Null_Unit's VFX Thread

NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
Well, I guess I should finally make a thread to post my stuff in instead of making new threads for each one. Here is my latest short. Sort of playing with the modern movie trailer style and and the old classic non-modern style of 2001: a space odyssey.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Still loving that film reel ident of yours. So very, very classy.
    This is really cool. I like the simplicity and ominous tone. Though I'd actually say that your perhaps should have just held on that one main shot, continuing to pull back. Maybe add more layers of monoliths, or have them wrap all the way around the planet or something. Basically make that shot as perfect as it can be, and make the teaser a single pull-back shot.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out

Still loving that film reel ident of yours. So very, very classy.
    This is really cool. I like the simplicity and ominous tone. Though I'd actually say that your perhaps should have just held on that one main shot, continuing to pull back. Maybe add more layers of monoliths, or have them wrap all the way around the planet or something. Basically make that shot as perfect as it can be, and make the teaser a single pull-back shot.
    Thanks!
    The funny thing is, that was exactly what I had done originally: The single shot that pulls back and slowly reveals all the monoliths. I wanted to start doing more multi-camera shots so, I broke it up with some edits but, I always had the single shot nagging me in the back of my head. Well, that settles it. I'm going back to the single shot.
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the mention in the Community Round-Up!
    Ok, I've updated the monolith short. I was going back to it being a single shot but, I felt like it needed one edit. So, I compromised and one of the cut away shots is still in. I also added more monoliths (monoli?) so that they are covering the Earth completely.
    I'm beginning work on my first official short film. It will be a fan film for one of my all time favorite movies and will be based on the older classic version rather than the new updated sequel...
    Here is a short where I'm working on compositing 3d models into real footage. I used Simons tutorial on importing 3d models as my guide. I didn't want to deal with planar tracking at this point so, the shot is static and then I gave it a hand held feel after the fact with the shake effect. I didnt completely over-use the Lens Dirt effect this time and there is some lens flare on the engine of the ship.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Nice flyby!
    I also just re-watched your revised monolith video and had a few suggestions:
    - I STILL think that a single shot would be more effective. The alternative angle detracts from the video, in my opinion.
    - To give more variety, how about in the 2nd half the camera then starts to slowly tilt up. That way you could see the horizon of the planet, and give a different angle on the monoliths etc, but without having to actually cut to a different shot. Would give you an opportunity to maybe have some stars/sun/etc, but you could still do it all in one shot.
    - I don't like the way the text fades in, especially with the drop shadow. Doesn't feel as classy as the actual visuals. I'd suggest maybe making a hard cut to black (no transition) with the white titles in place. That would feel more punchy, which would be in line with the ominous threat of the MONOLITHS.
    Ok, I'll give that a try!
    The Monolith video is updated and replaced. The same link above works. Now its a single shot that then fades to the title. I like it this way, the one shot doesn't feel like it goes on too long.
    Definitely more powerful with the single shot, I reckon.
    Is the spaceship fly-by part of a larger project, or just an isolated test?
    Yeah, I do like it better as a single shot.
    The Mother Ship shot is a test working towards a narrative short. Though the short will be an unrelated fan film. I'm mostly learning how I want to do a shot that will use a 3d model in real footage. I want to begin shooting soon and I think I may skip using 3d planar tracking since I havent learned it that well yet. I'm thinking that I'll get around it by using static shots from different angles and then use cuts to make the action happen. And use the shake effect to give the shots motion. I'm also thinking about shooting in 1080 and then rendering in 720 so that I can zoom in move the virtual camera around inside a shot without losing quality. I'll post a test of that soon. I just watched the documentary about how they did the effects in Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula and I'm inspired to use HitFilm to accomplish some old school style effects.
    Here's my take on the Procedural Fractal Wipe.
    Nice, I could imagine that version being used to do some cool, atmospheric titles.
    edited March 2013
    Indeed...

