filming cameras

iso
iso Posts: 44
I finally have the money to buy a camera. I was looking around at Best Buy at some of their HD cameras but i didnt' know what to buy. can anybody give me any suggestions on some good cameras i could buy?

Comments

• Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    No one can just tell you a good camera to buy, you need to find one that's right for you. For us to help you with that, you need to provide information like this:
    What are you going to use it for?
    What's your budget?
    Do you want to be able to swap lenses?
    Do you care about manual functions?
    Etc.
  • +1
    I went for a Canon 5D MKII (used), but that was after a couple of months of research. It all depends on the above. Budget might be the primary limitation, so work from there.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    I bought a Canon 6D in December... amazing full frame DSLR... gonna pick up a BMCC in the next couple weeks.
  • I've shot with almost everything. I owned a feature film lab for many years ans still love film. Obviously that has gone the way of the dinosaur. I shot a feature on two 5d's. They are great for the price, and I think the best on the load and and ease of use for post. I recently did pick ups for another feature I shot using the 5d mark III. I blew the footage up to 3k and projected it through my 2k projector on a 20 foot screen. There were no artifacts, I added a slight sharpen but is held up. Truely amazing.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited April 2013
    What are you going to use it for?
    What's your budget?
    Do you want to be able to swap lenses?
    Do you care about manual functions?
    Etc.

Without answers to these questions, any answer you get will be based on others opinions and experiences.
    I personally would not recommend a DSLR to most people. I Personally shoot with a Canon HV20. I paid $100 for it and it easily comes close to, if not matches, that of footage I've seen/shot with a Canon T3i.
    It is all up to what you use it for and what functions you consider to be mandatory?
    Does the cam need a mic input? Do you want to get your audio directly from a mic plugged into your camera or do you want to buy an audio interface? Do you need XLR inputs?
    How important is shallow focus? Will you need interchangeable lenses?
    How important is low light capabilities to you? Will you be shooting in the dark? Or need infrared?
    How much do you want to spend? How much are you willing to spend? (Those are often different numbers)
    Does recording media matter to you? Or how about file format? What do you have to edit? Will it be compatible? Can it handle AVCHD files if you go AVCHD?
    There are hundreds more questions I could ask just like this, but I think you get the point. What do you want to do with your cam and what features will you need to do it?

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    Well for $1000 dollars you can get the black magic pocket camera. In July.