WHITE NOISE! shshshshshshshshshsh

I've having a problem with white noise in my videos.
as can be seen here:
Clones in conflict EP 1
I think it's a tiny bit better here
Clones in conflict EP 2
and a little better still here
Clones in conflict EP 3
is there anything I else I can do?
I have magic lantern on my camera, a RODE video mic pro, what settings do you pro's go with?
also, help a fellow youtuber out and comment, like, and subscribe if you like what you see...

Comments

• duffmanduffman Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 235 Enthusiast
    I only watched the first one.
    Might want to try cutting/lowering the input gain when recording and moving the mic closer to the audio source.
    Use HitFilms volume envelopes. Where there is no dialogue draw in volume evolutions dropping the audio track volume to cut the white noise hiss.
    If you are using Vegas it comes with some decent DX plugin tools for cleaning up audio.
    Duff
  • CookedCatProductionsCookedCatProductions Website User Posts: 52
    ok.. I think it gets better on the thrid one cause I played with the gain and all....
    ok, volume envelopes... ok...
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Yeah, volume envelopes will help in dealing with the problem, but ideally you would be recording cleaner audio to begin with. Is there an auto gain function in effect here, while you are recording? Or is the mic just a long ways from the actors, and cranked way up?
  • KeeganKeegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
    Sounds like your audio is dipping into the noise floor. Increasing you mic sensitivity or getting closer to the mic could help. Also, if your mic is a condenser mic (or 'capacitor mic' if you're not in America) then it requires phantom power (+18V in the film world, I think). Boosting the gain post-recording will also boost the noise. White noise is equal energy spread out across all frequencies, so no amount of EQing will completely erase the problem. Additionally, white-noise cancelling plugins can create some strange masking that is really jarring.
    Long story short, make sure you are recording at a good reference level to avoid excess noise in your sound channel.
  • guitar74guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
    I'm sure it is the audio being turned up to high, but the audio reminds me of a MP3 at low quality.. Play with the audio like everyone is suggesting. Good luck!
  • CookedCatProductionsCookedCatProductions Website User Posts: 52
    ok, thanks guys. :D
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    If you can't eliminate the noise in the source recording, don't forget to run your audio through something like Audacity and apply a noise removal filter and a normalise to get the volume evened out.