Null_Unit's VFX Thread

Comments

• CalebK
    CalebK Posts: 435
    Wow i couldn't even begin to render the project file.... is their a way i can see most of the effect without killing my computer? Im on quarter render.  Also would you be ok if i used this ball as an object/projectile in movies? Of course i would  change something on it so i wasn't completely copying... and id give you credit.
    Thankyou so much for the breakdown... maybe its the add feature that makes yours look so epic!
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,529 Ambassador
    I'm actually having issues opening the file, myself--It's crashing on me because of the missing music--oddly enough I have the track....Elsewhere.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Yeah, that's a pretty intense atomic effect. Lowering the number of particles and/or turning off motion blur makes it render faster, obviously, for anybody struggling.
  • Triem23
    Yeah, this one's a modification of your Experiment #15....
    The NEXT one will add some more stuff....
    http://youtu.be/suvpHWsq4A0
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 478
    What type of computer are you running :S....
    Took a bit to try and adjust all the settings down to something manageable.  Picked up some really useful techniques you used.  Thank you very much for sharing your project file!
    Motion blur just brings my computer to a crawl lol....
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2014
    Wow i couldn't even begin to render the project file.... is their a way i can see most of the effect without killing my computer? Im on quarter render.  Also would you be ok if i used this ball as an object/projectile in movies? Of course i would  change something on it so i wasn't completely copying... and id give you credit.
    Thankyou so much for the breakdown... maybe its the add feature that makes yours look so epic!

Yeah, that's a pretty intense atomic effect. Lowering the number of particles and/or turning off motion blur makes it render faster, obviously, for anybody struggling.

What type of computer are you running :S....
    Took a bit to try and adjust all the settings down to something manageable.  Picked up some really useful techniques you used.  Thank you very much for sharing your project file!
    Motion blur just brings my computer to a crawl lol....

Ah, this is actually helpful for me to make a tutorial. I didn't realize I wasn't talking about this part of my technique. I'm actually running a fairly old computer and I really need to get a new one. I'm running dual core 3 ghz processor, 4 gigs of ram and a radion 6670 with 1 gig ram.
    I start out with no motion blur. That bogs down the computer big time. I also don't use the gradient with lens dirt or what ever effects on it until the end. Atomic Particles runs well, even with a lot of particles without motion blur, so I do all my construction in that mode. Then when I think Ive got something cool looking I will turn on motion blur. I like the custom settings, but they will double your render time. For this effect, on my computer, the comp motion blur render time was 3 or 4 hours. With the custom settings it was 9 hours. But, it all depends on what the effect is doing. Experiment 10 uses custom motion blur and that took about 3 hours to render because there were not a lot of particles. So, my computer does bog down a lot during playback, but I can get a sense of what the motion blur will do to the effect. When I play this effect I get to see a frame about every 5 seconds. With this one, more than the others, I did the 3 hour render not quit knowing what it would ultimately look like.
    (Thats basically how I do everything in HitFilm. I turn everything off, except what I'm working on and then turn on different pieces for reference)
  • Triem23
    http://youtu.be/qilltxYYzVE
    Of potential intetest: the source plane for the atomic particles is and animated fire plane with keyframing for hue. So the color source for the particles themselves are fractal animation.
    I tried a spherical environment map, and, instead of rotating the particles via a point, I parented the camera to a point at 0, 0,0 and rotated the camera around the particles.
    There's a lot of camera position and focal length changes--I slid the camera in and out on it's Z-axis and altered the zoom. Putting the camera in the atomic cloud and zooming to a ridiculous low number, like 5, is stolen from Simon Jones's "Slit-scan" test.
  • NullUnit
    Here is a simple ambient background type of thing. It's made with atomic particles and uses audio interaction.
    https://vimeo.com/89256114
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert
    These tests are great!  :) 
  • OrangePekoe
    Null, do you know if it's possible to add a texture to the particles using atomic particles similar to what can be done with the particle simulator?
    Your recent video has a very organic feel to it, it reminds me of fireflys.
  • NullUnit
    These tests are great!  :)

Thanks!

Null, do you know if it's possible to add a texture to the particles using atomic particles similar to what can be done with the particle simulator?
    Your recent video has a very organic feel to it, it reminds me of fireflys.
    Thanks!
    You definitely can. Its in the Particle Appearance setting. First you set the Shape setting to Layer and then the Source setting to the layer that has the texture you want to use. 
  • Triem23
    Experiment 16 looks great! Very serene!
    OP, you can use an animated texture source for atomic as Null noted. Your limitations are that atomic has a maximum particle size of 100, and atomic particles always billboard, but if you look on the Movie Wall, Axel Wilkenson did a Walter Mittty-esque "birds forming face" test using animated atomic particles, and I did a quick test using atomic particles to make 400 clones of a dancing girl.
  • OrangePekoe

Thanks!

