DasCalver
DasCalver Posts: 18 Just Starting Out
Why can't HitFilm read .otf font files?

Comments

• Ady
    Ady Posts: 1,531 Enthusiast

Why can't HitFilm read .otf font files?
    Hi,
    HitFilm currently only supports TTF (True Type) fonts, OTF (Open Type) are not currently supported. This might be something we add support to in the future.
    Thanks,
    Ady
  • TVPowers
    TVPowers Posts: 9
    edited July 2015
    This would be a big help. Additionally, it seems like many of my TTF don't seem to be supported. Does it make a difference how they're installed? (Meaning do they need to be install directly to the main font library or via shortcuts, as Windows allows for all my other software.)
  • RodyPolis
    RodyPolis Posts: 610 Just Starting Out*
    Support for more fonts would definitely be a big plus. I always end up having to do my titles in Photoshop and then bring them in Hitfilm.
  • Ady
    This would be a big help. Additionally, it seems like many of my TTF don't seem to be supported. Does it make a difference how they're installed? (Meaning do they need to be install directly to the main font library or via shortcuts, as Windows allows for all my other software.)

Hi,
    HitFilm populates the Font list via the main Windows Font directory, if the Fonts are not found there they will not load in the program. If you are still experiencing problems, please let me know which Fonts you are using & I'll take a look at it for you.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• TVPowers
    Well, that covers a lot of ground. Of the close to 400 fonts I have installed (I own thousands, coming from DTP) at least half of them don't seem to be recognized in Hit Film Express, although thus far they all work just fine in Movie Studio Platinum (I purchased Movie Studio Platinum Visual Effects Suite) and every other program I have that uses fonts..
    Let's start with a fairly simple and common one: Arial Rounded MT Bold.  
    My suspicion is that since many of the fonts were installed via Bitstream Font Navigator, rather than directly through the Fonts Directory in Control Panel, it might have a bearing on the problem.
  • Ady
    edited July 2013
    Well, that covers a lot of ground. Of the close to 400 fonts I have installed (I own thousands, coming from DTP) at least half of them don't seem to be recognized in Hit Film Express, although thus far they all work just fine in Movie Studio Platinum (I purchased Movie Studio Platinum Visual Effects Suite) and every other program I have that uses fonts..
    Let's start with a fairly simple and common one: Arial Rounded MT Bold.  
    My suspicion is that since many of the fonts were installed via Bitstream Font Navigator, rather than directly through the Fonts Directory in Control Panel, it might have a bearing on the problem.

Hi,
    Bitstream activates/deactivates fonts (that are not in the Windows\Fonts directory) by manipulating Windows internals. This is possibly why some fonts don't work for you.
    I have downloaded the Arial Rounded MT Bold font & installed it to the Font Directory & it shows correctly in HitFilm. I have attached a screenshot.
    Thanks,
    Ady
    [attachment=606:Arial Rounded MT Bold Font.png]

