Camera View - Quick Zoom out function

OrangePekoe
OrangePekoe Posts: 452 Just Starting Out*
Hey everyone!
Starting to get back into things again and was curious if anyone knew of a faster way to zoom out from the scene when aligning 3D models / planes in a given space?
I'm currently using models that are extremely different in size and when using the "Top Down View" to view all objects at the same time, the current zoom out button or my mouse's wheel button takes forever. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    Could you use two separate top views, with one zoomed in and one zoomed out? So you can see both at the same time? Maybe you are already using all 4 views, but that's the first thing I would try. And even if you are already using 4 different views, then I'd keet the one set to Top view zoomed in, then pick one of the other views, switch it to Top, and zoom it out. Then, switch it back to whatever it originally was. Then, whenever you need to see the big-picture view, just switch that second View back to Top. The zoom level will be retained, so you can just switch it back and forth when needed.
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 452 Just Starting Out*

Could you use two separate top views, with one zoomed in and one zoomed out? So you can see both at the same time? Maybe you are already using all 4 views, but that's the first thing I would try. And even if you are already using 4 different views, then I'd keet the one set to Top view zoomed in, then pick one of the other views, switch it to Top, and zoom it out. Then, switch it back to whatever it originally was. Then, whenever you need to see the big-picture view, just switch that second View back to Top. The zoom level will be retained, so you can just switch it back and forth when needed.
    This could work, the only issue is that, in my particular case one of my models is a planet. The difference in sizes is so large that when I zoom out to a certain level, it appears to be not zooming out anymore even though it is.
    Therefore, even getting to the point of having a window set to being fully zoomed out could take an extremely large amount of time due to the size of the one model. There are ways around this so that from the active camera's perspective each model looks correct size wise relative to each other and having the top down view more manageable. I was just curious if there was a faster way to zoom out so that I could keep each model at their appropriate size rather than scaling +/or normalizing the larger model.
    When zoomed out at a great distance (Top down view but not fully zoomed out to incorporate all models) moving in the x,z is rather slow due to the amount of virtual distance needing to be covered as well.