of my everything tool as I can sit out in the living room and eat meals and still work. So no worries about it not gpu rendering on my laptop as I generally take my intensive models and scenes over to the desktop to handle the heavy lifting. I dropped a hint over in a couple of the blender facebook groups I am in about this project and to get everyone drooling I posted the times I got between 2.79 2.8b and Filmer.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,026 Moderator
    edited January 2019

@spydurhank The regular 2.8 build did it in just over 8 at 8:27.38.  Redid the BMW and Fishy_Cat as well:

Fishy Cat Filmer:

4:44.85 min / 383.55M MEM /383.56M Peak

2.8 Basic:

7:05.14 mim /383.55 MEM / 385.55 Peak

BMW Filmer:

1:43.22 min / 142.07M MEM /142.08M Peak

2.8 Basic:

2:55.60 min / 142.07M MEM ?144.07M Peak

Here's the Fishy_Cat render for interested parties.

Frank I am going to make a nice (I hope) chart that has all my data to date for your ease of deciphering.  I'll email it to you later tonight. But I can see already it helps tons if you actually are using your GPU when you think you are:)

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,333 Enthusiast
    edited January 2019

Those times are more like it @tddavis. I figured something was a skew with your other times. No way could your GPU do that bad unless it was failing. Good to hear you got it fleshed out

I have been looking through the Blender.org's benchmark site https://code.blender.org/2016/02/new-cycles-benchmark/  I am downloading those files now to also give it a look. Going to try out the classroom scene and see how it goes.

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,779 Ambassador

Wow you guys are getting really good render times,

there is a new update https://builder.blender.org/download/

I just woke up so coffee first then I'll go get the source code and rebuild.

This is really so much fun to do but I'm drowsy from oversleeping. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

Filmer updated with latest Master branch. 01-26-2019 

Took way longer than expected with this build as there was a bug in updated master build files.

https://www.owmycgi.net/product-page/filmer-beta

OK Frank...this is crazy.... I followed a cave 2.8 tutorial without realizing it involved the Eevee Engine. It took about 4-5 hours to get a grip on the new Blender controls and somewhat mimic the tutorial When I went to render the scene it was only then that I noticed Eevee. Figured great...5 hrs render.

Filmer - Eevee Engine

CPU/GPU - 0:6.1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10wUN0bGrROa-9T_MSFND_rgBEzTz86Mn/view?usp=sharing

@GrayMotion Wow!  That's pretty as all ...! And that time is amazing.

edited January 2019

@GrayMotion ,

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and ask, how is that so realistic!? 

I'm pretty sure that is all geometry, what was your polycount once you finished the cave and lantern?

00:06:10 seconds is out of this world, Thanks for this @GrayMotion, I will look much further into Eevee thanks to your render alone. I wasn't planning on ever using Eevee because of all the artifacts that it produces during animations but wow man. Your render is just amazing. :)

EDIT:

Just checked and there is a bug fix update for the Blender 2.80.0 Beta this morning. Unless something weird like yesterday happens, I'll have my branch updated with Blender master branch in about an hour or so. I wish I had a bigger ssd for my os so I could just build blender in my c: drive. It takes around 8 to 10 minutes on my ssd but there is not enough space so I have to build into a separate HDD, it takes about 40 minutes to build on a separate regular hard drive. It is the 40-ish minute wait time that kills. Since the updates seem to happen either every other day and sometimes on back to back days, I'll simply post the update labeled with that days date.

Later. :)   

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,196 Ambassador

Here is the initial render of the BMW from the New Cycles Benchmark in Blender 2.8 standard downloaded on January 27, 2019:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1pd2c6sva0f7e15/1.png/file

Total Render Time: 11:20.62 minutes, Mem: 144.77M, Peak: 144.90M

My pathetic computer specs are...

• 16gig ram, DDR3
    • Intel Core i5-4460, 3.20Ghz 4 cores
    • Intel HD Graphics 4600

I will email Frank for a beta copy of Filmer, but given my video card I am not sure if there will be a difference at all.

Filmer is updated to 01-27-2019, 2.80.0 Master. 

"what was your polycount once you finished the cave and lantern"

Verts: 716,608 Faces: 715,456 Tris: 1,430,912 - I'd say pretty lite?

Have no idea why it has the "realistic" look. I must be good?!? Nah......lucky, clueless and follow instruction well evidently :-)

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,196 Ambassador

Running from scratch, here are my numbers...

• Blender - CPU BMW: 11:23.76 minutes, Mem: 144.77M, Peak: 144.90M
    • Filmer - CPU BMW: 10:48.98 minutes, Mem: 144.77M, Peak: 144.81M
    • Blender - GPU BMW: 13:01.05 minutes, Mem: 144.77M, Peak: 152.78M
    • Filmer - GPU BMW: 10:51.55 minutes, Mem: 144.77M, Peak: 144.81M

I will play around with the settings and post again.