• TVPowers

Okay. So I un-installed Arial Rounded MT Bold, re-installed it direct to the Font Directory. When I tried to click on it in the text editor, Hitfilm crashed, and sent a  report to FXHome.
    Un-Installed the font,  re-installed it. restarted the computer , and now HitFilm's text editor can't 'find' it at all, although every other program that uses fonts on my computer has no problem finding it and using it.
    Many of my other fonts installed directly to Window's Font Directory don't seem to be usable, either. Just the default font is displayed when I try to use them. (I've also un-installed and re-installed HitFilm Express, in case that was an issue.)
    This would appear to indicate that the problem lies with HitFilm's font handling.  I suggest that this area of the software needs further thought and refinement, as it seems to respond somewhat idiosyncratically  -- certainly differently than other video editors I have used. 
    I can't explain why a particular font should work for some users, and not for others. One would hope any issues would be uniform and predictable across the board.
    You may also want to consider adding functions such as creating bold and italic weights for Fonts internally (as opposed to fonts designed as such). Open Type Fonts are likely to become much more prevalent in the future, so that would also be a good Feature to add. 
    I suspect I'm going to have rely on Movie Studio Platinum or import alpha-channel files from my other graphic programs to work with titles, which is really rather disappointing.
    I hope I'm not coming across as unduly harsh or nit-picking. I know trying to diagnose a software problem long distance is a difficult thing.
  • TVPowers
    I should note that the font (previously to being removed and re-installed) SHOWED in HitFilm's text editor as a font, it just couldn't be used -- a default font (possibly Tahoma) appeared rather that the desired font. This is also the case for the other fonts; they're listed as choice, but when I try to use them, the ttile text changes to the default font.
    Since the the re-instalation, the Airal Rounded font no longer shows as a font choice in HitFilm Express.
  • Ady
    edited July 2013
    Okay. So I un-installed Arial Rounded MT Bold, re-installed it direct to the Font Directory. When I tried to click on it in the text editor, Hitfilm crashed, and sent a report to FXHome.
    Un-Installed the font, re-installed it. restarted the computer , and now HitFilm's text editor can't 'find' it at all, although every other program that uses fonts on my computer has no problem finding it and using it.
    Many of my other fonts installed directly to Window's Font Directory don't seem to be usable, either. Just the default font is displayed when I try to use them. (I've also un-installed and re-installed HitFilm Express, in case that was an issue.)
    This would appear to indicate that the problem lies with HitFilm's font handling. I suggest that this area of the software needs further thought and refinement, as it seems to respond somewhat idiosyncratically -- certainly differently than other video editors I have used.
    I can't explain why a particular font should work for some users, and not for others. One would hope any issues would be uniform and predictable across the board.
    You may also want to consider adding functions such as creating bold and italic weights for Fonts internally (as opposed to fonts designed as such). Open Type Fonts are likely to become much more prevalent in the future, so that would also be a good Feature to add.
    I suspect I'm going to have rely on Movie Studio Platinum or import alpha-channel files from my other graphic programs to work with titles, which is really rather disappointing.
    I hope I'm not coming across as unduly harsh or nit-picking. I know trying to diagnose a software problem long distance is a difficult thing.
    Hi,
    I have had a look at the error report you've sent but unfortunately it's inconclusive as to what caused the error. So I'm not really sure what happened I'm afraid.
    When you say you un-installed the Font, how exactly did you achieve this?
    I have attached the Font that I have on my test machines to this reply, can you try installing this Font & see if it works.
    And no, you are not being harsh, we & indeed myself take all feedback seriously. I don't take things personally, and will do what I can to diagnose what's going on here.
    I should note that the font (previously to being removed and re-installed) SHOWED in HitFilm's text editor as a font, it just couldn't be used -- a default font (possibly Tahoma) appeared rather that the desired font. This is also the case for the other fonts; they're listed as choice, but when I try to use them, the ttile text changes to the default font.
    Since the the re-instalation, the Airal Rounded font no longer shows as a font choice in HitFilm Express.
    Is the Font disabled in the Fonts Directory? Also make sure you are closing down HitFilm before changing any Fonts.
    Thanks,
    Ady
  • TVPowers
    edited July 2013
    Hi,
    I have had a look at the error report you've sent but unfortunately it's inconclusive as to what caused the error. So I'm not really sure what happened I'm afraid.
    When you say you un-installed the Font, how exactly did you achieve this?
    I have attached the Font that I have on my test machines to this reply, can you try installing this Font & see if it works.
    And no, you are not being harsh, we & indeed myself take all feedback seriously. I don't take things personally, and will do what I can to diagnose what's going on here.

Is the Font disabled in the Fonts Directory? Also make sure you are closing down HitFilm before changing any Fonts.
    Thanks,
    Ady

I un-installed the font by going into the Windows Font Directory and using the delete option. I re-installed it by going to my separate Fonts Folder, opening the font, and using the Windows 7 "Install Font" option.
    It and other fonst have been un-installed and re-installed since. They're working fine in Movie Studio Platinum and other programs. (In fact, I'm using Arial Rounded in a MSP editing project at the moment with no trouble.) 
    When you say disabled in the Fonts Directory, are you referring to the Windows Font Directory?
    I'm not seeing any attachment to the above post.