Inspired by The Things opening titles, of course.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Nicely executed! Looks pro.
    I was playing around with the panoramic photo technique:
    Love the Horror title. Works very nicely indeed.
    The camera on your panoramic photo seems a little wide - makes the photo feel too fisheye. Try zooming in a bit with the camera lens for a more natural feel.
    Lighting on the TIE fighter works well, though. 'Tis nicely composited.
    Thanks!
    Ah, zooming in, ok. I wasnt sure how to fix that. Most of the panoramas that Ive downloaded look too wide.
    Zooming in with the camera controls did help the wide angle problem a lot. Why is it that on these panoramic shots, if I move the camera via the buttons on the view screen I can move the camera around freely but, in the control panel for the camera if I use the mouse to change the values the camera doesn't move?
    Yeah that looks more natural. Be good to see a faster fly-by - don't forget to turn on motion blur for the env map.
    You can't move position around an environment map because there's no actual 3D positioning to move around inside - it's just an image mapped to an infinity sphere around the camera. So you can orbit and pan around, but if you just try to translate on XYZ nothing will appear to happen.
    I did turn on the motion blur for the environment map but, couldnt see any result. I turned it on with the check box on the timeline with the image/environment map layer selected. Is that the one to use?
    Yep, the flyby is slow and floaty. I was concentrating on the compositing so I wanted to watch how the model was effected by the lighting and light wrap.
    This panorama method is really tempting for me to use in a shot for an upcoming fan film Im doing. It was a nice coincidence you did a tutorial on it. I think Im going to build my own custom panorama for the shot, though. Shouldnt be too hard because its only going to be about 180 degrees. I feel like I'll have more control over the shot than if I used tracking, which would be better for this specific shot.
    Video coming soon.
    8555760355_c108774d28.jpg

experiment 3 by jrwuopio, on Flickr

Well, that only took about 6 hours to render. But, thats becasue my computer is on the low end of the specs for hitfilm.
    I wanted to play around with atomic particles a bit in preperation for an upcoming project. Intersting things I noticed: When you turn on motion blur and depth of field in atomic particles it really ties everything together and makes it feel like a solid(ish) object.
    https://vimeo.com/61789165
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    I really enjoyed how this turned out!  The fluidity of the effect gives it a very organic feel at times.  Great work!
    I really enjoyed how this turned out!  The fluidity of the effect gives it a very organic feel at times.  Great work!

Thanks! Yeah, Its making me realize that atomic particles could potentially be used to create fire and smoke.

Fantastic stuff! Yes, atomic particles does have potential for some organic smoke/fire/cloth uses. I'd love to see somebody experiment more in that direction.
    With a bit of work and this applied to an image of a flag, you could probably create quite a cool flag-flapping-in-the-wind type effect to composite into a shot.
    For sure, it does have the look of fabric. It kind of reminds me of the floaty wispy fabric around the first ghost in the library from Ghost Busters or that white monster ghost from Poltergeist.
  • ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    I was thinking of doing something like that to wrap around an object as a forcefield.
    I was thinking of doing something like that to wrap around an object as a forcefield.

Absolutley. Something worth trying (I haven't yet but, Im going to soon) is using "non-musical" sound to influence the particles. A humming or rythmic sound that would cause the particles to move in a somewhat consistant way. I think this would be a good way to create beam weapons or forcefields. The cool thing is that you could then use that sound in your final audio mix and the particles and sound would move together.

• ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, this week I've been doing a lot of foley work since I'm close to having an animation finish rendering.  So I've been putting a microphone to the bathroom ceiling fan, banging on the porch railing with an old boot and recording it, and generally just making weird noises with my mouth into the mic.  Everyone probably thinks I'm nuts. :D

But the second episode of the animation I'm doing now has a sci-fi looking motorcycle that's going to ram through a barricade.  I was thinking of having a forcefield of atomic particles coat the motorcycle in something of that manner. 
    It'd be pretty simple to take a rhymic sound like for the motorcycle engine hum and attune the atomic particles to that.