Null_Unit's VFX Thread

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 779 Just Starting Out
  • Nate066
    Nate066 Posts: 190 Just Starting Out*
    I haven't created much lately, as work has been completely insane for the last month (and will continue to be insane for a while longer), but I wanted to make a Halloween clip, so here it is:
    https://vimeo.com/77103483

Did you model and texture everthing in the scene?

• NullUnit
    Did you model and texture everthing in the scene?

The abandoned church is a free model that I found. The tombstones are photos of two 3 inch high toy tombstones that I have. I masked them, duplicated them and then made the planes 3d and placed them in the 3d space.

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,268 Staff
    Wahoo! Happy to see that the Halloween projects are starting to arrive :)
    Love your Happy Halloween clip - the way that you placed the models into the 3D plane worked really well. Personal opinion is that I would have left the eyes out, but I really liked the feel of it overall. 
    And WHAT THE HECK is that thing? Was this something you're sharing or something you created yourself? I was expecting something to jump out, but actually that's creepier....
  • NullUnit
    edited October 2013
    Wahoo! Happy to see that the Halloween projects are starting to arrive :)
    Love your Happy Halloween clip - the way that you placed the models into the 3D plane worked really well. Personal opinion is that I would have left the eyes out, but I really liked the feel of it overall. 
    And WHAT THE HECK is that thing? Was this something you're sharing or something you created yourself? I was expecting something to jump out, but actually that's creepier....

Thanks!
    Yep, I made that video. I actually made it for the "monster challenge" on filmriot. Its their current Monday challenge.
    My friend went to the end of the hallways and crawled up towards the camera a few times. Then I masked out parts of her body and combined two sets of her arms together. There was a clean image that I layered under the video. I'm glad you could see it. It was a struggle to get that balance of "hard to see and make out what it is" and not seeing it at all.  

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,617 Ambassador
    I don't know what that thing was but it was creepy good! I know I'll be up for days now. ;) 
  • NullUnit
    I fixed the video a bit so that the creature is more visible.
    https://vimeo.com/77463534
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 521 Just Starting Out
    Maybe add some distortion to the end of the clip to show that the camera stopped working properly rather than just telling.
  • NullUnit
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,191 Power User
    edited October 2013
    The distortion you added isn't working for me. When I see digital video files lock, stutter or corrupt in general, whether internet, hulu, dvd, blu-ray, or dv tape is more of a stutter. Heavy jagged edges where macroblocking jumps frames and color artifacts appear. I think, if you have time, try another version with the derez filter and, maybe some temporal stops or skip frames.
    Btw, this really is fantastic. It's so subtle in the frame, and such a clever way to set up a monster, and a really solid roto job, that it just looks very very real and genuine.
    If the Film Riot squad like it as much as I do you could win a lil sumpthin-sumpthin'. :-)
  • NullUnit
    Thanks! Yeah, the distortion is too smooth and doesnt work quit right. 
  • ESPictures
    Maybe freeze the image with lots of black areas and some blocky derez tooled areas.
  • NullUnit
    edited November 2013
    Some fun with Atomic Particles, Anamorphic Lens Flare  and Lens Dirt.
    https://vimeo.com/78804588
  • NullUnit
    edited November 2013
    More work on compositing models into the real world. Getting more into using the distance fog effect. I wish that effect were a little easier to access. 
    https://vimeo.com/79544122
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,156 Expert
    Nice job Null Unit. That looks really good.  :) 
  • ESPictures
    Cool.
    Batkid will take care of that UFO problem.  heh
  • RodyPolis
    RodyPolis Posts: 610 Just Starting Out*
    That UFO shot looks pretty cool! What stuck out to me was that the edge of the 3D model was too soft to be believable in that scene. Every other object in the scene had hard edges, so the soft edge really kills the realism a bit.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,617 Ambassador
    Did you use the video or still frame from the vid to create the reflection on the bottom?
    I mean- WOW! Where did you see that? Lucky you had your camera with you! :)
  • NullUnit
    Nice job Null Unit. That looks really good.  :)

Thanks!

Cool.
    Batkid will take care of that UFO problem.  heh

Yep, I'm sure he will!

That UFO shot looks pretty cool! What stuck out to me was that the edge of the 3D model was too soft to be believable in that scene. Every other object in the scene had hard edges, so the soft edge really kills the realism a bit.

Thanks! Interesting... I like to use Light Wrap on 3d models because it seems to help blend them into the scene, but I see what you mean by how it softens the edges. I'll try taking that effect off.

Did you use the video or still frame from the vid to create the reflection on the bottom?
    I mean- WOW! Where did you see that? Lucky you had your camera with you! :))

Initially I just used the video for the reflection, but you could tell the reflection was moving, so I switched to using a still of the background.
  • NullUnit
    So, I wanted to do a video for the Anamorphic filter contest and I thought that getting a lot of sun into the lens would be a good start for adding the effect. Well, I got way too much sun for the effect, but I like the way the video looks anyway, so I posted it (not for the contest, of course). I color graded with the Cine Style effect.
     https://vimeo.com/79589337
  • That was a good way to use the Anamorphic Filter Null Unit.
    Good luck :)
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,370 Enthusiast
    Null - for light wrap, try having quite a large radius but a low opacity. That way you get the effect but without it softening the edges as much.
    Also, do you have a link to the temple 3D model you used a few pages back? I'm trying to find something similar to use in an upcoming tutorial and am not having much luck.
  • NullUnit
    That was a good way to use the Anamorphic Filter Null Unit.
    Good luck :)

Oh, I should clarify better. I didn't end up using the Anamorphic effect on the sunset video because I got so much light into the camera that when I would add Anamorphic it would totally blow out the image, even when I turned the threshold all the way up.
  • NullUnit
    edited November 2013
    Null - for light wrap, try having quite a large radius but a low opacity. That way you get the effect but without it softening the edges as much.
    Also, do you have a link to the temple 3D model you used a few pages back? I'm trying to find something similar to use in an upcoming tutorial and am not having much luck.

Ah cool, I'll try that with the light wrap.
    Here is the link to that model. The sites a bit cluttered, its the blue download button:
    http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/rotunda-85204.html
  • ESPictures

If you need a simple model like a temple, I could probably make one for you fairly quickly if you can't find one you like.

• NullUnit
    edited December 2013
    Some ideas for an up coming short. Its not finished yet. Working on it.  
    https://vimeo.com/81988458
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,370 Enthusiast
    Looks great. Only real feedback I have at this point is that the yellow seems a little too bold and solid. Feels computer generated rather than something you might actually film.
  • NullUnit
    edited December 2013
    Looks great. Only real feedback I have at this point is that the yellow seems a little too bold and solid. Feels computer generated rather than something you might actually film.

The funny thing is that I do want the effect to look digital, but in a better way than the previous attempt. Here is an updated look. I changed the colors and added some Derez effect. Any suggestions from anyone? I'm doing a Tron short (based on the 1980's film), but I want to depict things that haven't been seen in the movie.
    https://vimeo.com/82072395

• ESPictures
    The second one does look much better, I think.  Although, I might try it with the sphere derezed and the particles not and see what it looks like.  Or have the particles derez as they approach the sphere.