Intro-/Logo-Animations (and other motion graphics)

Robin
Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
HitFilm is not only a great video compositor, it is also great for motion graphics and creating video titles, so I thought it might be a good idea to make a special topic dedicated to these kind of videos! So, feel free to post all your intro animations, motion graphics, whatever here!
I'll start with my new intro which I made recently in HitFilm (with funky things like Atomic Particles, the Derez effect and Vortex Distortion):

Now it's your turn, post your motion graphics related videos!

Comments

• KahvehRobinett
    KahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    Very nice! It feels very professional as far as the design and the motion of the logo stand. But it does feel just a bit empty towards the end. . . not that I know what would make it feel "full", but something just seems missing. Just a first impression though, overall I really like it!
  • rgbii
    rgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    I like it! Nice work Robin. I recently played around with a few of my own, but wasn't happy with the length (felt too long), I like the pace and length of yours.
    Richard.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited January 2013
    Nice topic. And I like your ident, Robin! Dynamic and gets through a lot of movement quickly without being confusing.
    The main motion graphicsy ident I've made in HitFilm so far is the PhotoKey ident for our PhotoKey tutorials. The brief was to take the PhotoKey logo and deconstruct it, so that it could then build up gradually in the animation. Here's an example of it in action:

While very simple, putting the Year One video together was quite fun as well, making good use of 3D space to move around different content screens:

Then there's the very simple ident at the end of the What's Your Idea? trailer. We wanted it to be really clear and simple, while still espousing the nature of the software:
  • Robin
    Thanks guys! :D
    But it does feel just a bit empty towards the end. . . not that I know what would make it feel "full", but something just seems missing.
    Yeah I feel the same, I'm pretty sure it's because of the missing sound towards the end. In the beginning the sound is quite spectacular, but then once the Double-R is complete it gets totally chopped of, but I couldn't yet think of what to do about it... When you're dealing with video, you often forget about the importance of good audio and how bad audio can distract from a great video 8-|
    @Simon: Those are some nice examples! Especially the PhotoKey ident, I was not sure if that was made in HitFilm or, like the original HitFilm ident, by some other company... ;) Also I think I need to make use of the 3D compositing more, like in the Year One video. This always looks great but I've never got around to doing something like it...
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    edited January 2013
    Robin- perhaps just a nice deep, deep drum hit with lots of reverb that trails off with the visual. Or some other quick "that's final" type sound.
    You've made me rethink my 'signature'. I think the current one is too long for short vids but I would use it for a short or full length movie. I've seen a lot longer at the theater though. DreamWorks has one with a kid fishing from a crescent moon that has a full minute version. I thought the movie had started. lol

Change the setting to HD for best quality otherwise it looks grainy.
  • Robin

Robin- perhaps just a nice deep, deep drum hit with lots of reverb that trails off with the visual. Or some other quick "that's final" type sound.
    That's a good idea, going to try that!
    Also, I agree on the length of idents. I think especially for youtube videos, they should never be longer than ten seconds, better something like five to six seconds. Otherwise I find myself often already clicking away fro the video... :D Of course, for feature length projects a longer intro is perfectly fine.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited January 2013
    I find HitFilm to be a really good tool for motion graphics. There are some tools like "puppet" that I would love to see added, though.
    On a side note: I really find the line between animation and motion graphics to be pretty well blurred.
    I created the background on this clip by animating a four color grade and then adding some other effects to it:

Heres a Halloween mograph I made:

And my indent/logo that Ive posted here before (Simon, I'm still working on having it morph into a simplified still image like you suggested):
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I think that definition is what was originally intended but, I see a lot of mograph using photos and 3d models (and video) as well. Thats why I think the line between mograph and animation is really blurred now. The background on the Rocket video is procedurally created and I think fits the traditional definition of mograph. But check out this out. I didnt make this but, I would absolutely consider it motion graphics:
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited January 2013
    Interesting, I've never seen motion graphics defined as being entirely procedural. The term to me has always meant any kind of animated visual that isn't trying to depict something real. In other words, stuff like idents, adverts, promos, fancy titling etc. A quick Google seems to indicate that's how it's generally defined.
    Of course, motion graphics can absolutely include procedurally animated stuff. But I've never considered the specific techniques integral to the definition.

Been messing with some motion graphics stuff but HFU is not really up to the task, you can do basic elements using masking like i did here but the work involved is ridiculous because animating masks in HFU is way below par right now.
    Can you go into a bit more detail about what features you'd like to see there?
    EDIT: Just saw your post in the wishlist topic. Thanks!

Just went to reload that project to render it out and bam "HFU says FU" as per usual, it has corrupted the save file, what a PITA, think i need to find something more reliable :(
    Are you frequently encountering corrupted save files? That certainly shouldn't be happening, and isn't something we've had reported from other people. Have you contacted support about it and sent them the corrupted projects?
    In all my usage of HitFilm (which is a LOT), I've never had a corrupted project file, so it'd be good to pinpoint exactly what's going on if you're encountering it a lot.

I actually prefer the remade ident luckily enough ;)
    None of your videos seem to work.
  • TomMc
    TomMc Website User Posts: 112 Just Starting Out
    Certainly in the professional post-production market in the UK, the term Motion Graphics is used to refer to the animation of a a combination of elements into a designed sequence (eg: title sequence etc.), and whilst it can include procedural elements, it is certainly more broad than just that.
    It's generally used to help distinguish between VFX, involving live action footage, Animation, narrative use of computer generated assets and GFX (a combination of compositing, CGI, live action & titles).
    Motion graphics designers often have a background in graphic design, whereas VFX artists and Animators often came from more traditional film-making or technical backgrounds - although this is not always the case!
  • wahabkhan
    wahabkhan Website User Posts: 1

Well i am also interested for a long time in this discussion because i've found something new for all. When i check this i also surprised with their creative animation & art work. They are so professional i must say just check them once :)

Their channels are below:

YouTube | Vimeo | Behance | Twitter | Facebook

• IAMYISH
    IAMYISH Website User Posts: 33 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2016

Not really an intro- but used 90% still images and a few video snippets. 

.https://youtu.be/VlKoa3ZJ4Ho

• IAMYISH
    IAMYISH Website User Posts: 33 Just Starting Out

One more...