Limitations in the way that 3D objects are handled

I have run into some serious limitations in the way that 3D objects are handled in HitFilm2 Ultimate. Here is my dilemma: I am creating a scene of the earth showing the orbit of an oceanographic data satellite for climate analysis. Since the scene must be as realistic as possible, the earth must have an atmosphere. But it is not possible to create a sphere with a Gaussian blur and have it reside in the same 3D container as the spheres for the clouds, land and ocean (see links below).
With Gausian blur atmosphere: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fb5zlil1lqsewhw/Earth - Boris Red.jpg
No atmosphere: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z78313ojfcxgcq/Earth - HitFilm.jpg
Using Boris Red, I had no problems doing this. However, Boris Red does not have the ability to import 3D models, it has a very limited particle engine, does not import tracking data, and is excessively slow. Being that I wish to use HitFilm as my main compositor, I would really like HitFilm to have a general 3D container, that can have within it other 3D containers or models, etc. Such a feature would solve this and many other problems.
Though I really love so many features of HitFilm, I am rather disappointed that currently I am not able to use it for several types of compositions that I have created in the past with other compositors. I really hope that the development team might consider correcting this limitation.
Peter

Comments

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,659 Enthusiast
    Well, for now as a workaround I would use some 3D effects to achieve a similar result.
    For example just a blue plane with a polar warp, parented to the earth model, with low transparency, a blur applied, and maybe some gradients or masks to make it darker in the areas not lit by the sun.
  • In my video, I move the camera position to the oposite side of the earth. Will this work-around handle the change in lighting considering the relative positions/hierarchy of the objects in the composite?
    Peter
  • Robin

In my video, I move the camera position to the oposite side of the earth. Will this work-around handle the change in lighting considering the relative positions/hierarchy of the objects in the composite?
    Peter
    Depends on how you set it up, it's probably not that easy... Manual animation is always an option, if an automatic solution seems to be way too much work, though.
  • As I had mentioned, other software products have solved this with general-purpose 3D containers where multiple 3D objects are all resolved together instead of each one being stand-alone (as is currently the case in HitFilm). Anyway, are there any plans to expand HitFilm's 3D capabilities in the future with regard to this issue?
    Peter
  • Robin
    Well, 3D models are in some kind of containers in HitFilm too - you can place multiple 3D models inside one layer so they are in the same 3D space. But you can't use 2D effects in there, so I guess that doesn't do much for you...