Ok with the newest update somehow it was able to render gpu on the laptop now and it more than cut the time in half vs cpu. 

GPU was Time: 06:33:22  Mem:142.06M Peak:142.06M

( Previous build --- Cuda Error)

CPU was Time:15:57.38   Mem:144.77 Peak:144.81M   

( Previous build ---Time: 15:34.02   |  Mem:144.77, Peak: 144.81M )

Desktop Info will be up Tomorrow (got a HF export going on it right now) Started late cause of weather and power bumps

Filmer updated with 01-28-2019 Master branch. It is just a whole bunch of bug fixes.

Beta testers, try this first please.

You can use your original Filmer download link or your latest Filmer download link which you should already have in your email from the past few days. That way you don't need to go to my website to redownload and enter the coupon code every time. Your original link should be automatically updated with the latest build. You can see the changes by name and date on the zip file after you click to download. Your link is good for 30 days, after which you can then go to my site and re-download with the same coupon code. You guys are getting all the updates for free during the next 12 months for helping out during BETA testing so no worries there but any support is extremely appreciated and most welcome.

Everybody else can get Filmer at a reduced price while in BETA and receive all updates for the next 12 months. Updates with speedups and other Blender to HitFilm Tools will be worked on and uploaded frequently. 

I code new operations daily when I run into something that could really benefit from a little automation to make work faster and simpler.  

@spydurhank Thanks for the updates; Blender.org is keeping you hopping with their daily updates, right?.  I did the Barcelone benchmark yesterday in and among the Earth and Cave projects.  Good results:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed28xdq8kzn6ep3/FRame 68 Barcelona.png?dl=0

Blender 2.8 1/26/2019 update: 15:30.68 min / 150.04M / 153.0M Peak

Filmer 2.8 1/27/2019 update:  12:10.56 min / 150.04M  / 150.05M Peak

@tddavis ,

No problem. Yeah, I'm just glad they're getting rid of bugs so that is cool and it is really good practice. Today is my first day with no issues while building Blender so I was able to upload the update pretty early this morning. I really enjoy when I can get the tougher parts of a project done right away.

This weekend I'm exploring another render speedup tweak to the Blender source. May take a bit but here is a super quick video for beta testers. :)

BETA testers, sorry. You'll need to keep downloading from my site and use the code I gave you everytime there is an update. Very sorry. :(

January 28, 2019 BMW GPU Render:

• Blender Time: 12:59.61 minutes, Mem: 144.77M, Peak: 152.78M
    • Filmer Time: 10:45.91 minutes, Mem: 144.77M, Peak: 144.81M

Specs: 16gig ram, DDR3 * Intel Core i5-4460, 3.20Ghz 4 cores * Intel HD Graphics 4600

edited January 2019

@spydurhank,  Just watched your youtube post and I will post the images as you mentioned in it from now on. Was wondering when it was going to become a bit of a headache to sift through all the posts. Thanks again for doing this, I am sure FXhome also thinks this is pretty sweet too. 

Next on the list is live 3d model updates in blender to the 3d model open in Hitfilm?   hehehe j/k 

No worries about the constant downloads, after all that is what beta testers do. This is the current BMW update render times on the desktop pc. Since the Filmer code is meant for 4gig or higher gpu's I won't bother posting the laptop info unless you want me to despite it rendering the gpu scene this latest update. Here are the latest results.

*Current Build* CPU Time: 06:49.90    | Mem:144.77M  Peak: 144.85M

*Previous Build* CPU Time: 06:52.02   |  Mem: 144.77   Peak:  144.85M

*Current Build* GPU Time: 01:05.31    | Mem:142.06M  Peak: 142.06M  

*Previous Build* GPU Time: 01:05.70   |  Mem: 142.06M   Peak: 142.06M

edited January 2019

@spydurhank I did the Koro benchmark today using those nifty settings you detailed and added a note to which version I was using.  This is the reg build.  I tried it first with Filmer and it got almost done then threw a CUDA error.  I tried it 2 more times and it did it immediately??  I have restarted since then and just did this one but will append this post with the Filmer info later.  

