Exporting AVIs that are far too large......

I'm really stuck. I'm exporting my vids as avis and they are about 12 GB each in size. Now, i'm not talking about full length movies; my vids are 2 minute vids with no special effects. Im really confused as some other vids i export as avis are longer and include lots more composite shots, however these are much smaller in size, some even under 1GB.
Any assistance will be really appreciated.

Comments

• rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 960 Just Starting Out
    AVI's from HF should be uncompressed, so any videos with the same frame count/length, frame size and bit depth should be about the same file size. Are you sure you're comparing videos that are the same frame size? For example, DV AVI's will be much smaller than HD AVI's.
    The number of composite shots or effects used shouldn't effect the size of an uncompressed AVI.
    Richard.
  • Newhit
    Newhit Posts: 12
    Hi,
    Many thanks for your response.
    Sorry, I know I'm sort of a novice at this stuff, but what is a hd AVI and a dv AVI? I have shot all the vids using the same hd vid camera but some have been exported in mb while others in the region of 22GB (I can't even burn them onto a DVD!).I have also made sure they are all uncompressed. Any help right now is greatly appreciated.
  • Newhit
    Maybe I should also mention that all the editing is taking place on the same computer.
    Many thanks.
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,659 Enthusiast
    The AVI's HitFilm exports are all uncompressed, which maintains the highest quality possible, but you only would want that kind of video files for editing. So if you're exchanging videos between separate programs like HitFilm and Sony Vegas, you'd render them uncompressed or another codec that maintains high quality. The downside is that those files get huge, so they can't be used for delivery - as you said, they almost never fit on a dvd. If you want to export videos so they can be viewed and passed around, you want to render them to something like an mp4 file with H.264 codec, that's the other option HitFilm offers. H.264 is especially designed for delivery, it compresses the video so that it gets quite small, while maintaining a high enough quality for viewing it - but you'd want to stay away from it as long as you're editing, because with everytime you render the file and then edit it again, you lose quality, and that stacks up.
  • Newhit
    Many thanks Robin. Only problem is is that I don't have an mp4 DVD burner. My DVD burner doesn't burn mp4.
    Any advice?
  • Newhit
    Also, I've burnt longer vids that have been shot on the same camera that have taken less GB? Is that normal?
    Many thanks for all your help.
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,659 Enthusiast
    The programs from DVDVideoSoft do a pretty great job of converting anything to anything, they also can burn to DVD - just google "Free DVD Video Burner" :)
    Those longer vids, did you also render them in HitFilm? If yes that would not be normal. But if not that's nothing to worry about, there are several codecs for avi videos that support compression, HitFilm just doesn't support them for export.
  • Newhit
    Hi,
    Thanks v much for your help. Yes I did render the longer ones in hitfilm