Thanks!
    You definitely can. Its in the Particle Appearance setting. First you set the Shape setting to Layer and then the Source setting to the layer that has the texture you want to use. 

Excellent!  Thank you!

Experiment 16 looks great! Very serene!
    OP, you can use an animated texture source for atomic as Null noted. Your limitations are that atomic has a maximum particle size of 100, and atomic particles always billboard, but if you look on the Movie Wall, Axel Wilkenson did a Walter Mittty-esque "birds forming face" test using animated atomic particles, and I did a quick test using atomic particles to make 400 clones of a dancing girl.

What do you mean by billboard?  The dancing clones looked quite good, it's similar to what I have in mind...  soo many techniques to play with >.<
  • NullUnit

Excellent!  Thank you!

What do you mean by billboard?  The dancing clones looked quite good, it's similar to what I have in mind...  soo many techniques to play with >.<

He means that the texture will always face the camera, even if you are rotating the camera around the effect.

• Triem23
    [quote name="Orange Pekoe" post="40431" timestamp="1395159234"]
    Excellent!  What do you mean by billboard?  The dancing clones looked quite good, it's similar to what I have in mind...  soo many techniques to play with >.
    @OP, I get to tease you for a moment. You're a master of the particle system, surely you've noticed the "billboard" checkbox in the "Particle System >Appearance" group? ;-)
    Yeah, as Null said, billboarding auto-rotates an element to face the camera. In the main particle sim you can toggle billboarding off, but in Atomic, you can't. You can also set 3D layers to billboard--which can be useful for many animations.
    @Null: in experiment 16 the red background. Is that just a gradient on a 3D plane set back away from the camera and scaled up? It looks like it's getting parallax, but that could be an illusion from the moving particles.
  • OrangePekoe
    [quote name="Orange Pekoe" post="40431" timestamp="1395159234"]
    Excellent!  What do you mean by billboard?  The dancing clones looked quite good, it's similar to what I have in mind...  soo many techniques to play with >.
    @OP, I get to tease you for a moment. You're a master of the particle system, surely you've noticed the "billboard" checkbox in the "Particle System >Appearance" group? ;-)
    Yeah, as Null said, billboarding auto-rotates an element to face the camera. In the main particle sim you can toggle billboarding off, but in Atomic, you can't. You can also set 3D layers to billboard--which can be useful for many animations.
    @Null: in experiment 16 the red background. Is that just a gradient on a 3D plane set back away from the camera and scaled up? It looks like it's getting parallax, but that could be an illusion from the moving particles.

Haha!  Of course I went and checked it out right after reading this lol...  For whatever reason I just hadn't played with or noticed that setting which is odd cause I just can't put the particle simulator down hahaha!
    Thanks Triem and Null for the explanation! 

• NullUnit

Yep, its just a 2d plane with a subtle circle grade.

• NullUnit

New atomic particles experiment. Kind of looks like a space portal.
    https://vimeo.com/90135565

• spydurhank
    So awesome, great job Null Unit. Pretty amazing.  :) 
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited March 2014
    New atomic particles experiment. Kind of looks like a space portal.

Heh- I thought it looked like a "null unit" of some kind. :)
    Great job!

• NullUnit
    Ok here it is, my first tutorial. Hopefully its actually helpful...
    https://vimeo.com/91597443
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    Awesome! Thanks! I'm going to be playing with this effect quite a bit.
  • NullUnit
  • ivanhurba
    ivanhurba Posts: 26 Just Starting Out*
    Null Unit, I just saw this and totally thought about your tutorial! The Ryu teaser for Street Fighter in Machinima. 
  • spydurhank
    Awesome, thanks for posting. :)
  • NullUnit
    edited April 2014
    Null Unit, I just saw this and totally thought about your tutorial! The Ryu teaser for Street Fighter in Machinima. 

Nice! I've seen that, but not for a long time. I didn't realize that the energy balls looked so similar. The funny thing is that I did mention that I played Street Fighter 2 obsessively with my friends back in the 1990's in the tutorial, but I edited it out. 

Awesome, thanks for posting. :)

No problem, thanks!
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the tips and tricks in atomic particles, Null Unit! As ES Pics said- I too will be playing with this effect especially after seeing your last experiment 19.
    Congrats on the tutorial recognition! :) 
  • NullUnit
    edited May 2014

*Edit. Took down link because youtubes compression looks terrible.