On a related note, this is a weird project.  It has a transparent background and for some reason it printed the details on a separate layer that had to be composite in Hitfilm then exported??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oaefph5tfwn095a/Koro composite.png?dl=0

Edit:  It failed again.  I thought this might give more info that you'd want:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8zgl1qnw3qkfdt/Filmer Koro.PNG?dl=0

• WVgiantWVgiant Website User Posts: 17 Just Starting Out
    edited January 2019

I am in the middle of building a new desktop specifically for photo editing, all aspects of video post, and animation. The rest of the parts should be here by the end of the week. It's going to be a beast. Specs:

i9 7940X 14 core 3.1GHz, probably will overclock a little

128GB RAM DDR4-2666

2 x 1080 Ti 11GB GPU

3 x 1TB 970 Pro M2 PCIe (1 for OS, 1 for scratch, 1 for oft used files)

2 x 4TB internal HDD

I would be interested in taking part in the testing if the offer is still open.

@WVgiant ,

Hi

Send me an email after you machine is built at,

[email protected] and Title it "Filmer Beta tester"

Frank

In a day or so... Filmer + Dithered Sobol + Optix Artifiicial Intelligence Denoiser.

Filmer with a tiny speed boost compared to my previous build, only really noticable when rendering at higher samples. I also added a Dithered Sobol option in advanced render settings.  

The Dithered Sobol option can in some cases speed up render times to a great degree, more testing needed here though to know for sure. It maintains detail better than sobol and correlated multi jitter when denoising. This means we can use much lower render samples while denoising. The only problem is that the built in Blender denoiser almost doubles render times. Enter the Nvidia Optix AI denoiser in Filmer. Link in video.

edited February 2019

Sorry for posting this here but figured since the blender users are here or watching the progress of the source code. There is a contest running on Artstation with the first and second place prizes quite tasty! First place includes an Nvidia quadro RTX 6000 and a HP workstation pc and 27" monitor. There is three different categories you could enter.  Here is the link to the info and again I apologize Frank and if you want, this post can be moved https://magazine.artstation.com/2019/01/nvidia-metropia-2042-challenge/  

• WVgiantWVgiant Website User Posts: 17 Just Starting Out

Finished the new computer today. My first try with the BMW, no changes to anything in today's blender beta:

CPU render file: 2:14.87, mem:144.77 peak:145.71

GPU render file: 0:48.78, mem:142.07 peak:142.07

Waiting for the beta, will post once it's running.

Tried fishy cat and got: 0:32.25 mem:442.26 peak: 443.20.

Classroom GPU 6:35.35 mem:300.80 peak:302.40

Not sure how to tell when it's CPU or GPU but will look for the vid referenced above.

edited February 2019

No problem @FlyingBanana78

@WVgiant I'll send you an email with a code later today as I've got a new Filmer build that I made last night with new features and still need to do some bug testing and screencap a video for all you guys. I won't start on that till later in the morning, maybe around 5:00am-ish but it will be short and sweet. I just woke up to get a drink of water and going back to bed in a bit.  

I won't spend too much time on the video because I have an idea about using the new release of Imerge to texture a 3D object. They just added 16bit exr and hdr image support which is right up my alley for texture formats. Not sure how it will go as there are no brushes in Imerge but they do have some really awesome mask features that should do the trick.     

You've got a rendering monster machine there, I like it very much, it sounds very powerful. Just one thing, not out of fear but I don't overclock nor do I recommend it with my Filmer builds as they already leverage all of your cpu cores and gpu Cuda cores which will produce some heat. My graphics cards are pretty old and I got a ton of very heavy use from them when I was texturing and baking textures for 3D objects at 32bit and 32k before I switched to 16bit at 16k. Your graphics cards are new so if you've got very good ventilation and cooling for your processor and graphics cards then you should be okay. For now it is better to get a baseline reading/benchmarks from your hardware at stock settings and later you can overclock.

EDIT:

Dang, woke up late. Sorry guys give me a bit of time and I'll have the new Filmer build and video ready. 

Here is the new video and Filmer build release.

Testing out latest build of Filmer with Enhanced Cycles Rendering and new Dithered Sobol, Auto Scrambling Distance, Auto Tiles size and Remington Graphics Optix AI Denoiser addon. Plus a few tricks to get even faster renders.

Early release Filmer beta  https://www.owmycgi.net/product-page/filmer-beta

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,008 Ambassador
    edited February 2019

Frank, just so you know, I've been quite ill the last two weeks and haven't really done anything on my actual computer. Not quite better yet, but almost feeling human again. But, I'm actually about to download the  Blender 2.8 Beta and actually get you my email addy. I'll grab that BMW render for first tests.

Can I say that what you've been doing has had me intrigued enough to want to finally crack down and get good with Blender, but the recent "Crash Tutorial Blender 2.8" tutorial by Tobias at Surfaced Studio actually got me excited. Looks like 2.8 has thrown out a lot of the crap interface design that's made Blender such a pain for so many people while keeping enough of the same look and feel where old Blender hands aren't going to go insane from the changes.