• Ady
    I un-installed the font by going into the Windows Font Directory and using the delete option. I re-installed it by going to my separate Fonts Folder, opening the font, and using the Windows 7 "Install Font" option.
    It and other fonts have been un-installed and re-installed since. They're working fine in Movie Studio Platinum and other programs. (In fact, I'm using Arial Rounded in a MSP editing project at the moment with no trouble.) 
    When you say disabled in the Fonts Directory, are you referring to the Windows Font Directory?
    I'm not seeing any attachment to the above post.

Hi,
    Yes, I mean't the Windows Font directory.
    Sorry it appears the forums will not allow me to send you this file which is fairly understandable. 
    So I have enclosed this link where you can download it from.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• TVPowers
    edited July 2013

Hi,
    Yes, I mean't the Windows Font directory.
    Sorry it appears the forums will not allow me to send you this file which is fairly understandable. 
    So I have enclosed this link where you can download it from.
    Thanks,
    Ady

The font was not disabled at any time in the Windows Font Directory. It's available to  and functional in all programs save HiftFilm Express. I downloaded and installed the version of the font you linked to and the same problem persists.
    Thank you for your  efforts on this issue.

• Ady
    The font was not disabled at any time in the Windows Font Directory. It's available to  and functional in all programs save HiftFilm Express. I downloaded and installed the version of the font you linked to and the same problem persists.
    Thank you for your  efforts on this issue.

Ok, would you mind raising a Support Ticket
    Just makes things a bit easier when trying to diagnose / solve problems.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• TVPowers
    Okay, I've sent in a Support Ticket.
  • I'm using HitFilm Express and I can see all my fonts in the selector but certain fonts don't look the way they are supposed to when I type something into the text box using that font. 
  • laskop64
    laskop64 Posts: 16
    I apologize for the bump (I promise I'm not a negligent noob to forums, I at least searched first) but I wanted to back up supporting OpenType.  I recently added hundreds of fonts to my computer through SkyFonts to use in my videos and I would like to be able to use them in my composites.  My recent YouTube channel rebranding is reliant on certain ones now which means I can't create text-based composites for my channel.  I've saved the projects until a time when OpenType is supported.  This is pretty important since a lot of fonts these days are OTF.
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,373 Expert

I'll bump this thread just to get my vote in that this needs to be addressed IMO.

Hitfilm seems to be an OpenGL app and I know OpenGL is lacking text and HF is probably using some third party library for text support and thus Opentype support is not directly under HF developer control. There are libs out there that support OpenType/postscript and OpenType/truetype fonts. Not that those libs don't [email protected] their pants at times enumerating fonts incorrectly but I have found ways to work around that by editing font metadata. (my fun with Titler Pro and fonts (also OpenGL app))

OpenType/postscript, CFF as they call it, is the preferred delivery format for pretty much every font I have purchased from fonts.com and myfonts.com.

• I'll bump this thread just to get my vote in that this needs to be addressed IMO.

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador

Just a quick side note here:

If you download a font and it goes to your download folder or any other folder for that matter, did you know you can copy and paste it into the Control Panel's Windows Font folder directly? I'm not sure if the "downloaded through another program" fonts would do the same.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,466 Enthusiast

@walkermowers OpenType support was added to HitFilm 4 Pro in Update #4

https://hitfilm.com/software-update/hitfilm-4-pro

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,373 Expert
    edited March 2016

HF4 Update 4 does support Opentype fonts in both Truetype and Postscript flavors on Windows. However, the fonts must be copied to the \Windows\Fonts folder. Fonts installed and registered but not also copied to the fonts folder will show in the fonts list in Hitfilm but nothing happens when you select/use the font. What you get is some default font.

The Boris text effects in HF4 do not any restrictions on font installation that I have come across.