Images (Shapes) as planes

OrangePekoe
OrangePekoe Posts: 452 Just Starting Out*
Other than creating shapes using an assortment of planes, is there a way to import a given shape that will retain those same qualities rather than it being imported as a square/rectangle?

Comments

• Hendo
    Hendo Staff Posts: 160 Enthusiast
    I'm not sure I completely understand what you're after, but importing & exporting composite shots might help you.
    It sounds like you're wanting to create a 3D shape out of various planes (e.g. a cube), and then reuse that multiple times? If so, or if your problem is similar to that, then you can right-click the composite shot in the Media panel and choose 'Save As'.
    This lets you save the composite shot to an .hfcs file. Then later, in the same or a different project, you can import that .hfcs file by clicking the arrow next to the Import button (again in the Media panel) and choosing 'Composite Shot' from the popup menu.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    If you are thinking in terms of a 2D shape, rather than 3D (importing the shape of a person's silhouette, for example, without a rectangle of background surrounding it), then you want to look into alpha channels. Alpha channels can be saved into certain image formats, and allow you to control which parts of the image are opaque or transparent.
  • OrangePekoe

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're after, but importing & exporting composite shots might help you.
    It sounds like you're wanting to create a 3D shape out of various planes (e.g. a cube), and then reuse that multiple times? If so, or if your problem is similar to that, then you can right-click the composite shot in the Media panel and choose 'Save As'.
    This lets you save the composite shot to an .hfcs file. Then later, in the same or a different project, you can import that .hfcs file by clicking the arrow next to the Import button (again in the Media panel) and choosing 'Composite Shot' from the popup menu.
    Thanks for the reply, sorry I wasn't very clear.
    I'd like to create a plane that isn't square/rectangular in shape to be used as a 'deflector'.
    Lets say I want to import an image of the letter "S" with a transparent background. Upon importing the file, HitFilm recognizes the total pixel size of the image and therefore creates the "S" with the surrounding square. The "transparent" background is still a background when imported into HitFilm. Therefore, when reacting with the particle simulator the particles aren't limited to just the shape of the "S" but rather the entire square that makes up the image.
    Is there some way to only react with the "visible background" or importing a certain file type so this might work? Or some way of adjusting the bounding area so that the "deflector" area can be customized?
    [attachment=508:S-shape-deflector.PNG]
    Furthermore, I've noticed that when particles are reacting near the edge of a deflector, depending on the texture, it may extend beyond the deflector boundary. Is there any way to control this so that the texture doesn't extend beyond the deflector?
    [attachment=509:Particle Textures Outside Deflector.PNG]
    Thanks in advance!
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,659 Enthusiast

Is there some way to only react with the "visible background" or importing a certain file type so this might work? Or some way of adjusting the bounding area so that the "deflector" area can be customized?
    Not at the moment, the only way you can achieve this is by "puzzling" the shape out of multiple small rectangular planes, I guess.

Furthermore, I've noticed that when particles are reacting near the edge of a deflector, depending on the texture, it may extend beyond the deflector boundary. Is there any way to control this so that the texture doesn't extend beyond the deflector?
    That is also a technical restriction, because the collision detection doesn't work based on the texture but the center of the particle... Maybe we'll see improvements here in future version, would indeed be a good detail improvement.
  • OrangePekoe

Not at the moment, the only way you can achieve this is by "puzzling" the shape out of multiple small rectangular planes, I guess.
    Thanks Robin!
    I've done that in the past was just hoping someone else knew another way to save some time.

That is also a technical restriction, because the collision detection doesn't work based on the texture but the center of the particle... Maybe we'll see improvements here in future version, would indeed be a good detail improvement.
    I figured that is how the collision system worked, will have to come up with a work around for now.